tigepigeon

student with a GoPro Camera

There...I said what the rest of DZ.com has been thinking for eons. I know none of you would say the same things to someone's face, so why be an asshole hiding behind your computer screen?

Have some f-ing respect...

Huh.... I have no clue why you felt the need to go nuclear here. Maybe you could show me where I was an 'asshole' here?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Too scared or too new? Do you think every single persons' first thought when joining dz.com is to make sure their profile is as accurate and complete as possible to minimize the risk of being considered a troll? Have you considered that its not a conspiracy?
"When once you have tasted flight..."

Your post was one of the more informative ones posted...far from the worst. I just don't understand why people need to call troll, need to be smart asses, jerks etc... A NEW jumper asked a question, for which he had no better idea on if it was possible or a stupid question or who knows.

A simple, "sorry dude, as per the USPA, you must have 200 jumps to jump a camera. I know the GoPro is bit different, but it can actually cause many problems. It could snag a line on your canopy, you could be distracted with it and lose track of altitude....etc etc..."

I don't know this person from a hole in the ground, but this is a daily occurrence on DZ.com. If you're tired of people asking "troll like" questions, fucking ignore them...don't shit on someone who has no idea why you're pissed off, calling them a troll, making smart assed comments.

I'm just tired of people needing to express how much of an asshole they can be. I guarantee...that if a student walked up to any person who commented in this thread in person and asked if they can help him mount a go pro to his helmet, their approach would be horribly different.

+1
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

A simple, "sorry dude, as per the USPA, you must have 200 jumps to jump a camera. I know the GoPro is bit different, but it can actually cause many problems. It could snag a line on your canopy, you could be distracted with it and lose track of altitude....etc etc..."

But you CAN'T say that, because it's not a BSR, its only a recommendation.

"c. A USPA C license is recommended."

Not required. Some DZ's will let you get away with strapping one on sooner, but it doesn't mean you should. Only 2 that I know of will let you get away with it under 100 jumps, and even then, it was the DZO's call.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

If it's only a recommendation, why do all the dz.com "safety officers" get their panties in a bunch over it. They're trying to enforce a rule that doesn't exist.

In my eyes, if he/she asked, and it's only a BSR, it is a completely valid question. It's up to their DZO/Safety Officer to make the official call.

Point is, DZ.commers have nothing better to do than to spend their time discouraging new skydivers from asking questions and making them think this sport is made up of a bunch of assholes. Do you think it would be better for students to ask and get told the facts, or to know that they're going to catch hell for even asking and hide a camera in their jumpsuit to connect in the plane where no one will see?

but it doesn't mean you should

Nope, but it means you "could".
"When once you have tasted flight..."

How the hell did you guys get to fly T-10s with no patches on them?
E N V Y
:(

I firmly believe, even to this day, that somewhere amongst all those patches there WAS some original material...I firmly believe that.
:D:D

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

After all the old fuddy duddys quit jumping everyone's gonna have a gopro!

And still look like complete wankers ...

The main reason for not having one stuck to your helmet should for style reasons.[:/]

GoPro is an ugly POS[full stop].

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

And still look like complete wankers ...

The main reason for not having one stuck to your helmet should for style reasons.[:/]

GoPro is an ugly POS[full stop].

this.
What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

Yup. And then there won't BE no more old fuddy duddys to keep new guys back :)
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom