mjosparky

Remember when

Air raid sirens on public buildings…burning trash in the back yard. Flat top haircuts….French cuffed Levis. Saturday afternoon serials….Woolworth lunch counters. Paper routes…..walking to school. Marble bags….lunch boxes.

The life of a kid sure has change.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Air raid sirens on public buildings…

NO, IM NOT THAT BLOODY OLD!:ph34r:

burring trash in the back yard. Flat top haircuts….French cuffed Levis. Saturday afternoon serials….Woolworth lunch counters. Paper routes…..walking to school. Marble bags….lunch boxes.

Sparky

But yes to the rest, all those things were part of my childhood and i didnt even grow up in the same country as you. Or the same decade.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Air raid sirens on public buildings…burning trash in the back yard. Flat top haircuts….French cuffed Levis. Saturday afternoon serials….Woolworth lunch counters. Paper routes…..walking to school. Marble bags….lunch boxes.

Sparky

I kept my Marbles from childhood and gave some of the toys i save to my kids :)
kids lives i think have become more restrictive as parents worry a lot more now than in my day

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

In Asheville, there is an old Woolworth's that was converted to an art gallery, but the lunch counter is still up and running. It was cool to see!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

yes.... ALL of it.. also...
riding a bike ( or Walking !! ) to get somewhere... instead of being "chauffeured".
:| and Buying that bike for 5 dollars, from a kid that you knew from school.:)
keeping a dime in your pocket, "in case we have to make a phone call"...[:/]
keeping a QUarter in your pocket so you could buy FIVE candy bars....B|

Only Owning One pair of "dress shoes" and one pair of Sneakers...

doing whatever a Parent ( or ANY adult family member ) asked, the FIRST time.
seeing your Grandma and Grandpa EVERY day,, Not just on holidays or your birthday.. ( hell,, they Lived NEXT DOOR !! ) ,,,
Rin Tin Tin, Fury, Our Gang, and Sky King !!(brought to you by Lorna Doone) "Outta The Blue, of the Western Sky..... It's SKY KING!!!!!!....:ph34r:B|;):)As for "burning trash in the backYard"... absolutely... Until that windy day that Grandpa had One get away from him,,[:/] and set the field next to us on fire... which ran away for acres and acres, til the volunteer Firemen could come and beat it into the ground.. i STILL can remember three things about that..
1. How cool the freshly burned field SMELLED.
2. How quickly it turned from charred ashes, to bright, flourishing, Green re-growth in such a short time.
3. How Appreciative the Volunteer Firemen were,,,, Of the 3 Gallons of Wine which Grandpa Tavino broke out, when the work was Done.!!!!:o:):P

a simpler time,
Glad to have experienced it...:)
jimmy

Or having to go outside and pick your own switch to get whipped with. I always came back with branches the first time, but grandma made me go back and get the thin, whippy ones.

Remember when the big tanker truck would drive slowly through the neighborhood spraying for mosquitos, and all the kids would ride their bikes in the clouds of insecticide ? It's a wonder we all aren't brain-damaged.

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

How about parents telling kids to get out of the house instead of locking them up inside the house!! I remember leaving the house as soon as breakfast was done and not coming back in till mom yelled out the front door for me to come in for dinner!!
Wait , I pull what first?

Or having to go outside and pick your own switch to get whipped with. I always came back with branches the first time, but grandma made me go back and get the thin, whippy ones.

Remember when the big tanker truck would drive slowly through the neighborhood spraying for mosquitos, and all the kids would ride their bikes in the clouds of insecticide ? It's a wonder we all aren't brain-damaged.

Don

:D ...or bring a vial of mercury to school and play with it all day. Coat some coins. Pass a little around to all your friends. Then at the end of the day, after we got bored with it, just let it roll around in your palm and then slap it with the other hand and scatter it all over the place. Never did (twitch ...twitchitty-twitch) us any (twitch) harm!

If we got any "licks" at school the last thing we wanted was for our parents to find out about it. Not only did they not threaten a lawsuit they would add more welts on top of the ones we got at school.

Also, remember when we could leave the house in the morning and just be expected to be home by dark. No worries. I'm sure there was the occasional drowning or abduction but they didn't make a big media deal about it.

Sparky

"Yes" to all of the above.

