FallloutboyDAoC

I need a real conversation. I lack perspective.

'Cause cheap jokes are fun.

This is the internet.

If you want deep, meaningful conversation, you need to go to a bar. :)
Spite and the other stuff, well, maybe you're having a bad week or hanging out with the wrong people. I work with a lot of very strong egos, both good and bad. I just try to let it roll off my back.

I want to know what the next step in evolution is. I want to know if selflessness can ever become the majority.

Life is selfish. Survival means overcoming others. We kill other life so we can eat, can live. Evolution will never create a race of Mother Theresas. But we can learn to get along and work together for the common good. Big difference, though.

And the "no jokes" thing. That ain't gonna happen around here. :P

Life is selfish. Survival means overcoming others. We kill other life so we can eat, can live.

That's the old model. We can go back to that at any time, and chances are an extinction level event will force it at some point in order to ensure the survival of the species. But for the time being, we have emotional comfort. We have the opportunity to create something new. I want to see what can come out of these complex emotions we've developed as human beings.

I think an extinction level event is more likely to result in extinction. Humanity seems to think it has a god-given right to exist. The universe really doesn't care what happens to us, though. The species really has only been making progress for a few thousand years, though we'd been using tools for maybe a few tens of thousands. That's not even a blink of the universe's eye. If any humans are around in fifty thousand years or so, I'd be awfully surprised. I probably don't get to see the end of our story, but sooner or later it's going to end. Everything does, eventually.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

I think an extinction level event is more likely to result in extinction. Humanity seems to think it has a god-given right to exist. The universe really doesn't care what happens to us, though.

We are the universe. We are a part of this system. There is no separate conscious looking down upon us or pitying us. We're here. We're making shit happen. We are progressing. We've always been progressing. We will never stop progressing. If we go extinct, progression will not suddenly stop.

Go to bed, and if you still need to tells us this stuff in the morning, then.....

We'll talk. :S

This shit has been floating around in my head for as long as i've been alive. It hasn't been until now that i've adjusted emotionally enough to articulate all of this and make an attempt at satisfying my curiosity, my need to know.

Go to bed, and if you still need to tells us this stuff in the morning, then.....

We'll talk. :S

This shit has been floating around in my head for as long as i've been alive. It hasn't been until now that i've adjusted emotionally enough to articulate all of this and make an attempt ad satisfying my curiosity, my need to know.

And that's cool. Take notes (for reference). Night :)
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

I want to know what the next step in evolution is. I want to know if selflessness can ever become the majority.

There is a really good book called The Time Machine about a futuristic world that lives in what seems to becomplete peace and happiness that has come about from evolution.
Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

There is a really good book called The Time Machine about a futuristic world that lives in what seems to becomplete peace and happiness that has come about from evolution.

Sounds like my cup of tea, thanks for the info.

I'm more interested in knowledge than world peace. On the large scale, cosmology enthralls me. On the small scale, quantum mechanics perplexes me. And on the combined scale? Well, black holes just seem otherworldly. I want to know if selflessness can prevail, because with selflessness comes opportunity and freedom. Opportunity and freedom to expand and explore.

I want to know the answers to this universe, but i don't believe i have the tools for that. But someone does. Maybe a whole lot of people do. Maybe all we need is a little room for opportunity to prosper, but i'm not quite sure how this space for opportunity and freedom can be cleared out and made ready.

Why do cheap jokes, spite and condescension plague advanced society so miserably?

Okay, even though this is how I make my bread and butter, I'm going to have to be honest about it -- I believe it's the media.

This is NOT a concerted effort on anyone's part. It's not. And I'm not talking about Rush Limbaugh or Glen Beck or Rachel Maddow or Bill Maher either. I'm talking straight up media; the comedies and dramas you, me and everybody else watches for fun.

Every single one of them is based on a driving force; CONFLICT. It is the alpha and omega of every story. Without conflict, there is no story.

And this is exactly how it's been since the dawn of time. What's different is the amount of it we watch day after day, night after night. AND who are the most interesting characters in all of this? The people with the sharpest tongues and quickest wits. AND they all seem to end up being rewarded for it too.

Is it any wonder this is now how most people approach life?

As I said, it's not something that is intentional. We see it and to a certain extent we imitate it.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Why do cheap jokes, spite and condescension plague advanced society so miserably?

Okay, even though this is how I make my bread and butter, I'm going to have to be honest about it -- I believe it's the media.

This is NOT a concerted effort on anyone's part. It's not. And I'm not talking about Rush Limbaugh or Glen Beck or Rachel Maddow or Bill Maher either. I'm talking straight up media; the comedies and dramas you, me and everybody else watches for fun.

