mjosparky

Remember when

You're doing it the hard way. The local grocery store used to set cases of turned-in Coke bottles out back. Guess where we went to get bottles to turn in when we needed a little spare change. No video surveillance cameras in the old days.

So did we, then the owners started using textas (permanent markers) on the bottom.
We had to clean off the evidence before returning them.:ph34r::ph34r:

Working for our money:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Hi Sparky,

I wonder if anyone remembers the old chest type of soft drink coolers.

The bottle sat in slots, you slid the bottle that you wanted over to a place where you would pull it out after you put your money in.

Well, as a young teenager we used to go to the grocery stores with a church key & a straw. One guy kept lookout while the other one popped the top off of the bottle, stuck the straw in and got a free soft drink. But you had to work fast. B|

We were enterprising!!!!! :P

JerryBaumchen

Really made me wonder about some of those 2nd. and 3rd. graders! Now, every kid that can talk has a cell-phone! :S

Reminds me of a long conversation I had with JohnMitchell and vskydiver's youngest daughter when she was 13 or 14. She was pleading her case with me because Mom and Dad didn't want to hear it anymore. She was heartbroken because she wasn't allowed to have a texting plan on her cell phone, and was quite convinced that the inability to communicate in that way would make her a total social pariah (in that dramatic way that only teenage girls can muster up).

I offered to call child protective services on her behalf ;) and shared with her how much I had to suffer at her age. At her age, I had to save up my babysitting money to pay to have an extra extension for the family's land line (land line!) installed in my bedroom because our house was old enough that there were only extensions in the kitchen and master bedroom. :D:D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

My wife and I, went out for dinner one evening and I noticed a young family at one of the tables. The boy was about 9 and the girl was about 11 or 12. Each of the kids was on their cell-phones texting while mom and dad were on their cell-phones and I'm certain, they weren't talking to each other!
It seems to me, there was more 'family' communication at the supper table before cell-phones.

Chuck

You guys are going to far back!

Remember.. Pagers? :o

I'm actually... uh... wearing a one-way pager right now. (though it is alphanumeric!)

I still have an old Sears pong game from the 70s, an Atari 2600, Lincoln logs, and an Erector set. I remember a "game" with little racehorse figurines on slats that would shake back and forth and the horses would race. My first computer only had a single 5.25" floppy so you had to load the OS into memory, take the disk out, and load your program from another disk. Also, I remember riding my bicycle to the hobby shop to see the latest model train scene they had built and to buy matchbox cars to play with in the sandbox.

More recently I remember: Car phones, 2400 baud modems, 640K of main memory, and the headache it took to deconflict IRQs, DMA channels, and memory ranges on every. single. program. you. installed. so that you could have music, sound effects, and a joystick (if you were lucky) all working at the same time.

My wife and I, went out for dinner one evening and I noticed a young family at one of the tables. The boy was about 9 and the girl was about 11 or 12. Each of the kids was on their cell-phones texting while mom and dad were on their cell-phones and I'm certain, they weren't talking to each other!
It seems to me, there was more 'family' communication at the supper table before cell-phones

Chuck

Cell Phone etiqiuate? I guess I'll google it to see if there is any CP behavior or misbehavoir that is unacceptable .

A family eating out and everyone is doing whatever they want on their indivdual smart phones rather than have a discussion with their family. :S

IMO whats the point of eating together when everyone is ignoreing ea other and texting their friends.:S.

Oops me bad :( forgot about the free meal :$
One Jump Wonder

IMO whats the point of eating together when everyone is ignoreing ea other and texting their friends..

Because good ol' mom is either incapable or unwilling to cook a meal for the family.[:/]

Sparky

Mom works just as many hours as Dad, nowadays! Dad should be able to cook, too--Oh Wait, remember when Mom was the one doing the cooking? ;)
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

IMO whats the point of eating together when everyone is ignoreing ea other and texting their friends..

Because good ol' mom is either incapable or unwilling to cook a meal for the family.[:/]

Sparky

Mom works just as many hours as Dad, nowadays! Dad should be able to cook, too--Oh Wait, remember when Mom was the one doing the cooking? ;)

In my family (Italian immigrants) women in the kitchen was mandatory. I think there was some sort of ritualistic social interaction, gossiping, etc. associated with it. Not sure. Men in the kitchen? ...not unless you wanted to be threatened with a ladle, or worse. That also may have had something to do with the women's yakking sessions in the kitchen.

