LiveLifeGoJump

Soft Links V Speedlinks

A thread has just been started on how to attach soft links but WHY?

What are the advantages/disadvantages?

Don't know why but the idea of fitting them to my kit scares me. Can't seem to convinve myself that they are safe even though I've not heard that they are not safe.

Is it just fashion (yeah, I'm COOL, I've got soft links and can pull the slider right down my risers!!!), is it just different or is their a practical advantage/risk reduction?

Get out, Land on a green bit. If you get the pull somewhere in between it would help.

Click here!

BTW, pulling the slider all the way down, together with loosening the chest strap, makes your canopy slightly more efficient as a wing. So technically, it's not the slider behind your neck that makes you cooler, it's the longer swoops.:P And of course, having it down there means it's not flapping while you fly which in turn means less chance of the grommets rubbing against the lines. Much less annoying, too.

Can't seem to convinve myself that they are safe even though I've not heard that they are not safe.

I am with you.....I know they are said to be stronger than the barrel links, but I prefer steel....

Is it just fashion (yeah, I'm COOL, I've got soft links and can pull the slider right down my risers!!!),

pulling the slider down is pretty important to swoopers, but even with my metal links I can still pull my slider down behind my head, matter of fact, the bumpers over the metal links keep the slider from sliding all the way down on top of my head during opening, I borrowed a friends rig and his slider would come down completely every time....annoying as hell.

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

"What are the advantages/disadvantages?"

They are stronger, and lighter, and less volume than rapide links.
They don't damage your slider grommets, if the slider comes down fast.
They don't need those plastic bumpers which have been known to snag steering lines, leading to a locked in spiral.
They don't unscrew themselves.

In my opinion they are inherently safer than rapide links, not just a fashion accessory.
Other opinions may vary.:)
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Let's get our terminology straight here.

"Speed links" are big, heavy, bulky US Navy hardware designed to replace L-bar links. Since they do not tolerate end-loading well, they are frowned upon by CSPA.
Perhaps you meant oval-shaped, French-made "Maillon Rapide" links that are standard on most ram-air canopies.
I have packed thousands of reserves containing Maillon Rapide links and trust them completely.
I have also packed a few reserves containing PD Slinks (soft links) and find them less labour-intensive to install.
I have soft links on my main.

"Let's get our terminology straight here."

I know, but you were really replying to the other guy, weren't you.:)
"I have soft links on my main."
'Nuff said then.B|
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Let's get our terminology straight here.

I stand corrected, many thanks for that.

I had heard them called Rapide links but had 'forgot'.

and find them less labour-intensive to install.

Only seen them fitted once, they took longer to do.

With soft links do you have to have the slider behind your head or will it stay high as with Rapide links (too old to be cool, too young to be dead, sod the swoop & save the knees)?

Get out, Land on a green bit. If you get the pull somewhere in between it would help.

Only seen them fitted once, they took longer to do

You don't need a tool with soft links - you do with rapide links. As for speed it's like doing your shoelaces - once you know how it's very quick. I suspect even the best would just lose out to rapide links in a race though... but not if you had to find your spanner first.

You can fit "Slink hats" over your soft links to prevent the slider coming down past the links. These look like pilgrim’s hats (minus buckle), which fit over the end of the risers allowing the slider grommets to sit on the actual hat itself.

This gives an advantage in that the point exposed to the wear of the slider grommets, as the bounce around in flight is the cheap slink hat as opposed to the expensive line set. Another slight bonus to slinks.

Quite a few FOR soft links, Any against? Not convinced yet but getting there.

Still it's hard to trust them but there again I put my trust in a knotted bedsheet & a few lenghts of string (oh and MY packing) so are they any worse, I suppose not!

I would rather have soft links then rapid links on my main and reserve.

Softlinks have been proven to be stronger in tests, a LOT stronger infact. And, if one fails on my main, I know it instantly and can cutaway. If a rapid link fails, it bends open and can still hold your lines, waiting to dump your lines at 50ft thus killing you.

