Nataly

Favourite meal to make for guests?

since childhood, I have always loved linguine and a red seafood sauce...

it's easy to make if you have time...

simple base sauce of Red Clam sauce 2 or 3 cans... and then tomato paste as needed for thickening,,, and then timely addition of fresh raw shrimp,,,,,jumbo if they are available, since they shrink up a lot....(put them IN just near the end of cooking..) and either fresh lobster In shell...( the store folks can cut and prep if you prefer, discarding the head and cleaning the body cavity ) OR else lobster meat which was flash frozen and ready to cook...
we sometimes add an extra portion of fresh chopped clams, either frozen or canned...
a big sauce pot...and 2 pounds of pasta can feed a real crowd....;)
If the people are Special... I sometimes kick it UP from linguine....:o to fettucine!!!;)B|

back up plan is a couple of pounds of fresh pizza dough.. let it rise a bit, earlier in the day,, with a variety of toppings and one or two large salads....:)

I always used to do a fondue as part of a new year buffet.

Fondue has been a family favorite at least once or twice a year. :)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Tell us more? What kind of cheese? What kind of things do you cut up?

•1 large garlic clove, cut in half
•8 oz. of gruyere, shredded
•8 oz. of jarlsberg, shredded
•1 750 ml bottle of white wine such as Pinot Grigio or Chenin Blanc (don't use Chardonnay or Sauv. Blanc) Cooking wine works well, but it will make a saltier fondue.
•2-3 tbs. cornstarch
•3-4 oz. brandy
•freshly grated nutmeg

•1 firm baguette, cubed and toasted (important)
•broccoli, cut into bite-sized florets
•cauliflower, cut into bite-sized florets
•apple slices

Rub the garlic around the pot and throw it in. Add the wine. Heat the wine on stove-top (it is much easier to fix it on the stove) till it starts to bubble. While waiting for the wine to heat, mix the cornstarch and brandy into a slurry.

Add the cheese one handful at a time, stirring until melted before adding more. When all the cheese is melted, add enough of the cornstarch/brandy slurry to thicken (amount varies by batch). It should be slightly thinner than you think it should be--it will thicken as people dip. Grate nutmeg into the fondue.

Transfer fondue into the set (my fondue pot is metal, so I can use it on the stove, but if yours is ceramic, you'll need a separate pot for the stove) Keep the burner under it set at medium-high so the cheese stays melted.

If you lose a piece off the end of your fork, you have to kiss the person next to you. :$
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

•1 750 ml bottle of white wine such as Pinot Grigio or Chenin Blanc (don't use Chardonnay or Sauv. Blanc) Cooking wine works well, but it will make a saltier fondue.
•2-3 tbs. cornstarch
•3-4 oz. brandy
•freshly grated nutmeg

•apple slices

Rub the garlic around the pot and throw it in. Add the wine. Heat the wine on stove-top (it is much easier to fix it on the stove) till it starts to bubble. While waiting for the wine to heat, mix the cornstarch and brandy into a slurry.

Add the cheese one handful at a time, stirring until melted before adding more. When all the cheese is melted, add enough of the cornstarch/brandy slurry to thicken (amount varies by batch). It should be slightly thinner than you think it should be--it will thicken as people dip. Grate nutmeg into the fondue.

Transfer fondue into the set (my fondue pot is metal, so I can use it on the stove, but if yours is ceramic, you'll need a separate pot for the stove) Keep the burner under it set at medium-high so the cheese stays melted.

If you lose a piece off the end of your fork, you have to kiss the person next to you. :$

You know your fondue! B|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Some great recipes on here - will have to try them when I get a chance :)

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

That sounds really good! I have a small crockpot that is for dips, I bet I could use that!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

That sounds really good! I have a small crockpot that is for dips, I bet I could use that!

I've got a fondue cookbook. Large variety of fondues to make. :)

Any of the following depending on how complex I feel like going:

Pizza (from scratch, other than killing the animals for meat myself). Style varies by mood, sometimes thin crust, sometimes chicago style, etc.

Pan-seared teriyaki salmon, with wasabi oven glaze, served with coconut rice.

Beef tenderloin with bleu cheese sauce and garlic mashed potatoes

Three-cheese toasted ravioli in rose sauce, with grilled chorizo & prawns (this one takes all frickin' day and I have to REALLY like the people to go through the effort)

and about 87 diff mexican dishes

:)

Aaaaaaand now I'm hungry. Don't happen to live in Brisbane by chance, do you? ;)

Melbs! Come on down and freeze!
cavete terrae.

Note, to all you pizza dough from scratch makers, instead of using yeast and letting the dough
prove just pour in 30cl of beer to 900grms of flour an use it straight away.

I should add that's thin crust only. IMO any pizza that is thick crust is just tomato, cheese and whatever
on top of a cake.

Gone fishing

Either steaks on the grill, grilled lime chicken wrapped in green chilies, or homemade lasagna.

When I'm in my home in Florida, grilling is the easiest (steaks, potatoes and corn), with a salad. That's also if the guests are kind of "last minute."

Here in Turkey, I've developed a few of my favorite meals for company. Just hosted my second annual tequila dinner last week -- black bean soup, barbecue beef brisket (even the sause is made from scratch), margarita shrimp, rosemary chicken salad in puff pastry, and tequila cake. I also served a green salad, with three homemade dressings, all made with tequila. Huge hit!

For New Years, I have a tradition of brunch. The dish that is always part of that is my eggnog french toast. :)
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

Beer Butt Chicken

The concept is valid, using Fosters is not. Fosters is a joke Aussies have played on the rest of the beer drinking world, only you guys still haven't gotten it... :D:D
You are playing chicken with a planet - you can't dodge and planets don't blink. Act accordingly.

Beer Butt Chicken

The concept is valid, using Fosters is not. Fosters is a joke Aussies have played on the rest of the beer drinking world, only you guys still haven't gotten it... :D:D

A lot like the American Budweiser and the Mexican Corona joke that leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Gone fishing

•2-3 tbs. cornstarch
•3-4 oz. brandy
•freshly grated nutmeg

•apple slices

Personally I prefer fondue chinoise.

If it has to be cheese, I'll take raclette over fondue.

I love hot pot! :)
Occasionally, I will make oil fondue, with a myriad of meats, vegies, and sauces. Not very often, anymore, since the kids palates have matured (and it's ten times the effort of cheese).:$

I have an electric raclette, but I've only used it twice. :|. I should try it again.

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

The main dish will vary depending on who the company is. I have a strong culinary background so my dishes are pretty diverse. One thing is always certain though...my feta bruchetta has ALWAYS been a hit. I made it a few weeks ago for an appetizer party and I went through 2 baguettes(roughly 2 feet long each) and their were only 6 adults partaking, and their were others items as well!
"Age has absolutely nothing to do with knowledge, learning, respect, attitude, or personality." -yardhippie
"Fight the air, and the air will kick your ass!!! "-Specialkaye