Squeak

All you Hikers out there.

2014 is rapidly approaching.
This time Im doing at least 6 months in South America, then going to Spain and walking the "Camino" (800+kms),

So
Im in the market for a new backpack. in 2009 I traveled with a 70 litre travel pack, I WILL NOT be making that mistake again.
Im looking for a hiking pack around the 50 litre max range.
a couple I am looking into are;
http://www.rei.com/product/829370/deuter-futura-vario-pro-50-10-pack
http://www.rei.com/product/809321/gregory-z40-pack#video-inner
http://www.rei.com/product/808425/osprey-talon-44-pack
http://www.rei.com/product/828428/osprey-atmos-50-pack

Why dont I just by locally you may ask, well simple, NONE of the manufacturers actually really do anything in that size for Australia. Loads of 60+ but very few smaller hiking packs.

So. What are your learned recommendations?
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I love my Osprey...AND it knows "The Way" ! ;)

The thing is Squeak~

It's REALLY tough to recommend a backpack to someone else.

I've done a fair amount of hiking and you kinda have to go & physically put several on that are in the class you're considering, and walk around with it for a while.

When we did the Camino I knew I wanted to stay under 50 liter, no frame, high riding, no camel but with EZ access side pockets for water bottles. Intent was to hump no more than 40 pounds in it.

I literally spent 5 hours in REI loading various packs with 35-40 pounds & then walking around the store, up & down the stairs...etc.

I'm a big guy but don't use a 'large' pack, the harness on the medium Osprey fit perfectly...wouldn't have known that without trying both.

I didn't like the way ANY of the REI brand packs fit me, some were made a bit 'stronger' maybe than the Osprey but it wasn't worth the extra weight & loss of comfort...IMO.

I really liked my choice. Saw a LOT of Osprey packs in various sizes during the hike. A guy from Norway asked why all 'us Americans' were using them...we traded packs for an hour & he wanted to buy mine for double what I paid! Ya don't see them for sale there in Spain. :D

I highly recommend the Osprey, but type & size are something ya probably don't want to guess at and mail order...

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

If I was going to go around poking things, I'd prefer a longer stick.:P
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

That's 550 wrapped around the top, spend all day with your stick in hand - ya don't want any blisters! :)

That's 550 wrapped around the top, spend all day with your stick in hand - ya don't want any blisters! :)

Your walking stick seems to have a little point on the end - what's that all about?

I like a rubber tip on mine, but they wear out in a week hiking on rock, so I keep a spare in my backpack. I like the grip I get with that, as otherwise it can slip while you're trying to pole vault a muddy ditch or use it for support.

In my experience, if you are going to hike a lot, you'd be better off with something like this:

http://www.gregorypacks.com/products/mens/technical/324/contour-50

Mostly because it is just more comfortable and the way you can organize your stuff makes more sense for trail use.

If you won't be trekking that much, the osprey talon is hard to beat. I used mine backpacking for about 12 months and I reckon it could last another 3 months easy. Being so lightweight, it is easier to tear small holes on it and the material is easier to get dirty.

For my next trip I'm buying the Gregory contour, I just love how efficiently you can access the gear you need on the trail and it is a bit more comfortable and waterproof than the osprey. On the other end the osprey is lighter, easier to pack because of the small hipbelt (like if you need to put the backpack on a bike or bus top) and cheaper.

hope this helps!

Edited to add, that I agree that you should try them on if at all possible; I love arcteryx backpacks, but they don't fit my body as well as osprey or gregory. Also, I need a large back with a medium hipbelt on some models, while being only 5'7".

Your walking stick seems to have a little point on the end - what's that all about?

I like a rubber tip on mine, but they wear out in a week hiking on rock, so I keep a spare in my backpack. I like the grip I get with that, as otherwise it can slip while you're trying to pole vault a muddy ditch or use it for support.

That's a 1/2" hardened steel point, it threads into a steel 'cup' on the dirty end of the stick...they too get replaced when needed - which isn't very often. ;)

I find the sharp point actually gives ya a lot more 'traction' on steep trails & is especially useful on loose and or wet gravel type terrain...pretty handy in a bar fight too! :D

Haulin' ass on a steep downgrade is much easier when the tip grabs anywhere ya put it...I've use rubber ends but after 12-16 hrs hiking I'm too tired to watch for good placement...simpler to grap & stab.

