crazydiver

Ripped Off

So, I pay a guy 1200 bucks for a container here on DZ.com classifieds last tuesday February 26. He says he will ship it out Thursday when he's back in town. I email him Sunday, March 3 asking for the tracking number and he says he sent the package but his girlfriend has the tracking number/invoice. That's the last I've heard from him after multiple emails and I have not received the package. He said he would ship it Thursday or Friday, February 28/29. Today is March 10 and I still have no email contact from him with tracking info nor do I have a container on my doorstep.

How long before I go crazy and start blasting him on facebook and calling DZs around where his LinkedIn and Facebook pages say he lives or has lived in the last couple years? I've seen a couple videos from him with a simple google search, so he's a legitimate person.

Am I crazy to be pissed?

Cheers,
Travis

Not to close the door after the horse is gone, but this is a lesson that using a rigger or gear shop as an escrow service, if that's available to you, is a damned good idea, and worth every penny of the fee charged.

Hope it works out ok for you.

With that amount of posts it seems like you are not new to dz.com I've seen a lot of post from peoples that been scammed by a "legit skydivers". Why not to use escrow? If there is no one to do escrow with in your area you may always do it with guys at chutingstar.

Not to close the door after the horse is gone, but this is a lesson that using a rigger or gear shop as an escrow service, if that's available to you, is a damned good idea, and worth every penny of the fee charged.

I've been the trusting guy and the trusted guy many times. So far, so good, but I think that's just luck.

I've been the trusting guy and the trusted guy many times. So far, so good, but I think that's just luck.

Same here, but the last couple of items I sold included canopies that I refused to sell with out someone else vouching for the individual. So phone calls to DZs (numbers that I located, not the numbers provided by people) to verify the individual helped put my mind at ease that the person could handle the high performance canopy and that they were real people. It also gave me a way to out someone very directly if they tried to screw me over.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I am giving him until the end of tomorrow and then its blast city

I admire your restriant. I understand that shipping takes time, but calls/emails/facebook does not (for the most part).

Anytime I have bought or sold anything expensive (gear, motorcycles, etc) I treat the sale like a job in that I make communication and staying on top of the deal my top priority (or as close as I can get). In any case, calls/emails are always answered same-day, regardless if I am the buyer or the seller.

Even if you're a big-shot rich guy, it's not hard to imagine that to someone buying a used rig (or whatever), a $1000+ transaction is a 'big deal' and deserves the courtesy or a timely reply.

Or having enough streets smarts to have a few contacts vouch for the other party, or trust your guts.

In the last month, I let a good deal go by when someone in Eastern Europe wouldnt use an Escrow service after I couldnt get someone we both knew that he was legit.

The same week, I concluded a deal with no escrow with a guy where a mutual friend vouched for both of us. The scary part was, that friend was DiabloPilot. :|:ph34r::|
Remster

How long before I go crazy and start blasting him on facebook and calling DZs around where his LinkedIn and Facebook pages say he lives or has lived in the last couple years?

IMO.. you're behind schedule. To not even send the tracking number in a timely manner is a prelude to getting scammed. Make some noise.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Try calling UPS or the carrier of your package. You might be able to get your tracking number using your name/address.

Who knows, maybe he got robbed of his computer or phone and doesn't have access to the Internet. Maybe, he's in the hospital or something, shit happens. Whatever the problem is for the lack of follow through, I'd wait to bash him. If the said package was giving to UPS on a Friday afternoon at the latest, it gets shipped on Monday, the end of today is the 6th working day en route. I'd give it a day more, giving across country ground is at worst 7 days to me.

I'd try calling the carrier though first. Good luck!

Well, there was that one time.... >:([:/][:/]
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Well, nothing in the mail today again and nothing on my doorstep. Nor has he replied to my emails. Here is the official Chris Schuster dz.com thread for me to attempt to recover my 1200 bucks. Tell all your friends in upstate NY and Lexington, KY/Start Skydiving area. I'll be calling DZs this week.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4455444;#4455444

Cheers,
Travis

Well, there was that one time.... >:([:/][:/]

I know exactly the one you mean. That wasn't even our doing. A 3rd party set it up. But even then, our community support was fantastic. :)

>:( That situation was TOTALLLLLY unwarranted>:(

I still wonder if the person ever realized just how badly they screwed the pooch in this sport with that little game they wanted to play with the good people in the sport.

I still wonder if the person ever realized just how badly they screwed the pooch in this sport with that little game they wanted to play with the good people in the sport.

I just like to remember all the good people in our sport. Outsiders can come in and try to F people over, but word gets out quick. I love our community. B|