sandi

moving to Wisconsin

I've been offered a job in Wisconsin that I'm going to take. It looks like there are plenty of skydiving options there so that's a nice bonus. Now that I'll be gainfully employed I may actually start jumping again.:)
I was wondering if anyone on here is familiar with the area between Milwaukee and Madison. I'll be working in Whitewater but I'm not really a small-town person, so I want to move closer to either Milwaukee or Madison. Any info on areas to look at that have good schools would be much appreciated. I'm going to try and go up for a weekend soon to figure out where I want to live, but I need to narrow down the search.

White Water is a great little town. I went to school there. I think there is a DZ in Jefferson and 7 hills is in York Center, not too far north. East Troy isn't that far away. Madison is a great place to live. Beautiful area and a college town. I lived in Middleton and would take the boat to town to party. Then there's Milwaukee, they can party with anyone and the home of the only Concertina bar in the world. A lot depends on your budget for living and exactly where you will work, so maybe you have an easier commute.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

White Water is a great little town. I went to school there. I think there is a DZ in Jefferson and 7 hills is in York Center, not too far north. East Troy isn't that far away. Madison is a great place to live. .

And lots of jumpers come down to Skydive Chicago from that area.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Congrats on the new job! Whitewater is a great town. Small town but with a great college vibe. Whitewater puts you pretty much equal distance from Milwaukee and Madison. But if you want to live closer to big city I'd lean more towards Milwaukee than Madison, Madison tends to be higher priced in my opinion. There's Waukesha, and Delafield areas. I'm not sure on school quality. I know Whitewater itself has great schools. Mukwonago is on hwy 43 just south of Milwaukee and East troy/skyknights is just up the road.
If you end up actually leaning towards the small town vibe in the end Fort Atkinson and Whitewater are great towns. There is a great Cessna drop zone in between Fort Atkinson and Jefferson that gets a ton of jumpers from the west Milwaukee/Madison/Whitewater area (My home DZ) along with the mentioned seven hills more north of there in Marshall.
You are more than welcome to drop into my DZ (Atmosphair skydiving) to chat when you're here. A couple folks at the DZ just moved over to the West Milwaukee area and could likely give much better advice.

***And lots of jumpers come down to Skydive Chicago from that area.

I'm so glad I'll be closer to Chicago, I lived there for 10 years. At least I'll only be 2 hours away now.

I'll definitely have to go to Skydive Chicago sometime when I get started jumping again.

Congrats on the new job! Whitewater is a great town. Small town but with a great college vibe. Whitewater puts you pretty much equal distance from Milwaukee and Madison. But if you want to live closer to big city I'd lean more towards Milwaukee than Madison, Madison tends to be higher priced in my opinion. There's Waukesha, and Delafield areas. I'm not sure on school quality. I know Whitewater itself has great schools. Mukwonago is on hwy 43 just south of Milwaukee and East troy/skyknights is just up the road.
If you end up actually leaning towards the small town vibe in the end Fort Atkinson and Whitewater are great towns. There is a great Cessna drop zone in between Fort Atkinson and Jefferson that gets a ton of jumpers from the west Milwaukee/Madison/Whitewater area (My home DZ) along with the mentioned seven hills more north of there in Marshall.
You are more than welcome to drop into my DZ (Atmosphair skydiving) to chat when you're here. A couple folks at the DZ just moved over to the West Milwaukee area and could likely give much better advice.

I'll be working at the University in Whitewater and I don't really want to super long commute. But I think I would rather be closer to Milwaukee. I guess I'll just have to drive up and spend a weekend driving around to check out different areas. I'm kind of looking at Mukwonago though, the schools are really highly rated (I have a nine year-old) and that would put us close to Milwaukee.

