Squeak

Compact Cameras

So as some of you know I'm off to travel the globe again in December.
Consequently I'm in the process of organising equipment. based on lessons learned from 2009s expedition I am doing things a little differently, (i.e. LIGHTER)

I have ordered our back packs, and I am now looking at getting a compact camera.
(I took my SLR and lenses last time and they were WAY to heavy).

So who's using what in the way of compact cameras.
requirements.
Rugged
Water proof( resistant)
Shock proof
decent M pixels
SMALL
Not to $$$pendy.:)So what are your expert opinions on Compacts:)
(please refrain from one liner smart arsed answers, but if you can't control your dickheadness, then have at it)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Not trying to lay down a one-liner, but wouldn't your phone cameras be enough? The difference between a phonecam and an SLR is pretty significant, but if you're just considering a point-and-shoot...

Elvisio "damn things need a breathalyzer attached to them more than automobiles do" Rodriguez

Not trying to lay down a one-liner, but wouldn't your phone cameras be enough? The difference between a phonecam and an SLR is pretty significant, but if you're just considering a point-and-shoot...

Elvisio "damn things need a breathalyzer attached to them more than automobiles do" Rodriguez

My thoughts exactly. Spend the money on a new phone.

My daughter has a Droid that is waterproof.

Unless you're going to get a compact camera with interchangeable lenses.

What is your end game with the photos?

I've got a 40D; what it will do, a phone can't touch, but if you're not planning on an album of large size, or printing them on a large scale, why have a separate "gadget?"

Although, a phone without a wrist leash is the reason to buy a camera.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

So as some of you know I'm off to travel the globe again in December.
Consequently I'm in the process of organising equipment. based on lessons learned from 2009s expedition I am doing things a little differently, (i.e. LIGHTER)

I have ordered our back packs, and I am now looking at getting a compact camera.
(I took my SLR and lenses last time and they were WAY to heavy).

So who's using what in the way of compact cameras.
requirements.
Rugged
Water proof( resistant)
Shock proof
decent M pixels
SMALL
Not to $$$pendy.:)So what are your expert opinions on Compacts:)
(please refrain from one liner smart arsed answers, but if you can't control your dickheadness, then have at it)

Hey Squeak,

I bought a Fuji XP20 from Dick Smith for about $120 that is waterproof to 5m. If you want to have a play with it, I'll bring it out to the dz. It has digital zoom but not optical. They don't appear to be on the website, but it was only about 6 weeks ago.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Just bought two Sony NEX5's. Love em' so far.
Have a pancake on order for it, but you would be happy with the stock lens, I'm sure.

OK, now I have an image of a bunny & a pancake in my head.:S
So WTH is a "pancake"?
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I have a Canon PowerShot D10 that I got for my Grand Canyon rafting trip. I've been very happy with it in terms of ruggedness and photo quality.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Phone camera is not versatile enough with regards to water, hiking, rafting, they ussually wont survive a bath, and they generally have no lanyard, although not totally out of the question, I'll look into it also.:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Phone camera is not versatile enough with regards to water, hiking, rafting, they ussually wont survive a bath, and they generally have no lanyard, although not totally out of the question, I'll look into it also.:)

Just get a Go-Pro then grab what you want later :ph34r:

Pencil and a sketchbook!

Ok probably not ideal for keeping the weight down but still a fun idea.

Saw a few people doing this on my travels last year. My favourite part of this idea is giving the book to someone else and have them draw or write something for you.

Could make for some cool memories.

As for the camera you can have a look at mine. Its water proof and as for ruggedness it didn't break when I took this picture :P

Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

Pencil and a sketchbook!

Ok probably not ideal for keeping the weight down but still a fun idea.

Saw a few people doing this on my travels last year. My favourite part of this idea is giving the book to someone else and have them draw or write something for you.

As for the camera you can have a look at mine. Its water proof and as for ruggedness it didn't break when I took this picture :P

Fucken hell a sea monster:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r: Ill check out your camera later :)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Unless ya leave that shit laying around a bunch of skydivers.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Unless ya leave that shit laying around a bunch of skydivers.

Well, it'd still be cool. Probably obscene, definitely tasteless and obnoxious, but still cool.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

One thing to think about is a visual vs. electronic viewfinder. With a visual one (i.e. little peephole), you don't use the battery as much, because you can leave the display off.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Not an expert opinion, but I had the same requirements a few years back. I bought a small canon sd870is and it was an awesome camera for the price and size. It had a wide lens, and with the waterproof case I bought for it I could take it underwater to 40m, wich is deeper than most waterproof cameras, and there's less chances of flooding.

Nowadays the small compacts are way better, and I played with a canon s100 and was really impressed. Better image quality, better videos, longer zoom, wider and faster lens, etc. You have a ring you can turn, and you can assign a few different functions to it (zoom, focus, etc), wich is really handy for macro shots and other difficult shots for compact cameras.

The s100 is no longer the latest model, so you can find it for pretty cheap, around 250$. For the waterproof case, around 100$.

Also, the camera is small enough to put in a pant front pocket, so you can have it with you most of the time.

Here are a couple of pics that show the image quality of the sd870, but keep in mind the s100 is way better in all aspects.

Hope this helps!

I have the Canon SD1000 (newest version is the SD1200). I'm happy with it, except that the battery is expensive and hard to find. It's rechargable, but sometimes it wears out from that, too. Easy to remember how to use all the various settings without having to re-read the instruction book :)
That said, we ended up using my husband's iphone as much as the camera for much of our photography for our latest trip.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

except that the battery is expensive and hard to find. .

What I did with Canon batteries for my Grand Canyon trip (knowing that I couldn't charge for the entire 9 day trip) was to use the battery that came with it as my primary battery and I bought two more off-brand batteries cheap as my backups. I think I got to day 7 before I swapped out the original battery (of course, I'd changed settings on the camera to maximize battery life, like turning off the automatic display of photos, lowering the brightness of the display, etc.). The knockoffs may not be as good as the Canon ones, but they're a lot cheaper.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

You can also look at the Nikon AW110 which is there latest waterproof camera to 59 feet or the S31 which is a newer one that is only water proof to 16 feet is significantly cheaper. I have not tried either one but have been happy with Nikons in the past.

My SLR with lenses packs up bigger than my sleeping bag so I know what ya mean! :D

On the camino I took 2 small cameras ~ a Nikon with all the bells & whistles for 'creative' shots & a cheapo Olympus (70.00) for snapshots.

Kept the Olympus in the front zipper pocket on my pack for easy access and ended up using it 90% of the time...

One thing I will recommend is get a small camera that takes AA's, they are available almost everywhere...and bring plenty of spare memory cards. ;)

Capt. Mom loves her tiny lightweight Sony 'whatever it is' and it's nice, takes great pics - but has to be recharged from time to time, not real practical in the toolies.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~