npgraphicdesign

Big giant BOOBIES!

Ok, now that I have everyone's attention...:P:ph34r::D:D:D:D:D:D

If you were to get a dog, would you...
a. pay thousands of dollars to a breeder and get a purebred
or
b. get one from the shelter/pound

I really want a bull terrier, and if I can't find one in a shelter or a pound somewhere, I might just go directly to a breeder...but I'd much rather save a dog from the shelter. Or should I just stop being snobby and get a dog that'll still be a great companion, just not necessarily the breed I want? :S

I always wanted an English Bulldog (pygamy hippo)and that's what I got.
I'm probably in the minority but I prefer to pay for the breed I want.
No matter how slowly you say oranges it never sounds like gullible.
Believe me I tried.

I dont think that you can go wrong either way. I have always wanted a english bulldog as well and got one from a breeder I have also gotten dogs from the shelter. Both fantastic dogs. Just be careful of puppy mills and make sure you go with a good breeder if you go that route. Rescues can be a great way to go if you can bring yourself to wait.

Not necessarily true of the pit bull terrier, but there are some breeds that have serious in-built health problems. If you're interested in a dog that has these (e.g. most have to be born via Caesarian, or hip dysplasia is common, or they can't fly because they've been bread not to breathe easily), then I honestly think you should seriously consider a hybrid.

A dog that can actually be born normally, and that can't automatically expect health problems that will cause it pain, is a good thing.

A German Shepherd, for example, is a fabulous dog. But the standard for "beauty" includes the most appalling sloping back end that pretty much guarantees hip problems. Just don't go there.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

shelter for sure. and for the record, if you go with a breeder, it's not snobby. but i would consider looking for a bull terrier rescue. and if you do go with a breeder, like has already been said, make sure it's not a puppy mill. good luck.

promise5

When I got Roxy, there wasn't a rescue around not even sure if there is one now in Alaska.

I thought you were just visiting there;
Did you permanently move?
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

promise5

My family lives there and that's where I lived when I got Roxy. Yes, visiting but considering a move back.
Road trip me and my dog !

Well, if you are living in Alaska, then you need one of these breeds: http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/sleddogs.htm
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I found my dog on the side of the road in Alabama, he was white tongued, covered in fleas and ticks so bad i had to pull them from between his toes etc

Wasn't sure he'd make it the little bastard. Either way I have no idea what he is but hes big, bigger than my house mates pit.

Best dog I have ever owned, he has never wore a lead and simply follows me when hes not running around 55 acres of private property. Chasing birds, points his leg in the pond hunting fish...hes so fucking smart.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

ryoder

***My family lives there and that's where I lived when I got Roxy. Yes, visiting but considering a move back.
Road trip me and my dog !

Well, if you are living in Alaska, then you need one of these breeds: http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/sleddogs.htm

lol lol I did live there a few years before I moved and NO i don't need one of those dogs! lol very happy with my Roxy. Even if she does refuse to walk more then 10 feet at a time, unless its to her food bowl or I tell her we're going to Dunkin Donuts, and she snores and has the worse gas I have every known a dog to have! But,love her all the same!
Believe me I tried.

promise5

I always wanted an English Bulldog (pygamy hippo)and that's what I got.
I'm probably in the minority but I prefer to pay for the breed I want.

I had a bulldog as a kid, but I'd go with a rescue animal now. My daughter has a rescue cat, very handsome and seems to be grateful. Too many great pets just waiting to be adopted for me to demand a certain breed. Besides, mutts are very often great dogs.

:)

Andy_Copland

Best dog I have ever owned, he has never wore a lead and simply follows me when hes not running around 55 acres of private property. Chasing birds, points his leg in the pond hunting fish...hes so fucking smart.

Dogs seem to have good memories and certainly show gratitude. You've got a loyal friend for Life. B|

Andy_Copland

I found my dog on the side of the road in Alabama, he was white tongued, covered in fleas and ticks so bad i had to pull them from between his toes etc

Wasn't sure he'd make it the little bastard. Either way I have no idea what he is but hes big, bigger than my house mates pit.

My girl might not have brains but she's beautiful.
Believe me I tried.

there are reasons for both, I got mine from a breeder. I wanted a small dog, and this allowed me to not only pick a small breed. But meet the pup's parents so I knew exactly what they'd grow up to be.. WIth that said i didn't spend thousands either.. just a couple hundred $$$

Any reason you want that particular breed?
Although I'm not quite sure what you mean by "bull terrier."

I would very strongly suggest adopting from a shelter.

Second choice would be a rescue group. Most breeds have them.

A good shelter or rescue will provide a well behaved, well trained dog.

Breeders, not so much and puppy mills...

Well, I hope they have a special place in hell reserved for them.

If you are willing to be a little more flexible on the breed, then you can focus on finding a dog that's compatible with you.
Dogs have a lot of personality. Every dog that I've ever known is a different "person." Even within the same breed. There are breed traits, but personality rules.

And the best way to find out a dog's personality is to spend time with it.

And the best way to spend time with a lot of different dogs is to volunteer at a local shelter.
Really.

Most shelters need volunteers and are willing to train you for what you want to do.

It will give you a better idea of what you want in a dog and make you a much, much better dog owner.

And if you are thinking "I don't have enough time to volunteer at a shelter," then you won't have enough time to be a dog owner.

If you are thinking "I don't want to (insert unpleasant dog care task here)," then you shouldn't have a dog in the first place.

Besides, although many of them are married or otherwise taken, the ratio of men to women volunteers is pretty favorable to the guys. ;)

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo