normiss

Contributing to a broken jumper?

....are there any Obama Care experts out there ? Will the up coming roll out help out certain types of jumpers ? I'll admit i know nothing about the new Gov plans...i am curious tho

I'm not remotely an Obamacare or health insurance expert. This might not fully answer your question, but... There are some people in the US who, if they can't get employer-provided health insurance, currently cannot obtain their own private health insurance because the private health insurance industry classifies them as "uninsurable" due to certain types of pre-existing conditions. Under Obamacare, some time in 2014 private health insurance coverage will be available to people with preexisting conditions.

Sorry you've decided not to read any more of this thread because it sounds like you really need to hear this. A lot of people are sick and tired of paying for the irresponsible behaviors of others! [:/]

I'm sorry that upsets you. Please PM me because I'd truly like to send $$ to help. But, I'm also exercising my right to be publically and verbally pissed at people for being irresponsible and then looking to everyone else for help. Since you seem to have little trouble accepting $$$$, I’d think accepting a little criticism would be easy. The two are not mutually exclusive!

Oh, and to Andy…. heal fast. And, best wishes for a full and complete recovery. :)

Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Why are you criticizing her for simply spreading the word that someone is hurt and a fundraiser has been set up? Its not like she is collecting money for herself and it isn't even her fundraiser. What is so wrong with saying 'xxx is hurt, they are doing a fundraiser, here is how you can contribute IF YOU WISH TO'?

she was upset because people couldn't leave the fundraiser thread to the fundraising, and leave this discusion here. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on this matter. she simply asked that you keep those comments where they belonged (here) and out of the other thread.

there is a world of difference between asking for help and expecting help. if people want to help someone out, why bash them for it?

flame away.

At what point do you take a step back at look at the big picture?
This is the THIRD time this particular jumper has had a jump related injury.
Hasn't paid the previous bills either.
When do you get smart?
WE are already donating, albeit not directly. ;)

It's not criticizing her for spreading the word. The criticism is that those of us who think that insurance in this sport is kind of important and get pissed at those who run into predictable disaster are criticized that we lack "humanity." Or for being "immature." Yes, stating a desire that people take ownership of themselves is immature.

I may be misguided on this. Did he have insurance when he got injured last month? I didn't see any calls for donations to help with that one so maybe he was insured for it. If so, perhaps the donations can be used to bring his insurance current - he has 59 days from cancellation to make that happen and could stop a world of hurt.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

That's a vapid argument. Did you know that you are REQUIRED to have car insurance? *You* think that's reasonable? I do!!

Health coverage is just the same; you never know what is going to hit you and when!
And unfortunately, I also have to have Uninsured Drivers Coverage in this pathetic state of ours. Just so I can get re-imbursed when some cheap-ass redneck, high on meth, slams into me.

I bet your employer didn't help you get your car insurance either.

I've always had healthcare and I always will thanks to the 21 years I spent on active duty. $21 bucks a month is nothing. I also have life insurance and always will because it's stupid to die and expect others to take care of your personal affairs if you croak.

Being a professional skydiver and not having health coverage is stupid. You are definitely, at some point in your jumping career, going to incur a hospital or doctors office bill for something skydiving related if you stay at it long enough. If you, like most of us who do this for a living, are a 1099 contractor at your dropzone then you are an idiot if you don't understand that the price of your healthcare is a business expense. Skydiving is DANGEROUS and shit happens! If you cannot afford to pay your hospital bills if/ when you pile in, then STOP JUMPING and get a safer job. It is NOT the responsibility of the rest of the public or the government to pick up the tab. Ever.

Now as to the question of "contributing to a broken jumper", I'll make that decision based on the individual circumstances. First of all, does that jumper have a history of doing reckless things? No insurance? BASE jumper? BASE jumper previously injured on a BASE jump with no insurance? Has the person committed a felony by assuming another's identity and using their SSN to get treated for previous jumping injuries? Is there ANY possibility that ANY donation I make would make the slightest dent in any hospital bills or would that money simply go into the person's pocket for living expenses due to the injury which should have been covered by health insurance? Does the person have life insurance?
Is the person married? Does the person have children? Is this donation really going to do any good?

I've gifted and lent out a lot of money in the past. I've been gifted and lent money as well. I've paid to help pay for a memorial page in parachutist magazine a NUMBER of times now. Does anyone remember the woman in Texas that was having a fundraiser so she could save her house from foreclosure? No job, big-ass house with a hot tub and pool, always throwing parties?

