oldwomanc6

Lawn Service

mwroc6 and I have been living here for 12 years, and we have always done our own yard, but our lawn tractor is getting old and needs an overhaul, and we need a new push mower. We thought that the money spent to do that would be better spent to hire someone. The time is hard to come by, as well, so our yard never gets done often enough. It's kind of embarrassing. :$

We've never had a lawn service before, I' wondering what other people pay for their services.

I know that this will vary by region as well as level of service needed, so this is just a shout out to see what to expect. I don't want to get taken advantage of, nor do I want to pay some poor guy too little (people are itching to work around here).

All we want is basic mowing and edging of about 3/4 acre (the rest is woods--we do have 50 grapevines to edge, as well as a fish pond.

Thanks, all :)
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

I have a passionate hatred for lawn care & folding clothes.

We use a lawn service. Mow, Blow, weed, trim.
$45.00 a week including a twice a year weed & feed.
We have the best looking yard in the neighborhood.
Usually greens in the Spring before everyone else.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Here in Ohio we live in your typical development and pay $40 each time.

Does your lawn service use only US citizens? Are you sure the people who do the work aren't undocumented workers? Have you bothered to verify that all of their employees have the legal right to work in the USA? Do they have workmens comp insurance? Did you check?

Didn't think so.

As an avowed Right Wing Conservative, why haven't you done any of this?

Does your lawn service use only US citizens? Are you sure the people who do the work aren't undocumented workers? Have you bothered to verify that all of their employees have the legal right to work in the USA? Do they have workmens comp insurance? Did you check?

Didn't think so.

edit (retracted comment) ---- oops! this ain't SC ...Sorry.

Didn't think so.

I take it you never buy or eat vegetables without doing the necessary due diligence yourself.
Out of respect for the OP, I won't say more.

I'm surprised to see some of these numbers, but then again, it's probably just a difference in markets. IIRC I paid $70 about 10 years ago in Seattle for a relatively small lawn. But, that was probably a supply/demand thing - after calling around to a whole bunch of services and having them either not respond at all or say they were completely at capacity, one finally referred me to a guy (white natural-born US Citizen, btw;)) who was just starting out his business, and I used him for 3 years (till I moved to a townhouse without a lawn). I'm pretty sure by the end there he had enough business that he could charge more in the $100 range, but he kept mine at the original rate since I was one of his first customers.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Who knew that I should have put [on topic] in the thread title? :D It seemed like such an innocent subject. :)

So far the answers are fairly consistent with the estimates I have gotten so far. :)

I can get you a discount from guy named Hey Zeus.
:| Cash only.

Who knew that I should have put [on topic] in the thread title? :D It seemed like such an innocent subject. :)

So far the answers are fairly consistent with the estimates I have gotten so far. :)

I'd pay good money to have a Greek god mow my lawn! :)
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

In the past I used to cut the yard myself, but I dislike yard work and it looks like I am actually getting a good deal up here in Calgary. I am paying $35 every time the lawn care folks come by to cut the grass in my yard. My property is not huge, but it is one of the larger properties in my immediate area due to it's pie shape.

Oh and I don't know if the yard care company are using some sort of oppressed and abused workforce. You see I am off at work when they come by to cut the grass. I guess I could always apply for some cushy government job which would allow me to be at home on most days and then I could check up to make sure the yard care company is not using slave workers. But who am I kidding, like I would ever land one of these cushy government jobs where you only work a couple of hours a couple of days a week. Thanks to affirmative action, I am not one of the preferred "special interest" candidates and would never get past the resume screening process. ;)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I'd pay good money to have a Greek god mow my lawn! :)

hey... If there's such a service for house cleaning, maybe we should start one for outside work!

I'm taking the Bacchus persona.
Remster

We bought a rental house in Olympia last week. I met the neighbor kid yesterday evening while he was mowing the lawn one more time for the previous owner. He charges $20 for an quarter acre corner lot. :)

Wait, kids still actually want to earn money these days? :D:D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

We bought a rental house in Olympia last week. I met the neighbor kid yesterday evening while he was mowing the lawn one more time for the previous owner. He charges $20 for an quarter acre corner lot. :)

Wait, kids still actually want to earn money these days? :D:D

I think Socrates is attributed to have said more or less the same thing. He was old.