ntrprnr

You know who need to shut the fuck up?

BillyVance

*** Spending over $1300 a month in daycare alone really shuts down a lot of things.

Holy hell! That much?!? :o We've used the first baptist church day care in the next town that has a reputation for being an outstanding day care, but our costs were nowhere near that much.

I think that's the "Holy Hell, Fire, Damnation & Brimstone Academy" isn't it? :)
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

BIGUN

****** Spending over $1300 a month in daycare alone really shuts down a lot of things.

Holy hell! That much?!? :o We've used the first baptist church day care in the next town that has a reputation for being an outstanding day care, but our costs were nowhere near that much.

I think that's the "Holy Hell, Fire, Damnation & Brimstone Academy" isn't it? :)
That sounds like a catholic school name. :ph34r:
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I am long out of the sport but obviously I can't leave it entirely if I am still lurking DZ.com.

However, I think there is some validity to these types of questions.

I now have a 13 month old ankle-biter and because of him I will never - ever do sky-jumpees again. Yeah, it is a SOMEWHAT safe endeavor but let's get real, people fuck up (even us perfect people), planes crash, idiots frequent DZs, etc etc. I would never take the chance of leaving my son fatherless for my own selfish need for swooping. There is no denying that one's participation in this sport drastically increases your chance of early death.

I really don't want the last few seconds of my life to be spent in agonizing mental regret imagining my wife trying to explain to my son why he'll never see daddy again.

Your mileage may vary, feel free to flame away.

Not flaming at all - It's your opinion, and you're certainly entitled to it.

My question is this, though - How do you tell your kid that he or she can do anything they want, live their life in a way that makes them the best person in the world, and happiest, if you're not doing that yourself? Skydiving is one of the things that makes me a better person - Denying that to myself goes in direct violation of what I'm trying to teach my child...

Thoughts?

As parents, there are many lessons we may choose to teach our children. Perhaps one of them is, when we are responsible for others, ours are not the only wants and desires that count.

eta: There is no right or wrong way, or the ultimate lesson to teach our kids. Each parent has to decide that for themselves. Sometimes, we even teach our kids things we didn't mean to.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

ntrprnr

My question is this, though - How do you tell your kid that he or she can do anything they want, live their life in a way that makes them the best person in the world, and happiest, if you're not doing that yourself? Skydiving is one of the things that makes me a better person - Denying that to myself goes in direct violation of what I'm trying to teach my child...

Thoughts?

Wellll... it sort of sounds like you would message "do whatever you want, consequences and responsibilities be damned".

Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to say you mean "yeah go rape and pillage if it makes you happy"....

For me, as a parent, I believe that my main duty in life is now to make sure that the kid is raised in a stable nurturing environment. That means that certain things I might really want to do (such as go to the DZ and do hop n pops all day long with my Velocity) are just simply no longer an option if it makes it less likely I'll be able to see that duty all the way through.

You can't take it to extremes, its not like I am saying I should spend every waking minute plotting/planning/thinking about my kid - everyone needs their own space - but to me parenthood means some of the big-ticket wants simply need to be forgotten or at least put on hold.

edited to add: I think I started thinking this way LONG before I was even married, when I went to the memorial service of someone who left behind young children. Before I had a kid my empathy tank was pretty much empty, but even back then, the thought of these kids growing up minus a parent was pretty scary for me. I always wonder, "What will they think of that parent in the long run?"

BIGUN

****** Spending over $1300 a month in daycare alone really shuts down a lot of things.

3yr old and an 18mo old and it's not the most expensive place in town (it is one of the best places in town, though). It's still a lot cheaper than in places like Houston or Austin, where we would be spending closer to $2,000 a month!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."