Nataly

Disgusting food...

If I remember correctly, McDonald's employees are to throw out unsold fries 7 minutes after cooking them. By that point, they are too disgusting for human consumption... Fresh-baked croissants are gross a few hours after they leave the oven...

On the other hand, long-life milk can happily live (unopened) outside the fridge for several months... And once opened and in the fridge seems to last for weeks and weeks, passing the sniff-test...

What I would like to know is: what the heck are we putting in our food??!!! :S:|
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

I guess with McDonalds there's pressure to maintain consistent quality (notice I don't say high quality!) Chips (fries) are indeed much nicer when they're freshly cooked than when they've been kept warm even for a few minutes - hence I try only to visit our local chippie on a Friday evening when the turnover is high, so the chips are served straight from the fryer.

As for long-life milk, I don't think there's anything 'in' it - isn't it just heat-treated to sterilise it? My girlfriend used to buy it, and I kind of got used to the taste - but it's not as nice as fresh milk.

http://www.healthbasics.net/2010/08/02/anatomy-of-a-big-mac/ And since you're across the pond... http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/news/on-the-menu-at-mcdonalds-78-additives-some-may-be-harmful-767533.html

UHT stands for “Ultra High Temperature processing,” which is just another way of heating milk to kill bacterial spores. In the pasteurization process, the milk is heated to 72°C (161.6°F) for at least 15 minutes, whereas the UHT process heats the milk at 135°C (275°F) for one to two seconds. This flash of extreme heat is said to kill off any spores in the milk, and is currently a process that is being used for other products such as fruit juices, cream, yogurt, wine, and soups.

Read more http://www.vagabondjourney.com/what-is-uht-milk/
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

As for long-life milk, I don't think there's anything 'in' it - isn't it just heat-treated to sterilise it? My girlfriend used to buy it, and I kind of got used to the taste - but it's not as nice as fresh milk.

Well, on the bottle I'm looking at, it says "lait demi écrémé stérilisé UTH," (semi-skimmed milk, sterilised UTH) but there is nothing explaining what it is "made" from... I bought it over a month ago, and the sell-by date is 08 June 2013. It says to refrigerate after opening and is sold on the normal shelves (as opposed to the refrigerated ones)... Hmmm... Kinda makes you wonder, really...

ETA - thanks to Bigun for the link on UTH... Still not really convinced it's as good as fresh milk and since it doesn't list its ingredients (on this particular bottle), I cannot believe they don't add anything... I'm sure they would shout it out if it were free of preservatives...
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

This flash of extreme heat is said to kill off any spores in the milk, and is currently a process that is being used for other products such as fruit juices, cream, yogurt, wine, and soups.

Wine ? You can't call a beverage "wine" if it has been treated that way :S
ça passe ou ça frotte

Genetically modified....

Chemicals....
Edited to add... Pink pseudo-mystery-meat

AGRI BUSINESS...( think about the scene in one of The Omen movies)

Grow your own.. and kill your own... then you know exactly what is in your food.. otherwise.... just suck it up cupcake

Yes, it shouldn't have other crap in there, but since it says NOTHING on the label, I wouldn't bet my life on it...
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Ah... but you are my dear:ph34r:

Steve McQueen eating bugs in Papillon.:D

And pretty much anything they ate on The Fear Factor. :S

A long time ago I saw Geraldo Rivera do a story on SERE School. The instructor gave Geraldo an earthworm to eat.:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Steve McQueen eating bugs in Papillon.:D

And pretty much anything they ate on The Fear Factor. :S

A long time ago I saw Geraldo Rivera do a story on SERE School. The instructor gave Geraldo an earthworm to eat.:D

They are much better if you take the night crawlers and stick em in moist corm meal first then pop em in the deep fryer...

Kind of like an outside in corndog

I believe its just heat treated/boiled to kill bacteria and then vacuum sealed. No air get is in so no bacteria can grow and spoil it.

Stuff that has contact with air and does not spoil I would not eat.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

I just sat on the couch last night with Vskydiver and our youngest daughter and watched "Forks Over Knives", a discussion of diet vs. health. Although there are some holes in the science, it does have me re-thinking my diet some. As a Texan, I was raised on meat, meat and more meat. I guess there's room for more veggies.

Most disgusting food?

Twinkies. :P

As a Texan, I was raised on meat, meat and more meat. I guess there's room for more veggies.

When I live/worked in Ft Worth, I couldn't believe it the first time I went to a local barbecue restaurant: 18 varieties of barbecue. Vegetables? Oh, here is half an ear of corn.:S:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Stuff that has contact with air and does not spoil I would not eat.

So you won't eat olive oil?
I'm still using a 3L jug I bought several years ago.
You don't put in in the frig because that only makes it cloudy, and at room temps it won't spoil anyway.