Is this the Old Farts' Club or something?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

if i went home and told my mom MR Smith slapped me she would beat my ass and then ask why MR. Smith needed to slap me!!!. For me time to come in was the street lights, when they came on i better be home in minutes or I got reminded of what time i was supposed to come home!!
Wait , I pull what first?

OMG we did that! except not on bikes, we just ran after the truck.

some of my favorite stupid kid tricks were playing in the sewers and swinging over deep ravines on vines like tarzan. good times. : ) i love the look on my mothers face when my sister and i tell her about some of that shit.

We had a ravine at the end of our street with cool stuff like paths on the edge and vines to swing from, too. When we moved to that house, our mother told us never to go there. And never to tell her about it when we did :ph34r:

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Steel roller skates and a skate key; a quarter for 2 pieces of pizza and a soda; 65 cent cigarette machines; penny Bazooka gum; playing jacks, spinning tops, hop scotch, and skelley with bottle tops filled with tar; steel cans of soda; really cool Cracker Jack prizes; black and white TV; airliners with propellers; and no warning labels on products. [:/]

We had a ravine at the end of our street with cool stuff like paths on the edge and vines to swing from, too. When we moved to that house, our mother told us never to go there. And never to tell her about it when we did :ph34r:

Wendy P.

There was a ravine near the river that was a trash dump in the 1800's, we would dig through it for old bottles then sell 'em to the antique dealer in town for a nickel per...5 bottles = a milkshake at Woolworth's! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Don

:D ...or bring a vial of mercury to school and play with it all day. Coat some coins. Pass a little around to all your friends. Then at the end of the day, after we got bored with it, just let it roll around in your palm and then slap it with the other hand and scatter it all over the place. Never did (twitch ...twitchitty-twitch) us any (twitch) harm!

If we got any "licks" at school the last thing we wanted was for our parents to find out about it. Not only did they not threaten a lawsuit they would add more welts on top of the ones we got at school.

Also, remember when we could leave the house in the morning and just be expected to be home by dark. No worries. I'm sure there was the occasional drowning or abduction but they didn't make a big media deal about it.

My dad and I use to go shooting every weekend, there was a small closed off, unventilated room in the basement with a gas stove where we would cast bullets a couple days a week...when the molds would get too hot I'd let them cool off by resting them an asbestos pad.

Lead fumes & asbestos ~ Yummy! B|

Doesn't seem to have have have have have done me any harm...:)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

[quote

My dad and I use to go shooting every weekend, there was a small closed off, unventilated room in the basement with a gas stove where we would cast bullets a couple days a week...when the molds would get too hot I'd let them cool off by resting them an asbestos pad.

Lead fumes & asbestos ~ Yummy! B|

Doesn't seem to have have have have have done me any harm...:)

My dad used to load his own ammo, too. My sibs and I used to play with molten lead on a regular basis. All of which was unsupervised, too! :o Soldiers, bullets, toy cars, etc... None of us got hurt either, beyond a minor drip of lead on a finger which we just shook off. :)

I do remember a neighbor kid getting a pretty nasty burn from an Easy Bake Oven. Those light bulbs were pretty unforgiving :P

edit to add: Every time we would stop for gas, one of us would be tasked with the job of getting out and scouring the gas station for lead tire weights that had fallen off vehicles. The reward was first melting rights.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

PLFKING

Or having to go outside and pick your own switch to get whipped with.

Boy do I remember that. On one occasion I had a great idea. I went over a couple of fences and ended up at my buddy’s house playing in the crawl space under the house. A few hours later I returned home the conquering hero. Not.

muff528

If we got any "licks" at school the last thing we wanted was for our parents to find out about it.

In about the 6th grade I got in a little trouble and they called my Dad at work to come pick me up. (He was a single parent) He walked into the Principal office, looked at me and said get in the car we’ll talk later. As I was scurrying out of the Ad Min. building I could hear him laying into the Principal. Something about if you have a problem with Michael handle it. I don’t have time to leave work, come up here and do your job. To say the least that was one of those interesting evenings spent at home that you will always remember.

VideoFly

65 cent cigarette machines; playing jacks, spinning tops, hop scotch,

You young pup, I remember when they were $24 and the pack came with a book of matches and a penny taped to the pack.

We would play war with tops but jacks and hop scotch was for girls and sissies. :P

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals