iluvtofly

Fundraiser for Andy Copland!

I'm not out to badmouth him. And it doesn't mean I don't care about the guy. I like him.

I just think it's pretty fucked up to spend money on jumping instead of insurance. And it can simply nnot be "obliviousness to the risk" that explains it.

I care about him and it bothers me to see this happen - again. And it bothers me that it is often the case that jumpers are uninsured.[:/]

Just to point out that working jumps do not cost money, rather they earn you money;) so he wasn't "spending" money on jumps.

Anyway as Cyndi requested there is another thread for that and this is a well intentioned thread that she started for those who'd like to help.

I'm happy to start a thread in safety and training as to whether AFF instructors and videiots should jump conservative canopies.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Here is an update from Andy's fiance for those who actually care and aren't here simply to badmouth a fellow skydiver who is also a nice guy:

Hello everyone! Andy Copland is doing really well!! He has had three surgeries and will probably have to have at least one more. Big thank you to everyone for all of your support through this! Andy has been intubated since Sunday, but they are slowly taking him off of sedation. He is starting to wake up and he looks absolutely amazing!! Thank you to all of our amazing friends for the fundraiser and all of your help and support through this! It means SO much to us!!

If you're in this thread simply to bad mouth my friend, please do so elsewhere. This thread is intended to raise funds and support for someone in need.

+1.>:(

R.
One Jump Wonder

I don't know the guy personally, but Velo 84 @1,100 is a commitment. Unless, and as previously stated, he weighs in at 50 lbs. Also, at 300 base jumps, I think he would be a well-known entity in the base community. Never came across his name though.

Sorry, medical bankruptcy still appears the best use of donation $$. For even if you collect $5k, he'll use that up (and more) for just one day in the hospital.

FWIW:

His profile (which may or may not be fully up to date) says Velo 84 and 1100 jumps (+ 300 BASE), wing loading unknown.

Getting canopy collapses is a bit more unusual than just plain flying into the ground...

Of course, I am utterly devastated that you could agree w/ anything I write. On second thought, I suggested handing over the proceeds to a bankruptcy lawyer.

No wonder we are on the same page. :)

I agree. I hesitated to be the first to put it out there, but I think is the second time in 8 weeks that he's frapped in. He got all busted a few years ago on a base jump, too. Each time he's been uninsured, and I find it somewhat irritating that a fundraiser is being put out there to pay his medical bills. I view it more as a fundraiser as a way of paying for his jumps.

He's a good guy and interpersonally I like him a lot. But the sport warned him twice already and the message of "cover thy ass and get thee coverage" went unheeded. He played with fire again.

If one can afford to skydive one can afford insurance. This sport is as expensive as it is dangerous and a fundraiser for just strikes strikes me as some hardcore enabling.

Ok, everyone...let's get this thread back on track.

Andy's history on these forums and in the sport is out in the open. If you still want to contribute, feel free to do so. If you don't want to, then don't. If you want to keep discussing the issues as to whether you should contribute to an uninsured jumper or not, then do it in this thread started by Normiss.

Be safe out there. :)

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Sorry, medical bankruptcy still appears the best use of donation $$. For even if you collect $5k, he'll use that up (and more) for just one day in the hospital.

Pragmatic advice, and certainly correct. It does piss me off, though, that the most pragmatic course of action is "shit on the doctors and nurses who saved your sorry ass", and "pass the bill on to the suckers who did pay for insurance".

Don

It does piss me off, though, that the most pragmatic course of action is "shit on the doctors and nurses who saved your sorry ass", and "pass the bill on to the suckers who did pay for insurance".

Even more so when when done repeatedly. Like here.

>So he ends up having two canopy collapses, severe enough to land him in the
>hospital in the course of one month?

Yep. Something very similar happened to me about 20 years ago; I landed near the treeline on a windy day, my canopy collapsed and I fell the last 20 feet. Fortunately I was on a PD-190 and not a tiny canopy so I got away with a broken foot and a screwed up knee.

I learned a lot from that incident. I hope he learns from his, and recovers to jump again.

Copeland is very well known in the BASE community, not just local, but international as well. Maybe you havent been around enough. He has also helped no less than 5 people get into BASE most of whom are now pretty talented jumpers.

I fully understand the jumping without health insurance argument and personally I am on the fence about it. I will however say that Andy has given A LOT back to the skydiving in BASE communities that can't be counted monetarily. If it wasnt for Andy I wouldnt be living the life I do today, and I have to say it's fucking awesome so i am very thankful.

Andy has never shied away or even hesitated to help out another jumper when in need. In fact he is usually the first person to volunteer to help someone else.
Fiend

I am about to take my last voyage, a great leap in the dark. - Thomas Hobbes.

FWIW:

His profile (which may or may not be fully up to date) says Velo 84 and 1100 jumps (+ 300 BASE), wing loading unknown.

