DIY tomato thread

Here's where I'm at with the tomatoes. Started with 16, and now down to 11. They are about 3.5" tall. It's been 5 weeks. Gonna start geminating habaneros, jalapenos, and basil today.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

No tomates for me this year......but I have taken it up a notch on the pepper front. got seedings started for:

Bhut Jolokia Pepper
Naga Morich,Jolokia Pepper
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Pepper
Caribbean Red Habanero Pepper
Orange Habanero Pepper
Ring of Fire Pepper
Cayenne Chile
Jalapeno ( 2 kinds)
Anaheim Pepper

Possible disaster. Plants are growing like crazy. Seven weeks since starting the seeds. Can't put them out at night until June due to freezing. Greenhouse will be complete this weekend. I repotted one into a gallon pot on Saturday. Within hours it was clearly in trouble.

It's at lower right in the pic. It's looking a bit better now. My theory is that my potting mix was not fully moistened and it sucked the water out of the root ball. I'm planting directly in soil amendment that has a lot of wood chips, and they likely were not soaked long enough. ANy ideas? I started 16 seedlings and got 11 good plants. Gave 7 away to friends. Pic kinda sucks, but the plants are 10"+ tall above the soil and the stems are ~.375" diam at the bottom.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Your basil looks good!

Tomatoes like water. They don't like the drought between, and the inconsistent moisture level.

Soooo, this year, I'm planting my tomatoes in the bog filter for my fish pond. We'll see if they do as well as in a traditional hydroponic environment. I have a yellow heirloom, plum, and a new one called tomatoberry (it's shaped and sized like a strawberry, and supposedly "super-sweet").

What's the worst that can happen to a couple-buck investment? :D

I need one plant per square foot in the bog, anyway! :) Tomatoes seem like a good addition to the other plants. :)

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

I bought the basil at walmart yesterday:D Had some started from seed but gave them to my sis. That's interesting about the pond filter. Post some pics when you get it set up. My sister has a big fish pond. What do you think about my theory as to why my plant immediately started dying after repotting?

-NickDG

You are limited to a capacity of ten high-power pepper plants in your garden, but can grow only seven plants at one time.

-NickDG

WHAT???

hmpf...moving to Colorado where I can grow my own then!!!

Does that mean I get to keep your house in FL? :)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I bought the basil at walmart yesterday:D Had some started from seed but gave them to my sis. That's interesting about the pond filter. Post some pics when you get it set up. My sister has a big fish pond. What do you think about my theory as to why my plant immediately started dying after repotting?

It sounds like a case of transplant shock. It's so common, that it is almost inevitable. The tiny roots (that do the water absorption) were damaged, and must regrow. Give it some time, within a week or two, it should perk up. :)
Next time, try and limit the time that the roots are exposed to air or dry soil by having water available immediately. I've had good luck with the "two bucket method." One bucket of water to "dip" the roots in while doing the loosening of the roots, and one bucket handy to water the hole before the plant gets placed and again after planting, before even starting the next one, rather than planting them all and then watering.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

WHAT???

:D:D:D

How soon are you planning on planting them?:|
Attached photo taken a few minutes ago.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

WHAT???

:D:D:D

How soon are you planning on planting them?:|
Attached photo taken a few minutes ago.

Do snow peas instead. Peppers can wait until it's hot.
;)
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Spring is VERY much alive here!
B|

So while making some Chicago dogs the other day, I get mom's old tomato knife out...it's just worn out.
I need a new mater knife!

I hear you can get them on the black market.
:P
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239