promise5

Would you give up skydiving?

Just had this conversation with a friend of mine and wanted to know what others thought.
If you had been involved in a skydiving accident and your SO asked you to give up the sport because of it would you?

My thoughts were I couldn't ask them to give up something they love.
No matter how slowly you say oranges it never sounds like gullible.
Believe me I tried.

Well, I was involved in a skydiving accident (destroyed ACL, MCL, meniscus, and patellar cartilage) the same day my husband broke his back (See tandem vs. dust devil incident).

He may have to give up skydiving, not sure yet. He made it clear that he does not want me to give it up even if he has to. If he did ask me to quit, and had a very good reason, I would consider it. My husband matters more than the sport. If it was a 'quit or I am leaving' kind of request, then I would not quit, because I couldn't be married to that kind of ultimatum sort of person.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

You can't change someone else. You can tell them what the consequences are if they keep skydiving (e.g. "I'll divorce you" or "I'll be scared shitless until you're home every time" or "I'll be jealous of all the guys hitting on you").

Then the other person can decide based on that.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

NO. ..already had this conversation with the wifey. We agreed that I'll quit jumping when I can no longer jump safely, when I decide not to, or when she allows me a matching set of live in asian concubines. I even tried to sweeten the deal by pointing out that they would do all the cooking and cleaning.

...I'm still jumping! :-P
Randomly f'n thingies up since before I was born...

NO. ..already had this conversation with the wifey. We agreed that I'll quit jumping when I can no longer jump safely, when I decide not to, or when she allows me a matching set of live in asian concubines. I even tried to sweeten the deal by pointing out that they would do all the cooking and cleaning.

Very funny:D:D:D
...I'm still jumping! :-P

No matter how slowly you say oranges it never sounds like gullible.
Believe me I tried.

My wife wouldnt even try that line as she knows the answer, however I am also real conservative and dont do anything outside of standard skydiving. Being over 50 I dont take extreme chances, however I feel regular skydiving to be a normal activity. That being said I wont hesitate to quite as soon as it stops being fun, I gave up sailboat racing a decade or so because it became too much work and little fun.

I was severely injured (pancaked my calcaneus), and that effectively ended my jumping. mrowc6 continued to jump for a few more years, and I would never have asked him to stop.

By the time I was heeled enough ;) (pun intended), there were a couple of kids, and we just couldn't afford it.

With or without my injury, it really was a non-issue, because even before that, we were well aware of the risks. Neither of us would have asked the other to give up something they love, whether it was skydiving-related or some other thing.

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

OK. The truth is she has no desire to jump and she wouldn't listen to me if I did try to tell her something.

The absoulute truth is I know better than to even try to "Tell" her something. :P ...And, she's glad when I leave for the DZ. ;)

Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

OK. The truth is she has no desire to jump and she wouldn't listen to me if I did try to tell her something.

The absoulute truth is I know better than to even try to "Tell" her something. :P ...And, she's glad when I leave for the DZ. ;)

Glad you cleared that up.

I was looking at your posting history to see if you were serious or not, and now I can stop. :D
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Shouldn't you make the first jump before you think about giving the sport up? ;)

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Glad you cleared that up.

I was looking at your posting history to see if you were serious or not, and now I can stop. :D

I didn't have the nerve to let that first post stew for very long.:)But, it's always fun to stir the pot.
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

If you had been involved in a skydiving accident and your SO asked you to give up the sport because of it would you?

Something CLOSE to that once...:)

Kinda sorta fell off of a rice burning crotch rocket at about 125 mph once...

Bent me up pretty good, but when my SO & I went to the wrecking yard to get my keys & stuff off the bike, she saw it was a burned up mess sitting in 3 shopping carts...I got the 'me or a motorcycle' ultimatum from her.

I was good with it at the time since the California Highway Patrol was rather strongly 'suggesting' I not drive much of ANYTHING for a while. :$

*if there wasn't loose gravel on the off-ramp they would have never caught me - and it wouldn't have BEEN an issue in the 1st place.:ph34r:>:(

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

If I bounced and lived she'd be the one to feed me. I would quit jumping if it bothered her that much. She does not like it much, but, except for CRW, I'm a pretty conservative jumper, and have upsized recently due to a bum knee, even after surgery. I'm sixty-one, been married for twenty nine years. Her happiness is more important to me than mine. If I felt I would make her unhappy if I continued with something that frightened her, I'd quit it.

Just re-read what I wrote.Got to get myself to a low T center right away!
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

Something CLOSE to that once...:)

Kinda sorta fell off of a rice burning crotch rocket at about 125 mph once...

Bent me up pretty good, but when my SO & I went to the wrecking yard to get my keys & stuff off the bike, she saw it was a burned up mess sitting in 3 shopping carts...I got the 'me or a motorcycle' ultimatum from her.

I was good with it at the time since the California Highway Patrol was rather strongly 'suggesting' I not drive much of ANYTHING for a while. :$

*if there wasn't loose gravel on the off-ramp they would have never caught me - and it wouldn't have BEEN an issue in the 1st place.:ph34r:>:(

I had an Indiana Highway Patrol car pursing me on my Sportster around the winding roads of Lake Wawasee one day. I missed a hairpin turn, took an unplanned shortcut through someone's lawn, got back on the road, and managed to get away.:S:o
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Shouldn't you make the first jump before you think about giving the sport up? ;)

Don't discourage her;
It's always good to plan ahead.:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.