SarahC07

Why do you jump?

I may be posting this just because it's Friday and I don't feel like going out.

Or I may be asking because I just recently listed my 1998 Vector II container for sale in the classifieds here... and before that I hadn't logged onto this website in years.

Either way, as I was taking pictures of my container to post, I started reminiscing over all of the good times and great friends I made when I was active in the sport (like a million years ago). I even started wondering if I'd enjoy jumping again.

I've changed so much over the years (yeah, I grew up :P) and would likely approach the sport a bit differently, with a different mindset.

So, at the risk of sounding lame, I'd like to ask you all why you are currently jumping or why you are currently not jumping?

(I doubt anyone here remembers me... but it's good to see a few familiar names still posting. :)

I'm not sure if I ever replied to any of your posts or you to mine but I remember you :)
I am currently not jumping to save for two new KTM's for me and my kid *(don't anyone tell him-he doesn't know) :P and I am so looking forward to walking in, arguing over the price then paying in cash - don't ask me why this makes me want to giggle but it does...lol

my gear is in the closet for when I do decide to pick up the sport again since I am sure the bug will strike again:)

reminiscing... oh man, that's a bittersweet thing to do - all the great times, people and places.

Roy

They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

Not jumping because of economy had to sell everything I loved, rig, car, even a few of my guitars, but I am making a comeback so goal is to be back jumping again in 2-3 months.

The reason I jump is Adrenalin and nothing else matters…..
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Still jumping & coming up on 39 consecutive years having never taking a major layoff...never taken one by 'choice'.

Over that time in the sport there have been some differing motivations behind why I do it...these days I find it refreshing & relaxing to be able to get away from the 'real world' for a few hours and spend some time with people I have a common bond with.

I like doing something that takes 100% attention and gives me a clear perspective regarding my priorities.

Stepping back - I think I do it because I love the sport in general, I love the people that do it and the friends I have made through it.

It's something that I can challenge myself with...I don't now nor have I ever seen myself not a part of the sport.

I think it's become a part of me and I probably would NOT be 'me'...or at least wouldn't be a happy me, without that part - if that makes any sense. :);)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I think it's become a part of me and I probably would NOT be 'me'...or at least wouldn't be a happy me, without that part - if that makes any sense.

I get that. So many days I'm tempted to go do a hop and pop... what's the worst that could happen? [:/]

skybytch

I think it's become a part of me and I probably would NOT be 'me'...or at least wouldn't be a happy me, without that part - if that makes any sense.

I get that. So many days I'm tempted to go do a hop and pop... what's the worst that could happen? [:/]

I don't know what YOUR situation is...

But 25 years ago I had to have major back surgery, I had to lay off for almost a year. It about drove me nuts & going to the DZ to 'hang out' only made it worse.

It did give me motivation to work hard at the rehab...knowing I would get back in the air 'sometime in October' was the light at the end I kept focused on...kept me sane!;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

SarahC07

(I doubt anyone here remembers me... but it's good to see a few familiar names still posting. :)

Hey good look'n, I remember who you are!:P

Having just recently sold my gear last year and Morgan selling her gear, I get it. It sucks. For me I knew that my gear would be holistically inappropriate to jump when I come back, so it was a moot point. Or I could be *that* guy in Incidents if I had.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I remember you. I did quit, and then start again. I kept my old gear, and jumped it until the right deal jumped up and down in front of me (and it was a good deal).

But I jump because it's a part of me. Can't think of a better way to put it. I was happy not jumping, and could see myself not jumping any more, but it'll always be a part of me. I can remember wanting to jump at 12-13, I started, knew I wanted to keep doing it, etc.

I'm definitely jumping less than I did, but enough to stay reasonably current. If you quit and decide to start again, it'll still be there.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

...because it offers a fleeting disassociation,
(Literally AND Figuratively ) ;)B|
from this CRAZY :S planet on which we live.

the sense of "in the moment " is never quite as strong as when we are experiencing
those few minutes, during which we ARE actually skydiving....

Plus i love the fact that it is a sport that Men and Women can Share equally
and with no bias toward one or the other...

:)jmy

I fly airplanes for a living and like to hop out of one every now and then. I don't care for relative work and don't go to the DZ for any social reasons but the people are indeed great. I suppose if I could fly myself to altitude then jump that would be fine. I own a single seat airplane and consider the operation of it and jumping to be merely different means of exploring the sky while enjoying the technical aspects of both pieces of equipment...

The laughter, the friendships, the feeling of exhilaration when I a jump goes as it was dirt dived, the freedom, the breath I take at the door before exit... I can go on and on. Beer always tastes better on the dz than anywhere else in thie world:)

Hi Jim,
Funny you should mention that,"Beer always tastes better on the DZ than anywhere else in the world!!" I concur.
As to,"Why Jump?" To the person who has never.....I can only say if I have to explain it, you would never understand.
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out