Meteor?

Scientists are now concluding that this is the largest meteor event since Tunguska. We've had our 100 year meteor:)

Good thing it exploded when it did, at about 10K meters up. It had the energy of an atomic bomb.

Over 1000 people injured, by being dumb asses... Noticing a bright flash and rushing to the windows or glass doors to see what happened and then the sonic boom hits, shattering glass everywhere. B|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I can't believe they aren't using the proper standard of meteor disasters; The Bruckheimer Scale.

On that scale it comes in around maybe a 1.1. Something you'd see on the first page of Act 1.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

INteresting. And coinciding with the asteroid fly by today.

Can't find where I read it, but the Asteroid was on a South-North trajectory and this meteorite was on a different path, they were pretty sure it wasn't related. Still interesting with the supposed strike in Cuba today.
In every man's life he will be allotted one good woman and one good dog. That's all you get, so appreciate them while the time you have with them lasts.

- RiggerLee

Scientists are now concluding that this is the largest meteor event since Tunguska. We've had our 100 year meteor:)

I hear that Sarah Palin saw it from her back porch.

And Al Gore is calling it an act of AGW
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

INteresting. And coinciding with the asteroid fly by today.

Can't find where I read it, but the Asteroid was on a South-North trajectory and this meteorite was on a different path, they were pretty sure it wasn't related. Still interesting with the supposed strike in Cuba today.

Yeah that's what they said on the news tonight, they were coming from opposite directions.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

was this event a surprise??

considering the fact that we have heard about an asteroid for weeks now... which "passed between the planet and some of our orbiting satellites ", :o it seems that Somebody has had an Eye out,,,monitoring the situation...and watching the skies.
If so, why wasn't someone WELL Aware of this other,, "Incoming bogey"

or were they???? and i am just not aware of that fact..... i haven't read an awful LOT on it, but did see some information about it...

DID the area have at least " a ten minute call"... or did this meteor truly come from, out of the blue???

:)

The Daily Telegraph quotes the Russian academy of sciences as stating the mass was 10 tonnes, and NASA said 10,000 tonnes.

My own estimate is 7,700 tonnes, so I think the Russians got it wrong.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

was this event a surprise??

considering the fact that we have heard about an asteroid for weeks now... which "passed between the planet and some of our orbiting satellites ", :o it seems that Somebody has had an Eye out,,,monitoring the situation...and watching the skies.
If so, why wasn't someone WELL Aware of this other,, "Incoming bogey"

or were they???? and i am just not aware of that fact..... i haven't read an awful LOT on it, but did see some information about it...

DID the area have at least " a ten minute call"... or did this meteor truly come from, out of the blue???

Judging by estimates of 500,000+ objects flying in our vicinity large enough to detect (which are much bigger than this one) and the claim that they have tracked maybe 1% of those objects, it's a pretty safe assumption that a 50ft rock entering the atmosphere at 33,000mph was not detected. I've seen quotes ranging from every 10-40yr frequency for something as large as the asteroid that passed Friday happening, it just happens that now we have the technology to track these things.

Short answer, no, a 50ft object would likely not have been detected.
In every man's life he will be allotted one good woman and one good dog. That's all you get, so appreciate them while the time you have with them lasts.

- RiggerLee

There's a great example in Arizona.
http://www.meteorcrater.com/

I was flying with an airline crew one day when the captain told me the week before they had flown past that crater. One of the flight attendants was up in the cockpit ( okay, on the flight deck) and he pointed it out to her. "Giant meteorite, going 30,000 mph, hit there making that huge crater" he told her, "One mile across, half a mile deep."

He said she looked down at the crater, then turned to him and said "Oh, and look how close it came to hitting those little buildings down there."

The Daily Telegraph quotes the Russian academy of sciences as stating the mass was 10 tonnes, and NASA said 10,000 tonnes.

My own estimate is 7,700 tonnes, so I think the Russians got it wrong.

Russian space agency now reports 10,000 tonnes too. Looks like someone over there (or a reporter) initially got confused between tonnes and kilograms.

Unless we direct much more federal money now, meteors will become more frequent, more powerful and more destructive.

I'm curious, are these visitors of questionable origin getting any kind of background check before entering ??

Considering the fire-power they bring with 'em shouldn't we require some kind of registration...maybe a 'metal' health evaluation?

This place has a whole history of ignoring this problem...the last ones that turned a blind eye are now coming out of our tail-pipes!

:S

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Unless we direct much more federal money now, meteors will become more frequent, more powerful and more destructive.

I'm curious, are these visitors of questionable origin getting any kind of background check before entering ??

Considering the fire-power they bring with 'em shouldn't we require some kind of registration...maybe a 'metal' health evaluation?

This place has a whole history of ignoring this problem...the last ones that turned a blind eye are now coming out of our tail-pipes!

:S

Just look at THIS map of meteorite falls worldwide. CLEARLY they are targeting populated areas.

Just look at THIS map of meteorite falls worldwide. CLEARLY they are targeting populated areas.

If I had a boat I'd go out on the ocean. Looks like the safest place to be if you don't want to be smote by the meteorites.

Nonsense.

7/10th of all meteors fall into the oceans. It's just that few of them are ever reported because fewer people see them.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver