wmw999

Help Rico -- Fundraiser for Spaceland Jumper

After talking with the moderators, I've re-posted this under my userid so that it conforms with the dropzone.com rules on posting solicitation threads. It's most definitely from a skydiving-related incident, and it's skydivers who are still involved. I can PM you an address on request if you are interested in giving and don't do PayPal.

Rico's wheelchair van is just about dead, and his family needs a new one. Rico was a popular freefall videoman in Houston who was left a high quad in a landing accident several years ago. Here is a link to the original incident thread. He and his family have been struggling to support him every since. Needless to say, insurance ran out years ago. I'm re-posting an e-mail from an upstanding guy who goes above and beyond the call of duty to help Rico and his family out. Any and all support would be much appreciated.

Subject: RICO and Angie need a new van!

Everyone,

Rico and Angie have a 2000 Pontiac van that was donated to them by friends from their church a few years ago. This model has a history of heads warping resulting in total engine failure. It's been in the shop several times this past year with overheating and variety of other problems. I have paid for all repairs since they can not afford it.

My friend's family has owned an auto repair shop for over 30 years and he has seen this problem before. He has run a sealing solution through the engine on two occasions with some success, but the engine has already shown signs of overheating again. Eventually, the engine will overheat and will be beyond repair. With summer coming in Houston, it's dangerous for Rico to go out in the van because of the possibility of getting stranded and overheating.

The van is living on borrowed time and I am researching modified wheelchair access vans. Our good friend Shari has set up a PayPal account for donations. Wendy and Leah have helped locate some vans already.

We are selecting a full-size FORD E-series van as a base because of its durability, reliability and safety. The current van is a Dodge, so we're really not interested in another Dodge.

A used modified van, fairly new, low mileage will go for $25,000 to $35,000. We need a wheelchair transport van with enough seating for their children as well as the tiedowns for Rico's chair. We've located (and lost) one already, and are hot on the tracks of another.

Please donate whatever you can, large or small. All is appreciated and much needed.

Please go to www.PayPal.com, click "transfer", and enter [email protected]

Thanks all for your help,
Michael Blanton

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

We have a used car dealership and have access to the auctions. I can set my guy on looking for a suitable van. We can sell it for cost to them if that would help. Solid be able to save them 4-5k over market value.

Our office line is 801-225-0077 ask for me John Olson if they would like my help. Thing is if we find and buy a van they need to be ready to move on it right away as I can't risk getting stuck with a van that doesn't meet our market.

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

Thanks -- I really appreciate that. I sent your email along to our primary coordinator.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Oops -- thanks

And for anyone who doesn't do PayPal, feel free to PM me, and I'll PM you an address to send a check to. As far as I know we don't have the capability to do credit cards, but I'll find out.

Wendy

If they have a Paypal account the can get Paypal here and get the card reader for free. You don't have to swipe the card you can input as well. And an update we are working with Michael in trying to find Rico and his family the best van for the buck. Hopefully we will have something before the end of the week. This doesn't mean the fundraising is over it means they need it even more. There are so very far away from what they need but they are trying to make it happen by any means nesseccary as they need transportation like yesterday. At least that's what I take from our conversation. If you all just donate your beer money for a month they should have all the money they need and you all might just find your happier without it :)

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

Thanks, John. Have our eyes on one right now that we're expecting to hear back about on Monday.

And we're still taking donations...

Wendy P.

Well, we think we've found a suitable van at a suitable price -- and we're still emphatically taking donations! We're about 1/2 way to our goal

thanks
Wendy P.