Krip

Facebook

Question:

Does everyone have to/ need to sign up for facebook.?

Is resistance futile?

What are the adantages and disadvantages of facebook.

I'm not a techie but it looks like facebook is becoming a gate keeper to certain info. Reminds me of USPA, another mononoply:ph34r:
One Jump Wonder

Yeah I hear ya Krip...I was a long time hold out too.

I joined a couple years ago because it was the 'only' communication offered regarding my HS reunion.

It has it's advantages...and the diversity is nice.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

airtwardo

It has it's advantages...and the diversity is nice.

A lot of us keep up with each other on FB and there are some fun skydiving groups on it. Although some of us just use FB to photobomb our friends with pictures of our kids.:D
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

AggieDave

***It has it's advantages...and the diversity is nice.

A lot of us keep up with each other on FB and there are some fun skydiving groups on it. Although some of us just use FB to photobomb our friends with pictures of our kids.:D

Oh really??:)

Do you have any kids Dave?? :o

Gee...it would be great to see some PICTURES! :P:ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

airtwardo

******It has it's advantages...and the diversity is nice.

Oh really??:)

Do you have any kids Dave?? :o

Gee...it would be great to see some PICTURES! :P:ph34r:

I'll have to post a couple (hundred) photos to your wall...

:D:D
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

promise5

Don't do it!!!!!!!
I've held out and you can too!!!
Resist the temptation,once they suck you in your a goner!!:P:P:P

You're a Facebook virgin???:o
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

promise5

lol I don't think so, I had facebook but deleted it, to much drama and fighting and that was just family:S:S

You do know you are supposed to have *two* accounts, right?
- The decoy account for family.
- The real account for friends.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

If you're still mulling over signing up now, just forget about it. It's popularity is waning, especially with younger generations. The only thing I really use it for now is easy login on other sites that have a "login using facebook" feature, such as commenting on news sites or whatever. Really the only reason I don't just delete my FB outright.
Skydiving is serious business

My kids are still teens and the best way to find out things about their friends is to become friends with them! I should add that I never request them, they always friend request me! Once they do then I can view their photos and BAM! I am given the details of their life!

Tried it, got the low down from a mate, deleted it.

A good mate of mine made some spurious comments on a subject so I
phoned him and basically said WTF, his reply was "it's Facebook it's not real"
Three minutes later it was deleted.

What a waste of cyberspace.

Gone fishing

Agreed...

I had no knowledge of Facebook prior to early '09.
A DZO we joined as Staff for the upcoming season, suggested we join to 'meet' & stay in communication with a number of national / international collegues, co-Staff.

Since, we have the the ability to share with some very good people we've had the good fortune to have met along the way in skydiving...{ B|e.g. Jim & Faith :)
I'm able to keep up with the life & times of those in my main stream family & friends we may not see much any longer...we'd otherwise not have exposure in each others days !

It's also been beneficial professionally, with the ability to set up a "page" at no cost, eliminating our need & costs for a pro website: I Guana Skydive ;)

As we are now in the sticks, it is one of my main outlets for staying in touch & share visuals of our life with those I chose to.

I also agree it does have its negatives, but am glad it offers many options (i.e. block, settings, delete comments, content, friends, & ability to determine what is shared, commented, etc. & amount of time we lock on &/ or obsess).

Overall I'm glad it exists !

* Hubby had some stalking issues from an "ex", & found he can't delete his account, however he could deactivate ;)

AggieDave

***It has it's advantages...and the diversity is nice.

I'd rather see pictures of kids and pets than the mindless political drivel (left and right) that some people post on a daily basis.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

******It has it's advantages...and the diversity is nice.

I'd rather see pictures of kids and pets than the mindless political drivel (left and right) that some people post on a daily basis.

About FB in that regard is the mindless reposting of material from years ago which may have been debunked, but continues to circulate. AND there's simply no slowing it down other than defriending somebody, which is fine if it's a cousin twice removed, but nearly impossible if it's people you actually do still kinda wanna stay in touch with.

Simply silly.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

cjsgrlsx3

My kids are still teens and the best way to find out things about their friends is to become friends with them! I should add that I never request them, they always friend request me! Once they do then I can view their photos and BAM! I am given the details of their life!

It would be trivially easy for one of your kids' friends to post a picture of him and your kids eating cake and ice cream at a party for you to see and a picture of everyone enjoying hookers and blow at the same party for everyone else to see.

If you are using FB as a way to see what your kids and their friends are up to, realize that you'll see exactly what they want you to see.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

jcd11235

***My kids are still teens and the best way to find out things about their friends is to become friends with them! I should add that I never request them, they always friend request me! Once they do then I can view their photos and BAM! I am given the details of their life!

It would be trivially easy for one of your kids' friends to post a picture of him and your kids eating cake and ice cream at a party for you to see and a picture of everyone enjoying hookers and blow at the same party for everyone else to see.

If you are using FB as a way to see what your kids and their friends are up to, realize that you'll see exactly what they want you to see.

Unless...you're friends with their stupid friends who have no concern for their own privacy settings, let alone their friends'. In which case, what happens in Vegas may not in fact stay in Vegas.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Krip

Question:

Does everyone have to/ need to sign up for facebook.?

Is resistance futile?

What are the adantages and disadvantages of facebook.

I'm not a techie but it looks like facebook is becoming a gate keeper to certain info. Reminds me of USPA, another mononoply:ph34r:

The problem is a lot of things these days develop and organize solely on places like FB.

People who "holdout" end up losing out on chances to hang out with their friends who just don't think to CALL you on the phone to invite you to something 100 others are invited to on FB.

You can keep your profile empty and not upload pictures etc, not post crazy political shit, or your sexts to your GF, and still be able to gain access to the party.

quade

*********It has it's advantages...and the diversity is nice.

About FB in that regard is the mindless reposting of material from years ago which may have been debunked, but continues to circulate. AND there's simply no slowing it down other than defriending somebody, which is fine if it's a cousin twice removed, but nearly impossible if it's people you actually do still kinda wanna stay in touch with.

Simply silly.

They have pretty decent features these days.

You can block friends news feeds so you don't constantly see their posting of whatever crap it is, but still stay in contact with them.

Same thing with compromising photos.

If you don't want them up don't post them. Or better yet, don't TAKE them.

quade

******My kids are still teens and the best way to find out things about their friends is to become friends with them! I should add that I never request them, they always friend request me! Once they do then I can view their photos and BAM! I am given the details of their life!

Unless...you're friends with their stupid friends who have no concern for their own privacy settings, let alone their friends'. In which case, what happens in Vegas may not in fact stay in Vegas.

Hmmm … It's easy enough to not allow your posts to be seen by "friends of friends."
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!