IanHarrop

one thing I would change in the new format

Don't get me wrong I like the new format BUT I hate seeing the DB Cooper thread in the list of Recent Forum Discussions at the bottom of the page.

I wonder if there is any way to remove that thread from the list?

The fact that those people waste electrons rehashing that topic is bad enough, being reminded that they do so sucks.

Isn't there a forum rule about wasting bandwidth? I've heard that some people think discussions in Bonfire are a waste but there is nothing in Bonfire that comes any where close to the waste that the DB Cooper thread represents.

STOP THE INSANITY :S
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

IMO, I think they should move that thread out of the "Skydiving History" forum and give it it's own separate place (preferably one you can hide, like you can do with the non-english forums).

The problem with it being where it is, is that it is almost always the most recent post in the forum, so when something interesting get posted on another topic, you rarely see it on the front page (the one with the list of all forums). The advantage for the DB people is that they could then open up as many threads as they want. I think it would be a win-win for all.

rwieder

Almost as bad as this one

Unlike D.B. Cooper, This one shows up each & every day. You wouldn't think you could beat a dead horse to death but these two threads prove you can.

Views: 499,112

DB Cooper thread is worse, its now at 1,666,334 views
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

rwieder

Almost as bad as this one

Unlike D.B. Cooper, This one shows up each & every day. You wouldn't think you could beat a dead horse to death but these two threads prove you can.

Views: 499,112

Like it or hate it, BV's thread is very much a part of the BF :$, whereas the DB thread has absolutely NOTHING to do with skydiving back in the day. [:/]
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

On November 13th of last year, I made this post.

At that time, there was less than 40,000 posts. In the less than 6 months later, there are now 43,114 posts. That is over 17 posts each and every day. I can not fathom what there is to talk about. And the same 10 people belabor the same crap, often quoting and requoting the 90 page tome someone felt was necessary to contribute in the first place and has been hashed/bashed to death. Talk about wasted bandwidth.

I enjoy reading interesting tales of the early jumpers. You know, actual skydiving history/trivia. On the off chance there might be some real history, you have to wade past the behemoth of DB Cooper.

I agree, give the Cooperites their own section that can be hidden. Make them feel special that they get their own dedicated section. All while keeping those hits to the site that generate revenue for the site.

HH and Meso, for the love of all that is holy in skydiving(beer and stories around the bonfire), please consider this plea.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

oldwomanc6

Like it or hate it, BV's thread is very much a part of the BF :$, whereas the DB thread has absolutely NOTHING to do with skydiving back in the day. [:/]

In my view the Sick & Twisted thread is a potpourri of odds & ends that are unrelated, but amusing. Each post is something new and bizarre, but perhaps not worth creating a whole new thread.

In contrast, the DB Cooper thread only gets new info perhaps once per year. I agree with an earlier suggestion that it should have it's own forum. With the sheer volume of posts, being able to create a thread for each new tangent might make it actually possible to follow a sub-discussion.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

In my view the Sick & Twisted thread is a potpourri of odds & ends that are unrelated, but amusing. Each post is something new and bizarre, but perhaps not worth creating a whole new thread.

In contrast, the DB Cooper thread only gets new info perhaps once per year. I agree with an earlier suggestion that it should have it's own forum. With the sheer volume of posts, being able to create a thread for each new tangent might make it actually possible to follow a sub-discussion.

I can't argue with a thing you said. :)
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

i guess i'm just being a bit nostalgic, but i like the old style better. it was the first real internet forum i was on, except for a website that was disbanded a couple of years ago. it was the standard i held all other forums to. i will miss it. that being said, i do like the way things flow, but i miss the button for "my posts". sometimes i just have a minute and want to see where the discussion is on a certain thread. can we get that button back? it would be a lot easier than creating a new section, although that wouldn't be too hard.
http://kitswv.com

Hi Sean,

Well put. I have been trying for some time now to get that *#@% thread moved.

1. It is the same-o, same-o BS rehashed over & over, ad infinitum.
2. It has nothing to do with skydiving; never did , never will; anybody want to argue that.
3. I continually think that there is something new in the Trivia Section only to find it is the same-o, same-o BS in the Cooper crap; a complete waste of effort.

Time for upper management to step up & put it out of it's misery.

JerryBaumchen

JerryBaumchen

Hi Sean,

Well put. I have been trying for some time now to get that *#@% thread moved.

1. It is the same-o, same-o BS rehashed over & over, ad infinitum.
2. It has nothing to do with skydiving; never did , never will; anybody want to argue that.
3. I continually think that there is something new in the Trivia Section only to find it is the same-o, same-o BS in the Cooper crap; a complete waste of effort.

Time for upper management to step up & put it out of it's misery.

JerryBaumchen

I don't think that's quite necessary, and it would be a financial hardship for the site, I'm thinking, but giving it it's own forum that doesn't interfering with actual skydiving discussions, would be welcome by most.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

ryoder

And the reason I started that thread was because I was posting a new thread for almost each new sick and twisted pic or link that I came across. Sometimes 2 or 3 new threads a day. When somebody complained, I thought why not start one thread and put all of my stuff in there? Make the mods' job a little easier? It just happened that everybody that had something to add in there did. I'm amazed it's lasted this long.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

ryoder

The thread wouldn't be nearly as long and nearly as worthless if it wasn't for the crazy old lady who thinks her dead conman husband was Cooper. She ratchets up the crazy to 11 and you can really tell when she's off her meds. She ruined any chance of meaningful discussion there.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I'm going to change the way the recent posts list work later today, I will refine the forum areas from where it grabs information and in the process I will remove the History and Trivia section from being pulled into that feed. That forum itself is generally quiet and the most active thread is the DBCooper one. That should remove the thread from the recent posts listing.

Edit: You should no longer see the DBCooper thread in the recent posts area.

Interesting. I know very little of how these forums operate but I believe one of the criteria advertisers look at is overall activity on the forum. So the DB Cooper thread is good and bad at the same time?
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

airdvr

Interesting. I know very little of how these forums operate but I believe one of the criteria advertisers look at is overall activity on the forum. So the DB Cooper thread is good and bad at the same time?

Hiding the DB Cooper thread from the feed at the bottom isn't going to make much of a ripple. Only about 10-20 people ever read/post in that thread.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

rwieder

Go to the top of this page, and click on "My Stuff" you'll see "My Topics" there! :)

thanx. it is still there, just gotta dig for it. it's still easier than trying to remember which threads i'm watching sometimes.

No need to dig really ;)

It's under the my stuff drop-down menu at the top as well as under 'topics' on the right side of your screen. On the side bar. So you should be able to get to it with a single click.

Amazon

The off and then ON their meds goes to Mr MKULTRA... with the DB hijacking being set up by Richard Nixon... you can almost tell when his shipment comes in for the month...

I don't know why more people don't watch this documentary about the DB Cooper case: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0364751/

It answer all the questions.:ph34r:
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

not digging, per se, just referring to more than the button by itself at the top. i'm just glad it didn't go away completely. you guys do a pretty good job with the website. i didn't know how much of a bitch it was until i started designing them.