cavscout73

question for the pilots around here

So im right around 100 hours private, going thtough ifr now, start multi and commercial in may.
But I have noticed in probably the last 10 or so hours, I have been getting nervous on landings. Mainly the gusty crosswinds, which is the normal where we fly. Is this a normal thing?
I have heard a lot of jumpers say they get more nerved right around the 100-200 jump range. I havent had that so much jumping. And its driving me nuts in the plane..
Its probably just me being a chickenshit, but im curious to know if its a common thing among the pilot community

I think the thing a lot of students go through is the idea they have to grease every landing. To me that's bullshit. When conditions are right I expect a greaser. In gusty crosswinds, OWN that firm and positive landing. Obviously you don't want a bouncer, but I think you can take quite a bit of undue stress off if you understand the goal is slightly different in those cases.

Also, go get some tail-wheel time. It will help you learn to use your feet.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

hey man

it could also be a case of you becoming more aware of the situation that you're in, which is fantastic. some nerves (to a degree) will up your performance levels. with regards to aiming for a greaser, don't worry about that all too much. i haven't flown light aircraft for a while now, but certainly on the heavier jets, greasers aren't necessarily recommended - they reduce wheel spin-up time and consequently burn more rubber. as was said above; aim for a firm touch down, without making it a bounce.

what x-wind method do you use? an old instructor of mine taught me, whenever i'm flying, if i'm using more than 3 fingers to hold/force the control wheel, i'm overpowering the machine. try that out, whilst maintaing control of the situation, (tracking centerline, controlling airspeed) allow the aircraft to respond to gusts, without fighting them. the vast majority of machines flying around the sky are inherently stable, relax and let them do the work, whilst being in control :)

If you're not nervous on landing you're not awake! Just don't quit flying the a/c until IT'S done flying.

I use my Cessna 180 for long cross country and have to land in all kind of conditions after 4+ hours of cruising. Those landings often STINK! I've got 800+ hours in taildraggers and still get nervous as heck.

Learn to do Dutch Rolls on final. That wakes up your rudder feet really well.

Good luck!
jon

Maybe you suck...:D:D:D Joking.

I don't have a clue as to why you feel the way you do. You're in the best seat to figure that out. I do agree with quade. Trying to grease in landing on ruff/windy days usually end up worse than if you just fly the airplane to the ground and make it stick. The last thing you want to do in a gusty cross wind is hold it off and bleed of the airspeed down to the stall.

Maybe you suck...:D:D:D Joking.

I don't have a clue as to why you feel the way you do. You're in the best seat to figure that out. I do agree with quade. Trying to grease in landing on ruff/windy days usually end up worse than if you just fly the airplane to the ground and make it stick. The last thing you want to do in a gusty cross wind is hold it off and bleed of the airspeed down to the stall.

You may have a point there, my private instructor pretty much taught rverything as hold it off the ground til you cant. I have been working on coming in with speed and it seems to be better on crosswinds. I just end up landing real flat.. Also the more aware is something I have thouvht about a lot. Im really thinking of getting an instuctor to go up with me an just stay in pattern, maybe see if im missing something or of it is just unneeded nerves..

Skydiving is still my number one love followed by flying as a close tie..... I just want to figure out how to do it the best as possible..

Just curious if you've experimented with less than full flaps on the gusty/xwind landings?

You need a bit more speed, but you have a bit more authority on the controls to compensate for the conditions.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

My normal is anything over 10 knots in a crosswind I will obly use 20° of flaps anything less I use 30°
Take today as an example, dialed in the Atis. Said 290© 8 my options were 3\21 . Nasty gust as my right wheel touched. Lifted left wing a bunch.... I corrected and got it down but, I guess im not sure if im missing something or just becoming more aware of the conditions. Im just not normally nervous type guy, and this is just getting to the point of bothering me..

Maybe I need to get an instructor in the plane to let me know which is the correct answer” I suck ass or im just becoming more aware” ***
Either way I,love flying and wont ever stop trying to improve, I just dont want tk build bad habits
And last but not least.... I,should be banned from posting when k drink,.I forget how t
Edited due to captain Morgan induced phone posting...

Change it up a little, practice side slips, 0 flaps, slips to landing. Hit the rudder stops, find where you run out of aileron, Are you flying different airplanes? Get a check out in something different. I highly recommend getting a tailwheel checkout. It will help you master your landings. The Dutch Roll maneuver Mr. Stark mentioned is also a great way to get ready for landings,

Get a good CFI and go out on a windy, nasty, gusty day and do a bunch of pattern work.

I rarely use less than full flaps (40 on my airplanes) even in stiff winds. Isn't really a problem once you get proficient.

Nothing a couple thousand landings can't fix. ;)
SmugMug

A lot of real good advice in these replies. Best advice is practice in the crosswind days to get a foundation and add gusty days later.

But no I started my private in North Dakota we always had a cross wind. Practicing at short strips with wind breaks near the runway threshold you had to make huge adjustments through the gradient then line up on narrow runways. When I came out to Southern Cal I had more x wind confidence/ capability than most of my SoCal instructors. I was way behind on the communication side which I was not exposed to in North Dakota at the intensity we have at some of the busier areas.

Practice your x wind with a good instructor. I think mine had a bob Hoover admiration complex and didnt mind placing a single main wheel on the ground and holding it for a 1000' and demonstrating at max published or a few knots above.

Definately own it before transitioning to your multi. Or you could move to southern California were most of the wind is practically straight down the runways.

Simple. Since the winds are usually across, land perpendicular to what you've been doing.

That would require a lot of work on his "Short Field Landing" technique.

:P
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Simple. Since the winds are usually across, land perpendicular to what you've been doing.

That would require a lot of work on his "Short Field Landing" technique.

:P

I saw a Twin Otter land perpendicular to the runway at the old SD Houston once...It can happen.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

"Damn, that runway's short!:o
But look how wide it is!":)
Seriously, I saw Mullins do this with his Helio Stallion many years ago.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

"Damn, that runway's short!:o
But look how wide it is!":)
Seriously, I saw Mullins do this with his Helio Stallion many years ago.

Damnit, beat me to it!!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

All of my hours have been in a 172 r , as far as landing technique my instructor calls it the crab and crash. Lots of crab angle and flat.
Didnt that term come from 727 pilots or something similar?

Thats kinda funny you mention the Hoover complex. I was talking to one of the older instructors today and he had said pretty much how he does his crosswind landings,

Havent gotten my tailwheel yet. That is on my list of hopefully I have time to get it done this year at some point. Then I just have to work on getting my uncle to let me use his starduster :)

Very interesting video, those Winds look like our normal days at the airport for about the past month or so.

The easiest way to think about it is your rudder is to keep your nose aligned with the centerline, and aileron to correct for drift. As you get slower and into the flare, keep adding whatever control input necessary to keep yourself over the centerline. Whatever you do, do not take the control inputs out as you slow! Keep adding aileron until eventually you are full aileron as you slow to taxi speed. No matter what method you use (crab and kick, wing low), you will always end up with the same result in the flare (opposite rudder and into the wind aileron).

Go up on a windy day with your instructor and do some pattern work. It just takes practice and experience, just like anything else! Try not to get discouraged.