Every single one of them is based on a driving force; CONFLICT. It is the alpha and omega of every story. Without conflict, there is no story.

And this is exactly how it's been since the dawn of time. What's different is the amount of it we watch day after day, night after night. AND who are the most interesting characters in all of this? The people with the sharpest tongues and quickest wits. AND they all seem to end up being rewarded for it too.

Is it any wonder this is now how most people approach life?

As I said, it's not something that is intentional. We see it and to a certain extent we imitate it.

Well put. But to me, this form of conflict that we try so hard to imitate is played out. Done. Stagnant. It amazes me that these patterns haven't been figured out yet, but i've also discovered that observing simple patterns is one of the most difficult things to do, especially if you are caught up in the center of them. Creating inconsistencies in the consistencies is where progress stems from.

Internal conflict is where it's at for me now. The conscious battling the sub-conscious. Feeling the overpowering need to fuck, reproduce, dominate, control, and having the understanding to know these things are hurtful to emotional progression. Societal progression. Our instincts remain so very strong in order to maintain the life of the species as a whole, yet when one individual is able to control these instincts and use their emotional progression to manipulate the world around them to better benefit the quality of life in the immediate vicinity, well everyone is drawn to that. Everyone wants to be around that. And people go through tremendous emotional pain when they experience this, and it gets taken away. And not even if it gets taken away. If it just simply naturally leaves, people become unbelievably sad. But just sad. Not spiteful. Not condescending.

Internal conflict is where it's at for me now. The conscious battling the sub-conscious.

Okay, but understand that's what a screenwriter would call "an unfilmable." Stories on film and TV happen mostly about things that can be seen or heard because, well, it's motion PICTURES first and foremost with dialogue coming in second (usually when the budget won't allow for expensive exposition scenes).

Perhaps if we as a society READ more.

It would slow down the rate of consumption and could be more thoughtful as well.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Internal conflict is where it's at for me now. The conscious battling the sub-conscious.

Okay, but understand that's what a screenwriter would call "an unfilmable." Stories on film and TV happen mostly about things that can be seen or heard because, well, it's motion PICTURES first and foremost with dialogue coming in second (usually when the budget won't allow for expensive exposition scenes).

Perhaps if we as a society READ more.

It would slow down the rate of consumption and could be more thoughtful as well.

I guess this is where it gets strange. I'd like to see the idea of internal conflict illustrated through the primitive instincts. I want to see large battles between 2 different sides, actual battles with guns and swords or whatever tickles your fancy but with different meaning. Trying to kill the negative emotional spectrum. Being at war with the negative emotional spectrum.

I think an extinction level event is more likely to result in extinction. Humanity seems to think it has a god-given right to exist. The universe really doesn't care what happens to us, though.

We are the universe. We are a part of this system. There is no separate conscious looking down upon us or pitying us. We're here. We're making shit happen. We are progressing. We've always been progressing. We will never stop progressing. If we go extinct, progression will not suddenly stop.

Yes. If humanity dies off, the universe will just try again. Maybe with raccoons or something. I sometimes wonder if it needs life in order to perceive itself, having no other way to do so. Of course, I sometimes wonder if it's all just some undergrad's semester final project to demonstrate in simulation how hydrogen might be turned into plutonium. So your mileage may vary, really.

I feel like consciousness is largely an illusion. Continuity certainly is. If you think back to the person you were when you were six, you have basically nothing in common with that person other than your DNA. Your six-year-old self would probably not even recognize you. All your dreams, goals, desires and priorities are completely different between these two points in time. And yet you probably would feel that you were the same person if you thought back on it.

Most of us are terrified of death, of ceasing to exist, but how much of that six-year-old past-you really remains? Was that transition to now-you all that frightening? Would you go back if you had the option? Bound by time as we are, we have to keep marching forward whether we want to or not. You can live in fear of the end of the journey for every step of the way, or you can move forward confidently and just accept whatever comes.

I have enough pride that I would rather proceed without fear of the things I don't know. I used to be afraid of the dark, when I was a child. Before I realized that I was the most frightening thing in it. I grew out of it. A lot of people don't.

That's why I can look out the door of a plane, knowing full well that the only thing between me and that unknown darkness is some gear I'm entrusting my life to and my ability to act to save my own life. If something happens, it happens, but damned if I won't put up a fight. If that's not enough, well, something else would have got me sooner or later anyway. But I'm proud to have not been just another herd animal with fear crazed eyes, jumping at every unknown shadow. I don't know what the universe is up to, but I'm happy with the meaning I've found in my existence.

So, was that what you were after?
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?