Nataly

Circumstances vs life choices...

Nataly

two things: one, people who do have kids chose to have kids

Um, not always. Lots of women get pregnant while on birth control - it's not a sure-fire guarantee. And if you're talking about abortion, they should not be faulted for choosing not to abort. So sometimes you end up with children, even though you didn't intend to, and because you did the right thing by stepping up to take responsibility by not aborting them.

Birth control effectiveness: http://www.plannedparenthood.org/...ness-chart-22710.htm

Nataly

I was having a very interesting conversation with someone about the economical crisis and unemployment, et cetera. However, one thing he said really hit a raw nerve... "Not everyone is educated, single, childless and mobile like you are." Oh *really*??? Isn't that because they *chose* to get married, have kids and stay put???

I wasn't there so I don't know what kind of tone the comment was made in. But in the context of a debate about the economy and unemployment, he could have been simply pointing out that you have more freedom of choice than others. That would not necessarily be a criticism of your lifestyle, just simply pointing out that people who are married with kids are more tied down than you are, and may not have the same freedom of choices. And to take the opposite of your argument - therefore you should not judge their situation based upon your own perspective. It's not about labeling each other good or bad - just pointing out the differences.

Festus

***I was having a very interesting conversation with someone about the economical crisis and unemployment, et cetera. However, one thing he said really hit a raw nerve... "Not everyone is educated, single, childless and mobile like you are." Oh *really*??? Isn't that because they *chose* to get married, have kids and stay put???

I wasn't there so I don't know what kind of tone the comment was made in. But in the context of a debate about the economy and unemployment, he could have been simply pointing out that you have more freedom of choice than others. That would not necessarily be a criticism of your lifestyle, just simply pointing out that people who are married with kids are more tied down than you are, and may not have the same freedom of choices. And to take the opposite of your argument - therefore you should not judge their situation based upon your own perspective. It's not about labeling each other good or bad - just pointing out the differences.

I think you must have skim-read this thread and then posted that. Which is fine. Just that it's a great technique for missing the point.
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Geez, Nataly - tell us how you really feel! B|:S:D

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."