If you won't be trekking that much, the osprey talon is hard to beat. I used mine backpacking for about 12 months and I reckon it could last another 3 months easy. Being so lightweight, it is easier to tear small holes on it and the material is easier to get dirty.

Yeah that was a bit of a concern I had...pretty lightweight in comparison with several others.

Then I figured as long as it made it through the Camino I'd be happy.

I did bring my usual handyman kit & bought/took a sqft of matching nylon in case I needed to patch it...but it came through like a champ.

I've been using it a lot out on the left coast recently, doing trails that require some climbing instead of just hiking...and yeah she's getting a bit dirty! :ph34r:

That's a 1/2" hardened steel point, it threads into a steel 'cup' on the dirty end of the stick...they too get replaced when needed - which isn't very often. ;)

I find the sharp point actually gives ya a lot more 'traction' on steep trails & is especially useful on loose and or wet gravel type terrain...pretty handy in a bar fight too! :D

Haulin' ass on a steep downgrade is much easier when the tip grabs anywhere ya put it...I've use rubber ends but after 12-16 hrs hiking I'm too tired to watch for good placement...simpler to grap & stab.

Sounds like it would work well in a lot of situations. Handy for picking up trash too. But I spend a lot of time on solid rock, and I'm not sure about it there.

Attached: The top end of my long-time walking stick. I thought about wrapping it in parachute cord like you did, to symbolize my love of skydiving. But I went with a more native materials look instead. The grip is wrapped in leather, with the ends held in place by sinew. And on top is a buffalo nickle representing the West which I love.

The top end of my long-time walking stick. I thought about wrapping it in parachute cord like you did, to symbolize my love of skydiving. But I went with a more native materials look instead. The grip is wrapped in leather, with the ends held in place by sinew. And on top is a buffalo nickle representing the West which I love.

I went with 550 because it's soft & grippy, somewhat water proof and if I need any to tie something off, it's right handy! B|

I also have a tradition of marking up my stick during a hike...a simple sentence or two, a few times a day - written with a sharpie.

Sometimes it's where I'm at what day, maybe how far traveled, or what pace I'm holding, sometimes people I meet, something I saw...drew a cool pic of a dead fish someone gave me one afternoon! :o

...was a whole lotta 'MY FEET HURT!!' after the latest 800km in 30...:D

It's usually a pretty interesting & funny 'log' to look through when home...then I sand it off for the NEXT adventure! :)

I also have a tradition of marking up my stick during a hike...a simple sentence or two, a few times a day - written with a sharpie.

That's a neat idea. I'd hate to erase 'em though!

I carve a notch down the side of my stick for every place I've hiked. Groups of 10. Several rows, representing hundreds of places.

A notch can be an loosely-defined thing though. A week in one national park is one notch. And a 6-hour day hike while passing through someplace is also one notch.

Check out the REI branded packs. I've been super happy with mine.

Regardless of brand, go for the lightest empty pack weight you can get that still has the features you want. You'll be glad you did.

That's the plan, but Im not familar with the quality or durability of most of those packs
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Im not familar with the quality or durability of most of those packs

I've had no issues with quality or durability with any REI branded stuff. Put 3 weeks of hard use on the pack (PCT), along with some overnights; still in great shape.

Not quite as easy for you to do from there as it is here, but they will take anything back, even if it's been well used.

That's the plan, but Im not familar with the quality or durability of most of those packs

Check out MysteryRanch. http://www.mysteryranch.com Company is owned by Dana Gleason, who started this company after Dana Designs.

I just got a Mystery Ranch Big Sky. 50L, bomber construction. Interesting zipper system for quick access to the guts of the pack. Mine is for longer, weekend backcountry skiing, weekend backpacking/mountaineering, travel. Its not an ultralight pack and it was pricey but quality is top notch. I don't expect to be buying another pack for many, many years.

OK, short story:
When I hike in the summer, I carry a stick about 5 or 6 feet long. A while back, I started out on a trail in a local state park. A guy saw me, looked at my stick and asked, "Why do you have such a long stick?". I replied, "In case I meet a long snake.".
You should have seen the expression on his face. I guess he hadn't considered that possibility.
You don't have to outrun the bear.