SpeedRacer

what year is it, according to afghans/iranians/pakistanis/indians?

OK, I am confused here.

We have a new worker here who is from Afghanistan. She left there during the Soviet invasion, and has lived in Germany and the USA since.

She said that her people celebrate the spring equinox as the new year, and they set up a table with seven objects beginning with the letter S in her native language (Urdu?). Each object symbolizes health, life, prosperity, etc.

But I am confused about the year. I figured that it was Islamic calendar, in which case the new year woulf be 1392. But she said that the new year
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

fucking mobile phone wouldn't let me finish it in one post.

Oh okay... I wasn't sure what the hell was going on. How you living?
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

OK, I am confused here.

We have a new worker here who is from Afghanistan. She left there during the Soviet invasion, and has lived in Germany and the USA since.

She said that her people celebrate the spring equinox as the new year, and they set up a table with seven objects beginning with the letter S in her native language (Urdu?). Each object symbolizes health, life, prosperity, etc.

But I am confused about the year. I figured that it was Islamic calendar, in which case the new year woulf be 1392. But she said that the new year

Don't forget to add in the extra 80 million years they just found.

I tried doing some digging on this out of curiosity.

Found shed loads of variant calendars and dates... none give 1399 that I could find. The Iranian/Afghan calendar (Solar Hijri) tallies with what she says in that the first day of the year is 21st March this year, tied to the spring equinox... but you're right, it's 1392 there, not 1399, to tie in with the calendar starting from Mohammed's migration to Medina.

Maybe she's just wrong?