tigepigeon

student with a GoPro Camera

So I am going through my AFF, and waiting for a nice day to get in jump 6. Its been a while because West Texas gets a little windy. So I have been glued to youtube and my tandem video in the mean time.

I just bought a GoPro camera that I know will click onto my student helmet. Has anyone ever allowed student to do this?

Has anyone been using a Go Pro?

You'll get a lot of feedback on that. The answer is no. Your instructors aren't going to let you use it on your AFF jumps. You need 200 jumps minimum according to the SIM to jump with a camera, and that includes low-profile cameras like the GoPro.

Do a search for "GoPro" for more discussion..
I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option.

You apparently have some time to surf the web:

Read:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3894693;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;

and

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3033162;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;

As an Instructor I will say, nobody will let you jump camera and its stupid idea.

Put your Go Pro away until you have the required experience.

Go for it...the GoPro is a very low-risk camera...at your level of experience you should be able to fly a camera by now

If he is a real student.... He does not know you are being sarcastic.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

whats the difference between a camera on the side of your head, or a radio when you do AFF?

Most radios I have seen have a much lower profile.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I understand and agree with the 200 jump idea. My thing is how does it become a distraction? I mean you turn the thing on, forget about it, and perform the planned dive. Am I missing something? I know that some people get distracted by them for whatever reason, but seeing how you can edit footage AFTER, who cares about letting the thing run for a long time etc.

I do agree however that they have been the cause of some incidents, whether it be distraction or snags. I do not plan on jumping with a camera, unless Im getting paid to do it.
Moriuntur omnes, sed non omnes vixerunt.

My thing is how does it become a distraction? I mean you turn the thing on, forget about it, and perform the planned dive.

The thing is while you say, "turn it on and forget it"... People don't when they should and do when they shouldn't.

1. People often try to get a cool shot when they should be doing something else.

2. People forget about it when they should be remembering it is there... Like on deployment.

I know that some people get distracted by them for whatever reason

And that's the whole point....

I do not plan on jumping with a camera, unless Im getting paid to do it.

Then you will do neither -- you need many camera jumps prior to developing skills worth paying for.

As for as distractions, it has been rehashed many times elsewhere.

that is what I meant, I know I cant just throw a camera on my head and be a video flyer.

eh, its fine I wasnt really looking for an argument on the issue. Sorry I didnt look elsewhere first.
Moriuntur omnes, sed non omnes vixerunt.