What is this annoying font?

Talking about the bold vertical lines in R's, D's, i's l's... It seems to be used in some blogs.

http://oldmachinepress.wordpress.com/2012/08/29/one-second-on-the-course-with-dreadnought-by-tom-fey/

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

That doesn't look as pronounced as the text on the page I linked. Maybe it's the way it shows on my screen, but it looks like intentional bolding of some components of some letters.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Are you talking about the "Old Machine Press"?

No, the main text of the article. For example, in "Dreadnought is truly", the vert line in the cap D is bolder than the rest, as are i and the l. Could be something about my computer, but it only looks that way on some sites, usu blogs. Screenshot attached....

-NickDG

I don't know. Every page looks normal except for a very, very few sites that look like that. Old graphics card maybe?

-NickDG

You need to adjust your Cleartype settings.

Will try that after switching to XP. Dual boot right now. Thanks.

-NickDG

BIOS is 2003. 2004 or so. 512 Mb RAM:D Been thinking about building a new one. Really.

Your issue is software, not hardware.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

BIOS is 2003. 2004 or so. 512 Mb RAM:D Been thinking about building a new one. Really.

Your issue is software, not hardware.

Yes. I rebooted and am running XP right now. Kinda got busy with other things and never finished migrating to XP. The text on that site looks normal using XP. I thought it was some weird font, but never looked into it until now. Thanks to all for the help.

-NickDG

Was that under Linux? You can do some stuff to improve the font rendering, but they're fairly obscure things and not set up by default on every distribution. If you google around on Linux font rendering you can find some documents on the subject.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Was that under Linux? You can do some stuff to improve the font rendering, but they're fairly obscure things and not set up by default on every distribution. If you google around on Linux font rendering you can find some documents on the subject.

No, win2k.

-NickDG

No, the main text of the article. For example, in "Dreadnought is truly", the vert line in the cap D is bolder than the rest, as are i and the l. Could be something about my computer, but it only looks that way on some sites, usu blogs. Screenshot attached....

what you linked in the pic is NOTHING like what I see in the actua lined page. I think it may be your computer settings
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

what you linked in the pic is NOTHING like what I see in the actua lined page. I think it may be your computer settings

It's probably due to my OS, Win2k. It's only 2013, so Win2k should be good until 2999, right? WTF?

;)

-NickDG

Hmm. Check the control panel. I vaguely seem to recall there being an esoteric "fonts" option, either under Fonts or in your video card driver settings, that would allow you to enable stuff like sub-pixel aliasing and font smoothing. Win2K should have reasonably solid truetype font rendering. They were doing stuff like that much earlier than then.

I don't recall if the MS Truetype core fonts came out before Win2K or not. I think they did, so they're probably already in the OS. I've been installing them on Linux machines for as long as I can remember.

It might be worth poking around a bit if you do a lot of work on Win2K, but the industry has moved on from there. So it might turn out you're just kind of stuck with that.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?