Welcome to Wisconsin..it's a beautiful place; agl or at altitude, with great DZ's B|
Congratulations on your position at UW-Whitewater.
I have family members who are alumni there.
I'm actually from Milton, WI..only about 15 miles from Whitewater.
I know you say you don't like small towns, but mid size city; Janesville is 1/2 an hour or so from Whitewater, located in Rock Co.
It offers everything & wonderful schools, as does my hometown, Milton.
It is considered a " bedroom community".
My son & his family still live there !
Madison is @ 40 miles nw., Milwaukee @ 60 mi. east.
Both are easy to get to.
Madison is great !
I lived in the city of Milwaukee for a few years :S.
The outlying towns & 'burbs are good, but inner city..not so much [:/]
I actually left Milwaukee when my son was ready to start school, for that very reason.
Mukwonago is a good choice !
Lake Geneva is gorgeous, close , but an expensive little " nautical' touristry town.
East Troy Skyknights & Fort Atkinson's Atmosphair are within just a few miles from Whitewater, with 7 Hills a few miles further ...but absolutley the BEST DZ I've experienced being Staff & jumping with is right in your neck of the woods:
Skydive Midwest; Sturtevant, WI., now jumping a twin otter. ( just minutes south of Milwaukee)
You can take Hwy 11 from Whitewater to 43N to Sturtevant, drive up right to the hangar...45 minutes away.
Then you can head north to my home DZ area:
Skydive Adventure; Omro ( near Oshkosh).
I've also had the pleasure to be staff with, & jumped at Green Bay Skydivers & Skydive Door County; Sturgeon Bay !
Then come visit us at our relocation DZ: Skydive Superior.
B|

Welcome to Wisconsin..it's a beautiful place; agl or at altitude, with great DZ's B|
Congratulations on your position at UW-Whitewater.
I have family members who are alumni there.
I'm actually from Milton, WI..only about 15 miles from Whitewater.
I know you say you don't like small towns, but mid size city; Janesville is 1/2 an hour or so from Whitewater, located in Rock Co.
It offers everything & wonderful schools, as does my hometown, Milton.
It is considered a " bedroom community".
My son & his family still live there !
Madison is @ 40 miles nw., Milwaukee @ 60 mi. east.
Both are easy to get to.
Madison is great !
I lived in the city of Milwaukee for a few years :S.
The outlying towns & 'burbs are good, but inner city..not so much [:/]
I actually left Milwaukee when my son was ready to start school, for that very reason.
Mukwonago is a good choice !
Lake Geneva is gorgeous, close , but an expensive little " nautical' touristry town.
East Troy Skyknights & Fort Atkinson's Atmosphair are within just a few miles from Whitewater, with 7 Hills a few miles further ...but absolutley the BEST DZ I've experienced being Staff & jumping with is right in your neck of the woods:
Skydive Midwest; Sturtevant, WI., now jumping a twin otter. ( just minutes south of Milwaukee)
You can take Hwy 11 from Whitewater to 43N to Sturtevant, drive up right to the hangar...45 minutes away.
Then you can head north to my home DZ area:
Skydive Adventure; Omro ( near Oshkosh).
I've also had the pleasure to be staff with, & jumped at Green Bay Skydivers & Skydive Door County; Sturgeon Bay !
Then come visit us at our relocation DZ: Skydive Superior.
B|

I'm just a flatlander but I've been to Wisconsin a time or two...place seems kind of CHEESIE to me. :P

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Just be aware, if you move to Wisconsin, being a Packers fan is NOT optional. ;)

That's football, right?:D Can I just buy a Packers t-shirt and say I'm a fan? Or do I have to actually watch games?

You haven't lived til you've watched a home game at Green Bay in December or January in 10-15 degree weather and snowing in a sold-out stadium. ;)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Except for a couple of smaller communities that aren't exactly close to whitewater - stay out of Milwaukee county if you want good schools - MPS is terrible.

Mukwonago is a nice city in general if that's someplace you're considering and is reasonable for getting to Whitewater and Milwaukee. Any form of driving to downtown chicago from anywhere you would want to live that would be close to work just takes some effort, so not worth consideration most likely - unless you plan on being there all the time.

There are a lot of other good communities too just takes some digging around and research on what you're looking for.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Just be aware, if you move to Wisconsin, being a Packers fan is NOT optional. ;)

That's football, right?:D Can I just buy a Packers t-shirt and say I'm a fan? Or do I have to actually watch games?

Yes, that is football. But in Cheeseheadville, it's not "just football", it's a required activity. Don't fight it, just enjoy the antics. ;)
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."