fallfast69

Insurance Question

My motorcycle was run over in the parking lot of my apartments Friday night. I have Liability and Comprehensive, but not Collision. I would consider this as an act of vandalism, not a collision.

My insurance is not going to cover the loss.

Are they correct?

Jon

That sounds to me like a Comprehensive claim. Your bike didn't collide with anything, it was damaged during a (criminal if it was a hit-and-run) act that was not of your doing.

I'm assuming you have filed the appropriate police reports? Read your policy carefully, this SHOULD be covered by comprehensive insurance.

Source: I dated an insurance professional for a few years

I'll dig out the policy and see what it says, exactly. It's a 2004 ZZR600...prolly not worth that much.

Really fun bike that me and my son have been sharing. He doesn't have another form of transportation and we work together. If it was raining real hard or below 30, we would ride together in my car. That didn't happen too much in the last year and a half. If he had to get in (oops..I almost said go in) real early, I'd usually ride and he would take my car.

This really just pisses me off. I just can't stand dishonest assholes>:(

Thanks for your replies!

eta "thanks"

Iago

***My motorcycle was run over in the parking lot of my apartments Friday night. I have Liability and Comprehensive, but not Collision. I would consider this as an act of vandalism, not a collision.

My insurance is not going to cover the loss.

Are they correct?

Jon

If the bike is worth a significant amount of money consider hiring an insurance attorney to handle it. The insurance company will probably keep denying your claim counting on you giving up and going away.

This.

Can't answer the question without reading every word of the entire policy from cover to cover. The best qualified person to do said reading, and then to champion your case against the insurance company, is an attorney who has experience handling insurance coverage disputes.

I've handled a ton of insurance coverage disputes (between policyholders and their own ins co) in my legal career, on both sides. The only way to know for sure if you do or do not have a good claim is to lawyer-up. And if you do have a good claim, the only way to prevail on it once they've initially denied it is... to lawyer-up.

P.S. - there's a pretty good chance you're going to have to sue them, because insurance companies are incredibly stubborn about not changing their minds once they've denied a claim. Better get your head around that now.

Good advive, Andy. Thanks. I didn't feel too warm and fuzzy after speaking with her on the phone. I still feel that if the offended vehicle wasn't occupied, it really isn't collision issue. I realize it wasn't a tree that fell on the bike, but we had no involvement in the damage that occured. It may,also, be a privet property issue, though.

Remster

I was an insurance agent in a former life

:o:|

That was before I decided to straighten out my life and pursue more respectable activities, e.g. skydiving.:ph34r:
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.