Well - its Andy we are talking about.

So that's about - hmm - carry the one, add the four . . . about 1.2 to 1.:ph34r:
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Here is an update from Andy's fiance for those who actually care and aren't here simply to badmouth a fellow skydiver who is also a nice guy:

Hello everyone! Andy Copland is doing really well!! He has had three surgeries and will probably have to have at least one more. Big thank you to everyone for all of your support through this! Andy has been intubated since Sunday, but they are slowly taking him off of sedation. He is starting to wake up and he looks absolutely amazing!! Thank you to all of our amazing friends for the fundraiser and all of your help and support through this! It means SO much to us!!

If you're in this thread simply to bad mouth my friend, please do so elsewhere. This thread is intended to raise funds and support for someone in need.

+1.>:(

R.

Don't make me pour beer on your feet.>:(
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

Ok, everyone...let's get this thread back on track.

Andy's history on these forums and in the sport is out in the open. If you still want to contribute, feel free to do so. If you don't want to, then don't. If you want to keep discussing the issues as to whether you should contribute to an uninsured jumper or not, then do it in this thread started by Normiss.

Be safe out there. :)

Please make me pour beer on your feet.:)

>How can you ask for money ....nothing in the Incidents Forum,,,WTF ?

Not all incidents are in the incident forum. He definitely had a pretty serious injury though. If you want to contribute money this thread tells you how; if not feel free to ignore it.

As I said...he doesn't spend money on jumping. He only ever does work jumps.

Then he should spend some of the money he makes "working" on insurance. 1099 Contractors, which the VAST majority of full-time jumpers (like me) are, ought to be smart enough to get coverage to cover such tragedies. It is a BUSINESS EXPENSE. Skydiving is DANGEROUS and people making a living off of this sport ought to be prepared for inevitable injuries. It's definitely not my job as a taxpayer to foot the bill for anyone other than myself. Claiming indigency (sic?) raises EVERYONE's costs.

I hope Andy recovers fully; he's a nice guy. But, I totally agree that the money would be best spent getting a lawyer and filing for medical bankruptcy and THEN making damn sure he's covered, somehow, before he busts himself up again. Seriously. Any money that is collected in this "fund raiser" will be but a drop in the bucket to the hospital bills he's going to pile up. Are any of the bills from the previous incident payed off yet?

Chuck
-a full-time skydiver with full health coverage

Andy you friggin' pikey!

I sent you a PM the other day as I'd heard you were busted up. I guess I now know why you haven't replied.

Heal up quick. You have more people to piss off, you're work is not done yet.

PS - I still blame you for the points I got on my driving licence so rather than make a donation I'm sending you a bill for £60 ;)

FWIW:

Well - its Andy we are talking about.

So that's about - hmm - carry the one, add the four . . . about 1.2 to 1.:ph34r:

That's Andy right enough mate addition was never his strong point :D seen the pic on Facebook I thought it was from his base accident some time ago. Andy is a nice guy I have drunk with him and jumped with him when he was in the UK, he does like to wind people up will send something when I get home from work tonight. Hope he recovers ok[:/]

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

You daft twat Andy - get well or I'm bringing Scoop and Billy over (yeah I need back up) to kick your pikey arse.

Guys... Andy is a good bloke and will laugh his tit off at the badmouthing, I'm sure. We can all have a pop at him when he's ready ... but in the mean time Wish him well or leave him alone.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

word on the street is, andy has a pretty bad addiction to painkillers and does this just for the kicks - chill out people, it all works well in andys evil masterplan! :P

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

still alive and kicking - just cant stand the asshats around here anymore, only occasional popping in, read two threads, shake head, go do something more productive.. :)
you!?

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Took me a while to find this, I got bored stirring the place up. But let's see.. First thing first Nigel should have took that bet because it was a black and yellow storm 170. Just because I was jumping it it doesn't mean it was mine or smallest I had jumped. It's not unusual to see me jump larger canopies now and then even if I own smaller.

I was exchanging emails, working out finances and creating a plan with billing hence I'm still in the hospital being treated. I didn't ask for this and thank my extended family who have helped and been so kind to me. Payment plans have been worked out and expenses were being paid without the help. That said, I should have had some insurance, I'm not going to argue and defend every decision I make. No insurance and its hurt me

I'm sorry this thread turned into this but thankfully there is a place called real life that I live in that holds some of the most cherished people I care about so don't hold your breath for an argument guys.

I am not changing who I am, I have given everything to this sport and the people in it. This was NOT a low turn but a straight in on my 84 loaded at 1.9 and I have probably a couple of hundred more jumps than listed. The canopy is being inspected by PD as it was new to me and has been acting strangely for about a month.

Friends, thank you from the bottom of my heart, I can't tell you what it has meant. Everyone else can jog.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.