I haven't heard of a set of properly installed and maintained (replaced every 500 jumps or so) Slinks breaking in the field. I'm sure its happened, anything can happen and seems to happen in this sport, but I know I've seen and heard a good number of rapid link failures.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Just like every other line on your canopy, slinks can go out of trim. Something to keep in mind. I currently use rapid links, and plan to do the same with my new rig that is in the works. People trying to claim difference in weight are quite humorous. Take the change out of your pocket, and you're to the same weight! I will agree that they are stronger, but the difference is quite small considering how much load they can take.

I got a strong urge to fly, but I got no where to fly to. -PF

Just like every other line on your canopy, slinks can go out of trim.

did you already try to stretch 3cm (the approximate length of a slink) of spectra to find out how much "out of trim" the slinks can go ??

IMHO the effect would be around the same as

People trying to claim difference in weight are quite humorous. Take the change out of your pocket, and you're to the same weight

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

OK...IMO the main point has been overlooked...they can be inspected easily (even with the hoods)! I've had friend land with open Rapide (steel) links. Threads cannot be easily inspected (esp. with the silicone covers) but soft links can! Whether you pack for yourself or hire a packer, a glance gives you a warm fuzzy (think of the window on a collapsable PC). OK, the guy with the Pull-Out (me) doesn't have the window (I will deal with it) but at the end of the day, you can looks at your slinks in 30 seconds or less and know that you'll be happy (if roperly installed)!

PS: I change mine when I get a new lineset (or sooner based on wear).

does a recommendation from PD exist to replace them at some interval?

I don't see it in their instructions, but the only thing they have is the installation instructions on line, and the product description on-line.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

does a recommendation from PD exist to replace them at some interval?

Hmmm...I'm not sure there's one in writing. I was told to replace them when you would replace your risers or your lineset, which ever comes first (roughly 500 jumps).

It makes sense to me, especially since by the time 500 jumps comes around they're looking like they've taken on some good wear, but as I've stated many times over, I'm not a rigger. So for the rest of the folks, you can take my opinion if you wish, but as always talk to your rigger.

Thanks All.

Seems that majority recommend soft links and there has been many good & valid reasons for using them. Didn't see any advantage of repide links over soft links in the posts.

I might buy a set (may even use them if I can overcome the faer of using them, funny how irrational fear is!)

Didn't see any advantage of repide links over soft links in the posts.

I guess I got one - they're old technology... no matter how sure we are of new inventions there's often something we all overlooked. You never know. Ron's the biggest exponent of this theory and you simply can't argue with it - he's right.

That said, it's a bit of string... what could everyone be overlooking? :P

I guess I got one - they're old technology... no matter how sure we are of new inventions there's often something we all overlooked. You never know. Ron's the biggest exponent of this theory and you simply can't argue with it - he's right.

Actually, soft-links are old technology as well.

They've been used for a good number of years, but were primarily just "use once, throw away" until PD's reusable version came out and made them popular again.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Actually, soft-links are old technology as well.

They've been used for a good number of years, but were primarily just "use once, throw away" until PD's reusable version came out and made them popular again.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If you want to be picky, one-use-only soft links have been around for about 20 years.
The disadvantage was that numbers were never published.

... and Performance Designs was the SECOND canopy manufacturer to offer re-usable soft links.
Parachutes de France was the first to offer re-usable soft links, with steel rings, circa 1997.
PD was second with folded tape tabs.
Precision was third with brass rings.
Aerodyne was forth with steel rings.
Flight Concepts was fifth with large ugly knots ....
It does not really matter what you put at the end as long as it is too fat and ugly to slip through the loop on the end.

As for service life, use common sense and replace them every time you replace lines or risers - about 500 jumps - or when they show significant wear.

If a rapid link fails, it bends open and can still hold your lines, waiting to dump your lines at 50ft thus killing you.

Just read today of and incident were a skydiver noticed a failed radpi link after he landed (happened this year). How many of us do kit check after deployment (handle pads etc.) & should we now include rapid links?

If all this info doesn't convince me to change then what will?

Thanks to all who posted replies and DZ.com for being here when we need it.

Blue Skies & be safe.

How many of us do kit check after deployment (handle pads etc.) & should we now include rapid links?

The tandems I jump have rapid links, I check them on every single tandem jump I do.