theonlyski

Office place fuck-fuck games.

How do you deal with people trying to play their fuck-fuck games with you?

I'm a new guy, 2 months left on my probation (and all but officially done with it) and cleaning up the HUGE mess some other guy made.

Well, he's trying to throw me under the bus on something, something that I've got log files proving he is lying about. ;)

I got quite used to fuck-fuck games in the Army... Didn't expect to have to play them out here, but boy, does it bring a smile to my face!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I'm a new guy, 2 months left on my probation (and all but officially done with it) and cleaning up the HUGE mess some other guy made.

Well, he's trying to throw me under the bus on something, something that I've got log files proving he is lying about. ;)

I got quite used to fuck-fuck games in the Army... Didn't expect to have to play them out here, but boy, does it bring a smile to my face!

Generally I try to keep my head down, be nice and produce high quality work quickly and efficiently. It's worked well for me so far.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Dealt with this too .
Keep your proof, don't play his game,stay unemotional about it,don't talk around the office about it and then when asked by a supervisor just bring in your documentation and show them but also let them know you don't have a problem with the person.
No matter how slowly you say oranges it never sounds like gullible.
Believe me I tried.

As long as you document everything, you've got nothing to worry about when the time comes to play the cards you're dealt. ;)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Well, my problem is that he's lying to MY management about things that make it look like I either don't know what I'm doing or I have no integrity.

It's a VERY big deal at the moment and I don't feel like being hung out to dry, so I've presented logs that make it pretty clear that he's lying to my boss. We will see how it goes tomorrow I guess.

If he didn't make such a mess with this, it wouldn't have been an issue in the first place!:D

"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

But until then, remember: keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.

And in the work place, there's no difference between a friend and an enemy, it all depends on the situation that person is placed in regards to you. If you think otherwise, you will get burned.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Well, my problem is that he's lying to MY management about things that make it look like I either don't know what I'm doing or I have no integrity.

Sounds something like that asshole co-worker I had at my last job. He was a temper-tantrum-throwing 5yo in the body of a 40yo. Possibly the most dysfunctional human being I've ever met. Asshole would make up stories about me and my peer, and tell these to our mgr. And the clueless fuggin' mgr would believe it all and never listen to another side of the story.

I just tried to keep my head down and do my job. In retrospect I now wish I had confronted him and the worthless mgr head-on, *and* gone to HR about it. (The mgr has since been demoted).
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Sounds something like that asshole co-worker I had at my last job. He was a temper-tantrum-throwing 5yo in the body of a 40yo. Possibly the most dysfunctional human being I've ever met. Asshole would make up stories about me and my peer, and tell these to our mgr. And the clueless fuggin' mgr would believe it all and never listen to another side of the story.

I just tried to keep my head down and do my job. In retrospect I now wish I had confronted him and the worthless mgr head-on, *and* gone to HR about it. (The mgr has since been demoted).

I wish I would have "blown the whistle" on my supervisor earlier when I had a valid chance to. I would have saved my own job in the process, instead of waiting until I had let myself get so beat down by the time the dept manager (my supervisor's boss) made a lateral transfer and my supervisor lost his security blanket. The new dept manager then made a dept wide review, ultimately deciding that me and a couple others needed to go. At that point, I decided to take the motherfucker down.

So the next morning I got several emails from co-workers asking me what the hell happened to me. I told them I got fired, but I told the new manager everything about what that supervisor did. Apparently they had little love lost for that prick and shared their own feedback on his management methods. After a week, he was demoted to a cubicle with the rest of the people he used to lord over. Word later on was he kept to himself for a good number of weeks. :ph34r:
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Somehow over the last couple of decades I seem to have mostly avoided those. I don't know if you just don't see that so much in software engineering or if it's something about me in particular. I've seen a couple of people get walked out by security over the years, but they never tried to drag anyone down with them. One guy was apparently over the line of defrauding our client company, falsifying logs to make it appear that he was doing work that he wasn't.

Software engineers seem to often have a lone gunman mentality and rise and fall on their own. This seems to lead to a workplace that's reasonably free of fuckery.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

IM a welder. Don't really play the game of trying to Fuck people over.
If someone pisses you off asst work its acceptable to tell them to get fucked. Then they will tell you to get fucked.

Then at the end of the day you drink beer together.
Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

IM a welder. Don't really play the game of trying to Fuck people over.
If someone pisses you off asst work its acceptable to tell them to get fucked. Then they will tell you to get fucked.

Then at the end of the day you drink beer together.

:D:D That's pretty much the way it worked when I was in the military!

Seriously... In your career, people will try to smear you. Your best defense is like a lot of people said: work hard, do your job well, and document document document. Unfortunately, it won't always repair all the damage someone else has caused, but at least you won't contribute to your own downfall... Some people are clever enough to realise you are new and therefore an easy target for unscrupulous/incompetent jerks... Some people believe everything they are told.. [:/] Try not to get discouraged and do your best to consistently demonstrate your skills/value.
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

I have a 3 rule life policy:

1. Never Mess With My Job

2. Never Ever Mess With Man

3. Never, & I Mean Never Ever Mess With My Sons

Nor Theirs

I'm not sure what the problem is whether you are within your probationary period or not, but you have as much right to be hassled, harassment free as anyone with seniority !
Regardless of your experience or whether it's an
'on the job' training, it costs companies money for employee turnovers.
My bet you aren't the 1st of his prey, perhaps you'd be doing the company & yourself a favor !
Or could this be a test as to your stress limits, ability to get along &/or endure co-workers ?
If your intent is to keep this job, call the "pressure cooker" out.
Take it to management, HR., ask him directly what/ why the problem "he" has with you, or call him out before witnesses.
Why wait ?
Work place schemers & bullies ( aka: brown nosers) are typically threatened, insecure, cowards...
stand your ground...this is YOUR livelihood, as well ;)

All the above answers are right on.

Once your probation is over, consider this.

There is a less messy way . . .
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

>If he's defending himself he's not playing fuck-fuck games.

Sure he is; he's fucking them back.

Most employers can tell what's going on without someone "fucking him back." In one case they see the asshole fucking over someone who is just trying to do their job. In the other case they see two people fucking each other over. It's very clear what to do in case 1, less so in case 2.

All the above answers are right on.

Once your probation is over, consider this.

There is a less messy way . . .

Please! Those are such messy, traceable, time-consuming methods.

Drop the body at a local pig farm. They eat everything and leave no traceable remains, no rental receipts, no ballistics, etc.

Hoffa? Hoffa? Never heard of him.....

PS. Keep your evidence clear, your attitude up, and show you are the better employee. Ultimately, a boss likes the employee that makes their day better.
Jump more, post less!

I think people are less likely to mess with someone that has a torch in their hands.
Hhhhhhmmmm,I wonder if you would need a permit to carry one if those around.
Do they come small enough to fit in a purse?
No matter how slowly you say oranges it never sounds like gullible.
Believe me I tried.

I think people are less likely to mess with someone that has a torch in their hands.
Hhhhhhmmmm,I wonder if you would need a permit to carry one if those around.
Do they come small enough to fit in a purse?

Google is your friend.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun