Meteor?

Oh no, for gun shots I go outside. I might miss something if I just look out the window.:P

Is this a common occurrence in your 'hood?:o

A guy I work with lives in a "hood" like that... great stories but I myself am just not into that whole "Omega Man" mentality. I like sleeping peacefully thru the night:)

TV programme on the Chelyabinsk meteor - shown on UK channel 4 on Sunday

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/meteor-strike-fireball-from-space/4od

very interesting, and as I expected, the vast majority of injuries were caused by people rubbernecking the vapour trail from their windows.

What the hell do you expect people to do? Ignore that their interior walls were suddenly brightly lit?

That's exactly what I did when the Park Forest meteorite hit 5 miles from home in 2003. Took note of the light and sound, considered waking the wife but thought better of it, rolled over and went back to sleep.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.
  • Like 1

Personally, I have a highly developed sense of self preservation and anything out of the ordinary sounds alarm bells. If the sea suddenly went out by two miles I'd be running in the opposite direction as fast as possible.

A bright flash in the sky on an otherwise clear day or a bloody great fireball screaming past would have me finding a small dark room with no windows to hide in until I was sure it was safe. (admittedly this comes from tours of duty in Northern Ireland where bomb blasts were common as were injuries caused by flying glass.)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I bet if f you hear gunshots outside are you are not going to go stand in front of the window either.

I call bullshit. You're not that special

Personally, I have a highly developed sense of self preservation and anything out of the ordinary sounds alarm bells. If the sea suddenly went out by two miles I'd be running in the opposite direction as fast as possible.

A bright flash in the sky on an otherwise clear day or a bloody great fireball screaming past would have me finding a small dark room with no windows to hide in until I was sure it was safe. (admittedly this comes from tours of duty in Northern Ireland where bomb blasts were common as were injuries caused by flying glass.)

I bet if f you hear gunshots outside are you are not going to go stand in front of the window either.

I call reality.... I am not that much of a fucking dumbass. Others... well if they want to Jump on the Darwin Award path... go for it.:S:S:S

I call reality.... I am not that much of a fucking dumbass. Others... well if they want to Jump on the Darwin Award path... go for it.:S:S:S
You’re not the hiding type.

I never said I was special, I just listen when the animal within says run like fuck. Human senses record everything - sounds, temperature changes, pressure changes, tastes and visual clues but then the higher brain edits out what it considers to be extraneous information. The lower, animal brain doesn't do this and reacts to possible danger by starting the fight or flight reflex. The trick is to learn to recognise the signs that your animal within is screaming 'run' at the top of its voice.

This ability to listen to the animal has been reinforced by military training - in the event of receiving effective enemy fire you are trained to

Duck - make yourself a smaller target while ascertaining whether it's just a stray shot that's come near.
Dash - run towards substantial cover
Down - hit the deck short of your chosen cover and
Crawl - into cover quickly making it harder for the enemy to see where you are
Observe - your arcs looking for the threat
Sights - set them based on observation of the threat
Fire - return fire to suppress the threat

The first four items do nothing else but remove you from the line of fire (threat) and only then do you start to analyse it and formulate a response.

My uncle told me a short story that applies:

A fox has chased a rabbit everyday for a week and failed to catch him so standing outside the warren entrance he asks the rabbit why - the rabbit replies "When you're chasing me you're running for your dinner but I'm running for my life!"
Atheism is a Non-Prophet Organisation
  • Like 1

I'd like to bring up the occurence of 99942 Apophis. A meteor that will most likely (1 and 40 chance of impact) not hit earth in 2029, however in the 2039 that chance of impact will be significantly higher. I don't get why we just don't send a nuke up there and diminish that chance of destruction, haha. Anyways, Apophis is about 70 meters wide and according to the asteroid collision simulator map (put that bolded search term in google and u will find it) it would cause significant damage in a metropolitan area or high density area. 

By the way fun fact, asteroids hit earth 17 times every single day but none of these asteroids are large enough to cause significant damage. Additionally, they go unreported because they land in uninhabited areas where they can cause no damage. I recently found a little thang called asteroid collision location map that shows a ton of reported minor asteroid collisions on earth recently. (that have been reported) I just included this paragraph to show that not all asteroids are dangerous and that asteroid collisions are a normal thing on earth. I don't think that we should be worried about Apophis because the website that I linked shows that almost ALL asteroid collisions included on the website are located in uninhabited areas, further backing up the point that an asteroid impact from Apophis will not cause significant damage because it will most likely not land in a populated area.

Anyways, that is just my little ramble for today. Have a good day, and remember don't fret. This has occurred numerous times before ^.^

• Like 1

16 hours ago, M4Enforcement said:

I'd like to bring up the occurence of 99942 Apophis. A meteor that will most likely (1 and 40 chance of impact) not hit earth in 2029, however in the 2039 that chance of impact will be significantly higher. I don't get why we just don't send a nuke up there and diminish that chance of destruction, haha. Anyways, Apophis is about 70 meters wide and according to the asteroid collision simulator map (put that bolded search term in google and u will find it) it would cause significant damage in a metropolitan area or high density area. 

By the way fun fact, asteroids hit earth 17 times every single day but none of these asteroids are large enough to cause significant damage. Additionally, they go unreported because they land in uninhabited areas where they can cause no damage. I recently found a little thang called asteroid collision location map that shows a ton of reported minor asteroid collisions on earth recently. (that have been reported) I just included this paragraph to show that not all asteroids are dangerous and that asteroid collisions are a normal thing on earth. I don't think that we should be worried about Apophis because the website that I linked shows that almost ALL asteroid collisions included on the website are located in uninhabited areas, further backing up the point that an asteroid impact from Apophis will not cause significant damage because it will most likely not land in a populated area.

Anyways, that is just my little ramble for today. Have a good day, and remember don't fret. This has occurred numerous times before ^.^

Tell that to Rex!!!

OHHHHH - right - you can't . . . they are EXTINCT!!!:tongue:

(edited)
On 3/2/2020 at 11:18 AM, turtlespeed said:

Tell that to Rex!!!

OHHHHH - right - you can't . . . they are EXTINCT!!!:tongue:

LMAO, I dont think that Rex would fond of this either..

By the way the image I linked is from asteroid collision map. just simulated the impact that killed the dinosaurs xd

link: https://asteroidcollision.herokuapp.com/

asteroidlol.png

Edited by M4Enforcement