ryoder

Pilot ejected from small plane...w/o an ejection seat

Wonder if the canopy came open or he went through it.

The link that I read said that the canopy came open in a dive and the plane rolled due to the drag. Not sure if it's the same link that is posted, though.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

and neither man was wearing a seat belt, WRCB reported

'nuff said.

A combination of the no seatbelts and the shitty design if the canopy latch(s) on the 601xl, this is the outcome :(

The student should of been taught (instructor should of known better) that seatbelts and doors, canopy latches, should be part of the preflight check. My instructors a few times purposely didn't fasten their seatbelts or latch the doors shut to see if I would catch it. Your passengers are your responsibility. Sad incident, so avoidable.
Too many sharks in the gene pool

'nuff said.

Anyone want to buy the plane????

WRCB said the plane had been owned by a man killed in a December crash and then was sold to the current owner, described as an experienced pilot who wanted more training in the Zodiac.

'nuff said.

I Think this falls into the "you couldn't pay me enough to own it" category. [:/]

The previous owner was killed in some crash as well...

Anyone want a cursed airplane?

'nuff said.

I Think this falls into the "you couldn't pay me enough to own it" category. [:/]

The previous owner was killed in some crash as well...

Anyone want a cursed airplane?

I wonder if the curse holds.. even if you recycle it as aluminum.. Cursed beer cans anyone??

I wonder if the curse holds.. even if you recycle it as aluminum.. Cursed beer cans anyone??

Or a cursed canoe.

Then you could be drinking cursed beer in a cursed boat, possibly being up somewhere with out a paddle.

How does that canopy come open during normal student flight operations? Even if not latched, wouldn't the air pressure keep it closed?

Depends. Possible the canopy generates a bit of lift. Side doors usually pop open slightly.

If the canopy is indeed side-hinged, then an uncoordinated turn might lift it.

I'm really curious about that statement in the story about something causing a dive.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I'm really curious about that statement in the story about something causing a dive.

Could be a lie by the surviving instructor to cover his ass for his own negligence.
Doing acrobatic moves without seatbelts should get his license to fly revoked.

I'm thinking the previous owner was killed crashing a different airplane. Fatal crashes usually bend the plane up beyond easy repair.

Unauthorized aerobatics? Yeah, I've sat thru those a time or two. You better have either a seatbelt or a parachute. I can't imagine sitting in a real seat for a real flight, maybe with aerobatics, and not wearing the seatbelt. Darwin is 1 for 2 in this incident. :|

I know, I know, I've flown many times in jump planes w/o a belt, but at least I had a plan B on my back.

Could be a lie by the surviving instructor to cover his ass for his own negligence.
Doing acrobatic moves without seatbelts should get his license to fly revoked.

I think we have a winner.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Unauthorized aerobatics? Yeah, I've sat thru those a time or two. You better have either a seatbelt or a parachute. I can't imagine sitting in a real seat for a real flight, maybe with aerobatics, and not wearing the seatbelt.

I got my first Private ticket in a glider. Many times when I hit turbulence, the seatbelt was the only thing preventing my head from bouncing off the underside of the canopy.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.