strife

Door

http://www.perthnow.com.au/travel/news/emergency-exit-door-opened-in-explosion-on-emirates-airbus-a380/story-fn30173u-1226579347708

A TOURIST has told of his flight of terror when he claims an emergency exit on a superjumbo blew open at 27,000ft.

Briton David Reid and his son Lewis feared a bomb had gone off after hearing a "massive explosion" two hours into their flight on the brand new $376 million Emirates Airbus A380

Ummm....ok. I wasn't there. So, I hate to be too judgmental. But....

It 'blew open'? It opened 1.5 inches or 3.8cm. I would describe that as came open or cracked open. Disconcerting, to be sure. But 'blew open'? And the stewardess had the presence of mind to work the intercom, but was hysterical enough to scream in terror and hide under a seat?

I know it has to be unnerving to have your plane do something it shouldn't at 27,000ft, but to describe it in such terms later? OK....
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

There's a lot about that story that doesn't add up. Any opening at that altitude should result in cabin pressure being lost and the oxygen masks deploying. The crew isn't going to keep trucking on to wherever. I'm guessing that there was some whistling around the door and the guy freaked out about it. Now in that situation I could see the crew putting blankets around the door to try to get him to settle down.

It wouldn't surprise me if he got a chest infection on the plane though, you're wallowing in the filth of several flights worth of passengers, in close quarters, with recirculating air. What exactly do you think is going to happen?
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

An Airbus spokesman said: "It is not possible for a cabin door to open on an A380 or on any aircraft whilst in flight, as doors open inwards and have locking mechanisms."

I call BS.

The doors don't open inward, they open outward. However, they open with the hinges facing the front of the aircraft, so it would be almost impossible to open them in flight. You'd think that a spokesman for a company would know enough about their product so that he could speak intelligently. :S
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

An Airbus spokesman said: "It is not possible for a cabin door to open on an A380 or on any aircraft whilst in flight, as doors open inwards and have locking mechanisms."

I call BS.

The doors don't open inward, they open outward. However, they open with the hinges facing the front of the aircraft, so it would be almost impossible to open them in flight. You'd think that a spokesman for a company would know enough about their product so that he could speak intelligently. :S

Video of an A380 door closing...taken by someone unable to hold a camera correctly.:S
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdk68bvZpa0
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Next time the pax should take a nice relaxing cruise.
What could go wrong?

WAG new plane, door gasket made in china .

Boeing makes the new ,Dream liner. With parts from everywhere. What could go wrong.?

Got to make some repairs to my 2003 car, watched the D.I.Y.video on you tube,
What could go wrong?

Life is like a box of chocolate.

R.
s
One Jump Wonder

The doors don't open inward, they open outward. However, they open with the hinges facing the front of the aircraft, so it would be almost impossible to open them in flight.

Let's say the door is about 6.5' x 3' and the pressure differential is about 8 psi at 27,000'. That's about 11 tons of force outward on that door. And the slipstream of the plane is actually pulling the door out slightly due to Bernoulli's principle. It sounds like a partial failure of the latching mechanism, if I'm reading the story correctly. Why the masks didn't deploy, I don't know, but scary as hell. :o

It was a similar setup on the DC-10 cargo door that cause the loss of at least one, maybe several aircraft, before they figured out the problem.

It's economics. A door that closes from the inside takes up cargo/passenger space while open and also requires a heavier structure to cope with the pressure stress on the frame. An outside door can be made with a lighter surrounding structure because it carries some of the load when it latches in place. It also maximizes your interior space, but is inherently less safe.

I call BS.

I thought the emergency exit opened by pulling them inward not pushing them out. i am probably wrong though
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, all used up, and loudly proclaiming: Wow, what a ride!

I call BS.

I thought the emergency exit opened by pulling them inward not pushing them out. i am probably wrong though

All the pictures I've ever seen show the doors opening outward. J.M. probably knows WAY more about aircraft than me. :)
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

I call BS.

All the pictures I've ever seen show the doors opening outward. J.M. probably knows WAY more about aircraft than me. :)

On a lot of aircraft, the overwing emergency exit doors open in. I've never been in an A380 and don't know how those doors open.
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery