extreme

PD Soft links on reserve

:)
Precision was the only mfg. that approved the use of the PD SR-1 with the Raven & Dash M reserves.

Few years ago I checked with 2 more mfg. for replacing the #5 links with PD SR-1 slinks which were the only TSO'd Reserve Slinks & the answer of BOTH mfg. was NO, we did not test it so we can not apporved the change.

B| Safe Rigging !!!

Few years ago I checked with 2 more mfg. for replacing the #5 links with PD SR-1 slinks which were the only TSO'd Reserve Slinks & the answer of BOTH mfg. was NO, we did not test it so we can not apporved the change.

That was a few years ago, by your admission. Have you contacted them lately to find out their stance?
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

I am gathering information now and will hopefully have some answers in the next coupla weeks.

I have written proof that PD Slinks and Aerodyne's P1487-01 Soft Links are TSOd as separate components under C23d. I am waiting on a response from Precision regarding their Wrap-It Links.

Once I get that response I will send a shotgun email to all of the US reserve canopy manufacturers requesting written approval to install each type of link, by name, on their line of reserve parachutes.

I will post the results here when I get them. If the information is usable for everyone, I will pass it to Terry Urban as well.
Arrive Safely

John

I'd love to see the letters from the manufactors reguarding their stance on using Slinks be added to the DZ.com document archive so if a rigger needs to come along latter and show the FAA... the document is right there for him to print :)
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I'd love to see the letters from the manufactors reguarding their stance on using Slinks be added to the DZ.com document archive so if a rigger needs to come along latter and show the FAA... the document is right there for him to print

I'm working on exactly that, regarding the PD Slink, Precision Wrap-It Link, and the Aerodyne P1487-01 Soft Link. First I wanted to confirm that each of those had been approved under TSO C23d as a separate component. So far the answer is yes (in writing) from both PD and Aerodyne. Waiting to hear from Precision via email.

Once I confirm that, I will ask each US reserve manufacturer to approve (or disapprove) each of those links (by name) as being compatible with their reserves (by name). If it works out like I hope it does, I will share it here and wherever it might benefit the rigging community.

BTW - if there are any other soft links manufactured in the US, please let me know the details and I'll try and include them.

As far as componnents outside the US, I'll let someone in those geographic areas tackle this project for their rigging community.
Arrive Safely

John

The regulations are different in different countries. If your certificate was issued by the same authority as mine, it would be easier to tell if we are on the same page.

From your profile I will assume you do not hold a riggers certificate issued by the FAA (US) and I am not familiar with the regulations in Israel.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

THANK YOU for your efforts on this issue.

We'd love to put soft links on as many reserves as possible. We've been (legally) putting SR-1's on PD and Prec. reserves for some years; looking forward to hearing the results of your inquirys to other manufacturers.
Alpha Mike Foxtrot,
JHL

OK, if we aren't looking at the FAR's, then explain to me how using #4 or #5 Rapide Links on a reserve is safer than PD's Slinks?

I always said that PD SR-1 slinks are much better then the #4 or #5 metal links when set correctly.

I said that you can not use # 4 links even being TSO'd by PD on the PR on a reserve which was TSO'd
with #5 links.

Take a situation that a Rigger found a damaged
#5 SS link on a reserve with Spectra lines which was TSO'd ONLY with #5 SS metal links, he does not have #5 SS links in stock but have a set (4) of PD #4 TSO'd links with Silicone bumpers - Should he remove all #5 links & replace with the #4 kit (TSO'd by PD) ??? NO !!!

The Rigger have a kit of PD SR-1 slinks which are much better, Should he use that kit ? NO !!!

The only way is mailing the Reserve Mfg. & ask for the Approval, they might say :) NO with their reasons & they might say wait we are sending you a kit of #5 links.

Does a Rigger can use Aerodyne Soft Links on a PD Reserve ? NO WAY !!! PD SR-1 slinks are made from 1500 lb. Spectra line tested by PD & Aerodyne Soft Links are made from 1000 lb. Dyneema line.

My final position is that a Rigger must ask the Approval of the Reserve mfg. for changing the links he TSO'd.

Even if PD, Aerodyne & Precision which TSO'd the Soft Links as an item are saying you can use their Soft Links on other mfg. reserve the Rigger still needs the other Mfg. Approval.

For all riggers that disapprove of the use of Slinks or other, reserve TSO'd brand links for brand X reserves:

Do you refuse to pack a rig that comes to you already in that condition?

I think there are VERY few riggers that will not repack a rig because of this.

So, riggers by their collective action are using their license to determine compatibility to outweigh any supposed requirements of reserve or cotainer mfg.

That's just the way that it is....
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am