Sparky

In my family (Italian immigrants) women in the kitchen was mandatory. I think there was some sort of ritualistic social interaction, gossiping, etc. associated with it. Not sure. Men in the kitchen? ...not unless you wanted to be threatened with a ladle, or worse. That also may have had something to do with the women's yakking sessions in the kitchen.

if that were really the status quo for Italians, there would be a dearth of male Italian Chefs;)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

remember when you had to push the little button on the floor by the e brake to change the light from dim to bright in vehicles. i miss that:(

Remember when you had to step on a button on the floor to start the engine and there wasn't a key?

...the windshield wipers ran on vaccum, the faster ya went up a hill the slower the wipers worked. :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

remember when you had to push the little botton on the floor by the e brake to change the light from dim to bright in vehicles. i miss that:(

What???
I had no idea that you were THAT old!
:D:D;)
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

remember when you had to push the little botton on the floor by the e brake to change the light from dim to bright in vehicles. i miss that:(

What???
I had no idea that you were THAT old!
:D:D;)

My '74 Chevy had that switch.

Took me a while to not try and kick it when I got a newer truck.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

remember when you had to push the little button on the floor by the e brake to change the light from dim to bright in vehicles. i miss that:(

Remember when you had to step on a button on the floor to start the engine and there wasn't a key?

...the windshield wipers ran on vaccum, the faster ya went up a hill the slower the wipers worked. :ph34r:

Hi Jimmy,
Remember when we had to pull a "Blast Handle!!" (God Forbid) to get the parachute to come out and stop us from smacking the deck at high speed!! 'Thought you would! If'n ya' didn't have one in yer archives, ya' got the one I sent ya'!!!!

PS, 'Love my Blast Handle!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

i remember when (barley) super nintendo was the best gaming system:P

The game we had that plugged in was a football field that vibrated and shook the players all over the field. I remember when "pong" was the only video game.

I remember pong:)
When did the new video game come out:|

Anyone remember remember collecting all the old xmas tree's in the concrete jungle (mass qty's in a small area)
Dragging them to a vacant lot surrounded by concrete and brick, a lighting a match for aa outstand big ass fire and the fire dept or police could care less.

Playing stick ball in the middle of the street 3rd or was it the second manhole was a home run. Delay in game due to cars wanting to pass.

Losing the only spaulding ball down the storm sewer getting a metal coat haanger and fishing it out so we could get back to stick ball.

Stoop ball

Pitching pennies, nickles, quarters for money closest to the line wines all.

Pitching baseball, cowboy cards against the wall closest card wins all.

Walking to the neighborhood butcher on satuday morning and watch him cut a hanging side of beef to order. Long line[:/]

Buying pickels out of a large wooden barrel.

Buying fresh baggels hot out of the oven in the middle of the night.

The guy who kept to himself at the end of the hall that had a strange tattoo on his arm with nothing but numbers.

Walking to the neighborhood fruit stand hustleing up some real wood crates for free, finding someone that had a hammer, a saw and using the metal skakes. combine all the stuff and make your own custom skooter.

Tar beach

First time a big irish cop gave you a attitude adjustment with a long night stick.

Funny stuff folks remember. For some reason most folks remember their lottery number from 40 yr's ago. Big stake gamble lose and you die unless your mama or pappy could afford to send you to college and keep you there.

Remember before their was a lottery for the draft mommy and pappy that had the $$$ could still buy you a college deferment.

Remember arlo guthrie in the movie alices resturant standing in his underwear in whitehall street. I remember standing in that line. some of the movie was true and some was hollywood.:o

Group w bench they must have hid that thing never saw it. or any of the guy's I grew up with. The old fart that took your cloth's so no one could steal them while you stood in line in your whitey tighties. For some reason I can't remember the face but I do remeber he was old and had one arm.

When the apt bldg converted from coal heat to oil. No more banging on the radiator to wake up the super to get his butt out of bed and throw some coal into the furnace.

Dumb waiter in your apt.

Walking to Yankee stadium and trying to hustle a free ticket so you could get into the stadium.

When the first TV arrived in the neighbor hood. Back and white, no remote, just rabbit ears for a antenna.

Hanging your laundry out to dry from a 6 flr one bdrm apt. One end of cloth's line attached to the fire escape other end to the bedroom window. at least we had a pully.

Spelling was over rated. draft board never complained. Next next next;)

Figureing out a legal way to dodge the draft without the help of your mommy or pappy. You screw up you die! Enlisted in the air force even though I couldn't spell.

