themitchyone

Cobra 170

Does anyone have a Cobra 170 main? The question is for a used canopy with a few hundred jumps, needing minor repairs (under $50 worth), what would be a fair price? I know there a lot of factors to be considered, but even for a range I'm not quite sure. Thanks.

-Mitch
"If the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girl's sports such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing." - Homer Simpson

Does anyone have a Cobra 170 main? The question is for a used canopy with a few hundred jumps...

The only parachute called a "Cobra" that I remember, is a 5-cell parachute made in the late-70's and early 80's. No one uses 5-cell parachutes any more. If this is what you are talking about, the design is outdated, and the canopy would be *really* old. If stored properly, it could still be in good shape, but I think you would do better to get something more modern.

More info would be useful...

Thanks. This is a 9-cell canopy, and from what I have been told is a Sabre 2 knockoff. It has been inspected by a rigger who gives the thumbs up (with the exception of needing a few minor repairs) and says it should be a good starter canopy. I just wonder a fair price. I found another thread about the Cobra 170 which also indicated there isn't a lot of info on the canopy. I believe it was a British manufacturer that is now out of business.
"If the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girl's sports such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing." - Homer Simpson

The Cobra was made by Winchester Technologies and marketed in the US by Sky Depot. Nine cell, zp, rectangular like the original Sabre, not tapered like the Sabre2. Wasn't real expensive new (under US$1000 IIRC).

I wouldn't pay more than $300 or so for it, assuming the lines are in trim and in good shape, not because it's a bad canopy/design but because it's so "unknown" you may have issues reselling it later. I'd also suggest putting a jump or two on it before making the purchase final, just to be sure you like the way it opens/lands.