kallend

Higgs boson?

I am still confused by the "God Particle" title.

the simplest way i know it is the smallest particle from which all atoms are created and the one that makes every thing in the known universe possible, like the creator, god. When the cold war as active and physicists were looking for funding all the physicists had to say was the Russians are building one and they would get their funding. Once the cold war was over physicists looking for billions of dollars of tax payers money to build a particle collider needed a new way of proving their funding was worth while, so the higgs boson became the god particle.

here is a link but the first 3 minutes are off topic so you may want to fast forward

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mgbjb8229f8

I get why but I do not think it applies. I know this is a big deal and have been following it for some time. It is pretty cool stuff.
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

OK who read this thread as...Huge Bosoms?

That said! Wow that's great news! But....ok hate to sound like a stick in the mud but...what will this mean for us dorks who live in the non sub atomic level?

Help out the slow guy, has any of this sub atomic particle stuff really provided any commerce? Other than nuclear bombs and nuclear energy and maybe microwave burritos?

And medical imaging
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

We're in the infancy of this but imagine the possibilities if one day we can manipulate the Higgs field.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Apparently Stephen Hawking didn't believe they'd find proof of it in his lifetime.
NPR had a snippet this morning that he lost a $100 bet. They didn't say with whom.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

New weight loss pill announced. It contains anti-Higgs bosons.

I think it'll just make you fatter since it's its own anti-particle. It won't even make a good recreational drug since you can't even get a charge out of it.

That's strange. Or charmed. But clearly you're on top of it.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

New weight loss pill announced. It contains anti-Higgs bosons.

I think it'll just make you fatter since it's its own anti-particle. It won't even make a good recreational drug since you can't even get a charge out of it.

That's strange. Or charmed. But clearly you're on top of it.

I've always tried to follow the eightfold path as laid out by Muster Mark ....or was his name Murray? I forget.

Now they are confident at the 5.9 sigma level. 5 sigma is generally all that is needed to announce a discovery.

www.theregister.co.uk/2012/08/01/higgs_boson_more_certain/

Nice spin.

Since the Higgs field is a scalar field, the Higgs boson has no spin, no electric charge, or color charge.

:P So there! :P

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Now they are confident at the 5.9 sigma level. 5 sigma is generally all that is needed to announce a discovery.

www.theregister.co.uk/2012/08/01/higgs_boson_more_certain/

Nice spin.

Since the Higgs field is a scalar field, the Higgs boson has no spin, no electric charge, or color charge.

:P So there! :P

So Higgs is sitting at the bar having a few pints. When it's time to leave he asks the bartender, "How much do I owe you?". The barkeep says, "For you, no charge!" :P

The design of the universe annoys me. It can't keep track of the objects it's created, there are hard-coded constraints, it segfaults if you put too much mass in one place (Which at LEAST doesn't crash the entire damn universe when it happens) and they can't even figure out where the objects are when they're created. The whole thing feels like a rushed undergraduate project. It's probably just some n-dimensional sophomore's attempt to simulate a method of converting hydrogen into plutonium.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

The design of the universe annoys me. It can't keep track of the objects it's created, there are hard-coded constraints, it segfaults if you put too much mass in one place (Which at LEAST doesn't crash the entire damn universe when it happens) and they can't even figure out where the objects are when they're created. The whole thing feels like a rushed undergraduate project. It's probably just some n-dimensional sophomore's attempt to simulate a method of converting hydrogen into plutonium.

So.... what you're saying is that the universe may really be nothing more than some pimply-faced kid's vinegar and baking soda volcano ?

I'm good with that.

So.... what you're saying is that the universe may really be nothing more than some pimply-faced kid's vinegar and baking soda volcano ?

I'm good with that.

Could be an N-dimensional Monty Python sketch.