FWIW I don't hold any ill will to the folks that bugged out, used their wealth or connections to do what they did to beat the draft.

Google Al Gore. wikipedia for some funny shit. Don't know if it's true or not but it is some funny shit. There's even a pic of al and tipper getting married Al is even wearing a army uniform that looks unique;) But i know nothing about what the army wore except in the rear way back in the rear.

People used a slip stick to get a engr degree.

Getting a "free" ride to college from uncle sam. $175/mo

When the bank actually issued a bank book that showed all your deposits and debits.

Before credit cards were ever issued.

When all four tires on your car were a different brand and were bought used.

When you could walk to the corner grocery store buy a hot loaf of rye bread and watch the owner insert it into the electric slicing machine. Without any safety guards.
One Jump Wonder

My first two rigs had blast handles, i used them twice, no probs,,,,i forgot why they fell out of favor,,,in know the plastic reserve handle was an idiotic idea...

The blast handle wasn't so bad if you drilled out the center post which was what could cause it to jam. Perhaps your were already drilled.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I had a blast handle on my piggyback (1972) and never had to pull it thankfully. D B a local here in Nebraska had a total (belly band pilot chute twisted) and spent the rest of his life trying to pull it. The center dowel had to be drilled out or it would jam in the housing unless you pulled straight down or had the reserve rc housing tacked a few inches up so the housing could flex with the pull. Probably why it was banned.

I remember a manual choke knob on the dashboard of Ford F-100 pickups that you had to finess or the engine would never start and most of the other stuff mentioned except the irish cop thing.

edited because I can't spell

D B a local here in Nebraska had a total (belly band pilot chute twisted) and spent the rest of his life trying to pull it. The center dowel had to be drilled out or it would jam in the housing unless you pulled straight down or had the reserve rc housing tacked a few inches up so the housing could flex with the pull. Probably why it was banned.

Sorry about your friend. I had a chop with a blast handle reserve, center post intact. It worked fine but I always pull straight on any ripcord, never at some angle to the housing. One of the USPA directors had an extremely hard pull on a blast handle (was it J. Scott Halmiton?) and he started the movement to ban them.

Yes, those plastic handles were a piece of crap.:SWho's dumb idea was that?:|

I remember a manual choke knob on the dashboard of Ford F-100 pickups that you had to finess or the engine would never start

My Spitfire manual choke you'd play like a slide trombone and she'd start up almost everytime. B|

D B a local here in Nebraska had a total (belly band pilot chute twisted) and spent the rest of his life trying to pull it.

Are you talking about shorty's place in lincoln. Heard the club had a B-day maybe 50 yr's. To bad shorty couldn't make it. A great guy.

If my memory is correct [:/] The belly band pc issue was due to a failure to make a good idea jumper/idiot proof. We had a similar situation in 1971-73 in KS. I also knew the guy that it happened to.

A uncurrent jumper with more money than brains that wanted the latest and greatest gear. Being a seasonal jumper probably saved the guys life.

Ground rush got his attention to go to plan B. plastic, silver, blast handle metal or whatever he used, he lived. :)
I didn't witness the event the dudes name was Tom Bowles, the DZ was the origional Ka-Mo skydiving club located in Edgerton Ks.

Mr Booth deleoped a newer design that I think a least made the twisted belly band pc issue a mute point except there's always the jumper proof issue.

I think the solution to the belly band issue may have been as easy as increaseing the thickness of the webbing for the belly band webbing and maybe attaching a heavy duty plastic stiffner to the belly band to prevent the "unavoidable" twisted PC problem.:S

Check your shit before you get on on the plane problem solved:|

But the weak point in any design was still the Jumper.When the ROL pc came out there was still a problem with twisted leg straps:S. This might be where the novel idea of the step in harness (PIA) (pre industry PIA) came from.

See solution to the twisted belly band PC issue. SOS[:/]

Mr Booth was is and always will be the man.B| There was joke back in ks something about Mr booth invented the PC in tow.:S Hew was leading edge and he may have under estimated how stupid jumpers can be.

See solution above SOS

Mid airs who said jumpers are stupid? They invented another way to kill themselves Mid airs which broke IMO one of the basic rules of jumping. Cause no harm to others.:o No pull, low pull, etc only one stupid jumper got hurt.:)
Kiss principal allways worked for me, not having any boobs actually helped keep me safe by trying stuff before I was ready for it.

R.I.P.
One Jump Wonder