Phillbo

Windows 8

As a network administrator that has working experience with all Microsoft operating sytems Windows 8 will only help you if you have a laptop like the Microsoft Surface or a tablet. If you are intending to put this OS on a computer that doesnt have a touchscreen then you should install Windows 7. The tiles can be confusing if you arent prepared and in order to restore the start button you have to pass through a series of menus. Its a good os for what its intended for...tablets. If you dont have a touchscreen it isnt worth your time.

As a network administrator that has working experience with all Microsoft operating sytems Windows 8 will only help you if you have a laptop like the Microsoft Surface or a tablet. If you are intending to put this OS on a computer that doesnt have a touchscreen then you should install Windows 7. The tiles can be confusing if you arent prepared and in order to restore the start button you have to pass through a series of menus. Its a good os for what its intended for...tablets. If you dont have a touchscreen it isnt worth your time.

+1 Our entire enterprise workstations are running Windows 7 with a couple XP boxes out there. We are actively against putting Windows 8 on them and hope that Windows 9 brings it back to a more normal version.

Where the fuck is the start button menu?? If I weren't so damn lazy, I would've restored back to Win 7 on my laptop.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

+1.
Win8 blows on a laptop without a conductive screen. They got ahead of themselves on this one, IMO.
The networking is easier, and a couple apps do run faster. But that's about all I've found. Those small benefits are outweighed by the interface that is clearly designed for tabs.

+1 Our entire enterprise workstations are running Windows 7 with a couple XP boxes out there. We are actively against putting Windows 8 on them and hope that Windows 9 brings it back to a more normal version.

Where the fuck is the start button menu?? If I weren't so damn lazy, I would've restored back to Win 7 on my laptop.

Win 8 definitely takes some getting used to. I find that I prefer to keep the desktop on screen rather than the newfangled colorful square screen view. Also, some apps that were easy to find in 7, I can't find them in 8, like MS Paint. Only way it seems to get to MS Paint is to click on a pic and edit it.

To get to the settings, I have to move the mouse cursor to the top right corner where the menu appears along the right side. That's where you turn the computer off and shit. :S

I've got a 23 inch screen at work so I'm not complaining too much. The home PC is still on Win 7
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Only way it seems to get to MS Paint is to click on a pic and edit it.

Windows Key+R
mspaint
OK

;)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Only way it seems to get to MS Paint is to click on a pic and edit it.

Windows Key+R
mspaint
OK

;)

Thanks. Sometimes I think I'm too old to figure things out myself that I'll just ask one of the young 'uns... :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

As a network administrator that has working experience with all Microsoft operating sytems Windows 8 will only help you if you have a laptop like the Microsoft Surface or a tablet.

I completely disagree and I've been a network admin of one sort (started with Unix) or another for almost 30 years. The biggest advantages of Windows 8 are in its more efficient use of CPU and memory. The biggest problem people have with it are simply adjusting to the new interface. This usually makes network admins kinda grumpy. It might not be that big a deal for a home user though.

Some versions of Windows 8 also come with downgrade rights. I'd suggest that the OP do some reading before coming to a decision.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2411451,00.asp

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2015107/downgrading-from-windows-8-to-7-what-you-need-to-know.html
Owned by Remi #?

You can search the entire computer by hitting the start button and then typing. So if you are on the Desktop screen click the start button and type paint.

There is no start button on Windows 8. Not like there is on older versions. Theonlyski nailed it though.

Here's a little video that will introduce you to how you can use it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi8NpwiEuzc

if you find that one goes too fast and it does go fast... here's a video that explains things slower, made by the same guy. Better for most of us :)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BSmmSU-UZU&feature=youtu.be

"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

I meant the windows icon on your keyboard. I have always called that the start button but I should have been more specific.

Oh yeah, I just never realized it was the start button, until today. Fucking deaf noob that I am... :D

As a network administrator that has working experience with all Microsoft operating sytems Windows 8 will only help you if you have a laptop like the Microsoft Surface or a tablet.

I completely disagree and I've been a network admin of one sort (started with Unix) or another for almost 30 years. The biggest advantages of Windows 8 are in its more efficient use of CPU and memory. The biggest problem people have with it are simply adjusting to the new interface. This usually makes network admins kinda grumpy. It might not be that big a deal for a home user though.

Some versions of Windows 8 also come with downgrade rights. I'd suggest that the OP do some reading before coming to a decision.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2411451,00.asp

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2015107/downgrading-from-windows-8-to-7-what-you-need-to-know.html

+8

Friggin nubes

Would the touch feature on this laptop make windows 8 more compatible?

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-14r-5421/pd?~ck=mn&~ck=mn

Any of the touch enabled devices will be a scosh easier to use.. but I have a Dell XPS that is loaded to the max and I have been using Win8 for over a year on it and it does not have a touch screen.. BUT the 17"LED oin it is 3D on the lappie so I likeeee A LOT.

The only trick to switching your mind over to using Win8 without a touchscreen is to remember.... CORNERS. all you seek shall be found in the corners of every window:)

Would the touch feature on this laptop make windows 8 more compatible?

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-14r-5421/pd?~ck=mn&~ck=mn

as above

as compatible as its going to get for the as above the touch will just give you a different input mechanism

Win8 blows on a laptop without a conductive screen. They got ahead of themselves on this one, IMO.

I disagree with you here. Windows 8 is a great OS in the sense that it was a very necessary step for MS to take to move away from their old UI. There was no way MS could break out of the corner without doing this.

It's far from perfect, but it's rock solid (just as solid as win 7 I've found......basically it's no Vista!).

Do I recommend the upgrade? Not really unless you have a touchscreen, but I wouldn't shy away from it as an option that comes with a machine.

Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

I had Vista and then bought a new rig with Windows 8 installed. What a piece of crap!!!

It is more like a pinball machine. Moving the cursor around causes everything to highlight, brings stuff on the screen you DIDN'T want without clicking ...........basically, for every 5 minutes I spend, I have to hit the escape key about 50 times to get rid of the pinball effect, to get rid of the highlighting. About every 20 seconds or so. And no, the options do NOT come up when you hover the cursor on the corners. Oh about 30% of the time, maybe. I'm taking this back to the store and getting the "downgrade" or whatever it's called. Windows 8 is ridiculous and NOT for some one who isn't enthralled about computers but just wants to send and receive emails and do some googling. I've never had Windows 7, but nothing could be worse than this 8 version.

I had Vista and then bought a new rig with Windows 8 installed. What a piece of crap!!!

It is more like a pinball machine. Moving the cursor around causes everything to highlight, brings stuff on the screen you DIDN'T want without clicking ...........basically, for every 5 minutes I spend, I have to hit the escape key about 50 times to get rid of the pinball effect, to get rid of the highlighting. About every 20 seconds or so. And no, the options do NOT come up when you hover the cursor on the corners. Oh about 30% of the time, maybe. I'm taking this back to the store and getting the "downgrade" or whatever it's called. Windows 8 is ridiculous and NOT for some one who isn't enthralled about computers but just wants to send and receive emails and do some googling. I've never had Windows 7, but nothing could be worse than this 8 version.

I'm not crazy about it either, which is why I stick to the old desktop viewing format that we've all had for years. Thankfully Windows 8 still has that option.