Not sure what all the commotion is about. Simple, as that: "You can't afford a *decent* coverage of health insurance, you can't jump!"

P.S.: Get catastrophic coverage, if you can afford a $5k or $10k out-of-pocket. Get better protection, at a higher premium, if you can't. And if you can't afford either: DON'T JUMP!

At what point do you take a step back at look at the big picture?
This is the THIRD time this particular jumper has had a jump related injury.
Hasn't paid the previous bills either.
When do you get smart?
WE are already donating, albeit not directly. ;)

And even if you can't afford $5 or $10K out-of-pocket, I think that the reaction to an appeal to help someone make their deductible would be met with lot more sympathy and ample contributions.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

And even if you can't afford $5 or $10K out-of-pocket, I think that the reaction to an appeal to help someone make their deductible would be met with lot more sympathy and ample contributions.

Wendy P.

Now THAT is the kind of fund raiser that I'd GLADLY help out with.

Chuck

Why are you criticizing her for simply spreading the word that someone is hurt and a fundraiser has been set up?

I didn't! I even offered to contribute. I did, however, comment that, IMHO, it's unreasonable to ask for donations and then expect that nobody would ask questions or make comments. And then come here and verbally tongue-lash those who did. :)
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

That's a vapid argument. Did you know that you are REQUIRED to have car insurance? *You* think that's reasonable? I do!!

Health coverage is just the same; you never know what is going to hit you and when!
And unfortunately, I also have to have Uninsured Drivers Coverage in this pathetic state of ours. Just so I can get re-imbursed when some cheap-ass redneck, high on meth, slams into me.

That was not the point of my post. Go back and re-read

That was not the point of my post. Go back and re-read

Yeah, I was wondering, too, but impressed by his use of the word "vapid", so I let it go. ;)

Well I have seen many of my friends get hurt and also die from skydiving. I myself have broke my femur twice and worked my butt off to pay for it both times. I never asked for a fund raiser.

I think the problem now days is that there are so many kids in the sport from the new generation of everyone else owes me something. What many people are calling now the generation of entitlement.

All of my friends work hard for what they have and they earned it. If you don't have medical insurance the doctors will still repair you and you can make payments to them, I am living proof of that.

If you feel like you want to help a friend out by paying their bills for them, by no means am I telling you not to help. I am just saying it can be done all on your own with hard work and diligence.

I have to say, when Chad and I both were broken on the same day, some friends did drum up fund raising. We didn't ask for it, our priorities were on survival, quite honestly, in that moment... mostly for him. We also could not have made it without the financial support. We have great medical insurance, but those copays all add up, and with both of us requiring multiple surgeries, me unable to walk or help him much for the first three months, it was bad. Friend support made a bad situation bearable, and we are forever greatful for the help, whether it be walking the dogs, mowing the lawn, bringing clothes to the hospital (three hours from our home) so that I didn't stink too badly, getting the mail, etc... we are so fortunate to have incredible people in our lives.

Would I donate to a total stranger? Maybe. Depends on the circumstances. Would I donate to a friend? If needed and I could do so, yes. Would I help them out in other ways? If possible due to geography, absolutely.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Wasn't going to get into this conversation but its a personal choice to donate or not.

I have donated to most of the threads asking for help here over the years but it does look like a worrying change in attitudes is occurring across the pond but perhaps elsewhere too ?.

Most of the people i donated to here i have not met, some i have spoke to/some not. Some where good friends who i still miss [:/]. It varies in a big way as to the reasons they went in or got injured, i try not to judge. We all screw up at one point.

One thing that i remember a well Known canopy pilot tell me was " If you head down the Pilot course of the sport expect fractures and broken bones" that applies to this sport in general but holds true.

Where i differ, what makes me try and help out. Is in the UK we have national health service. Which covers all through Tax contributions, sorry but non of the Medical insurance bullshit here. I was in a serious motorbike accident in 2011 which could have killed me by all accounts and took 6 weeks in hospital and a year to recover good enough to work again. I did have insurance to cover my bills but it wasn't needed for medical care.

so when i hear of a person across the pond or elsewhere in need depending on the situation i try and help if i decided not to i don't add to the thread and would leave it be for others to judge on its Merritt or not

My £££££ worth, as we don't deal in funny money $$$$ and don't drink Coffee but Tea:P:D:D

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun