skydived19006

N8873X

Anyone know anything about this airplane? Seems that the government is selling it. A Western Region skydiver, David Major, busted an Obama TFR in it, maybe not all that large of a deal in of it's self. But, he also had 40lbs of cannabis on board. It has a jump door on it.
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

This turned up in a google search http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/N8879X.html

and this http://www.aviationdb.com/Aviation/Aircraft/8/N8879X.shtm

and this http://www.regosearch.com/aircraft/us/8879X

and this http://www.planedesire.com/aircraft/desire/N8879X/details.html says not for sale, though I can't verify that.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

AhHahahahaha!!!

Note to self, If you're gonna bust a Presidential TFR, don't be running drugs at the same time.

:D:D:D:D

Hey, some people are just natural multi-taskers.:|
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

The NOTAM points out three areas pilots are to avoid because President Obama will be there and to maintain an altitude of at least 3,000 feet when over these areas.

Here is what happens if you do not read the NOTAMs:

News item - " Pot-laden plane blows into Obama's air space"

Two Air Force F-16 fighters intercepted a privately owned Cessna airplane that entered the same Los Angeles airspace as Marine One on Thursday as the helicopter was ferrying President Barack Obama.

Police discovered about 40 pounds of marijuana inside the plane after it landed at Long Beach Airport.

Fulano checked around. The pot-laden plane was a Cessna 182, registration N8873X. It is owned by a David W. Major, who lives in Grover Beach, California. Fulano did some more checking and found that David W. Major does not have a pilot's license. He does have an old expired student pilots license, a mechanics license to work on aircraft, a flight engineer's license, and even a parachute rigging license. He just doesn't have a pilot' s license. It probably doesn't matter now. I don't think he will have need to check any more NOTAMs.
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

Yeah, I'd already been around the internet with Google. It also had a landing at one point where the pilot mistook a taxi way for a runway, got off the side, and it read like it folded the nose gear.

Here's the advert:
1961 CESSNA 182D • SEALED BID SALE • U.S. Marshals Service Sealed Bid Sale of Forfeited Aircraft. 1961 Cessna 182D, S/N: 18253273; T/N: N8873X; Minimum Bid: $14,000.00; Bid Deposit: $3,500.00; Aircraft Located at: Skywest Airport (K7T7) 10,000 SCR 1210, MIDLAND, TEXAS 79706 Viewing Date/Time: March 18, 2013; 9:00AM until 4:00PM, CST Bid Closing: 11:00 AM CST, March 20, 2013 Bid Opening: 11:01 AM CST, March 20, 2013 at Aero Mod Hangar, 2506 N. Pliska Dr., Midland Int'l Airport, Midland, Texas 79706 • Contact Jack Bagwell - AERO MOD SERVICE, Event Coordinator - located Midland, TX USA • Telephone: 432-557-5197 . 432-563-1666 . • Posted February 25, 2013 •

In a Specs Page, it's noted that there are no log books.

AC DZ

I wonder how many non pilots read notams :ph34r:

Not knowing that the Prez is in town and flying into the TFR is a big one. Kind of like driving after drinking, it's a good idea to try to obey the speed limit. He's a skydiver, rigger, A&P, etc, he should have known enough to have avoided this.

That said, it happens quite often.

AC DZ

I remember a blurb about this online when it happened. Showed the 182 being pushed into a hangar after being confiscated. I've been waiting for them to auction it!
I also remember hearing later that he didn't have a pilots license, just an old student ticket from the 70's

It is possible that he had the swing up door mod done so he could pop it in flight and throw bundles. ;)

At least, that's what I would do. :)

"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

AhHahahahaha!!!

Note to self, If you're gonna bust a Presidential TFR, don't be running drugs at the same time.

:D:D:D:D

Wow, dope running skydivers? Someone should make some movies about that...

oh.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

It is possible that he had the swing up door mod done so he could pop it in flight and throw bundles. ;)

You watch too many movies.:D

Hey, practice spotting and an easy delivery method for the drugs.

Problem is, when do you get the cash??
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

Money transfers and a phone app? :P
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Prop doesn't turn until the money is in my overseas account ;)

Up front...

Up front...

The propeller would make quick work of it up there.