JohnMitchell

Colorado Springs Peeps?

My house was about 1-2 miles from being burned. Luckily, (for me; not so much anyone else) the winds shifted and took the fire back the way it came.

I was on standby to evac.
Still about 1/4 mile from evac zone.
winds shifted again for a small time.

But, I THINK my area is safe.
I'm Moving To NJ in less than a month.
I put off getting a property manager until I know that I have a house to rent.

I'll sign the paper tomorrow.
What a crazy time.
Get this:

SOME people who lost their homes are the same people who lost their homes in LAST YEARS fires. Two homes in two years? I would not have a sense of humor after that.

I dont know how many but I asked my neighbor "Man, do you think any of those ppl are the same from last year?'
He knows someone who is in that situation.
My photos

My Videos

jtval

My house was about 1-2 miles from being burned. Luckily, (for me; not so much anyone else) the winds shifted and took the fire back the way it came.

I was on standby to evac.
Still about 1/4 mile from evac zone.
winds shifted again for a small time.

But, I THINK my area is safe.
I'm Moving To NJ in less than a month.
I put off getting a property manager until I know that I have a house to rent.

I'll sign the paper tomorrow.
What a crazy time.
Get this:

SOME people who lost their homes are the same people who lost their homes in LAST YEARS fires. Two homes in two years? I would not have a sense of humor after that.

I dont know how many but I asked my neighbor "Man, do you think any of those ppl are the same from last year?'
He knows someone who is in that situation.

Where I live some of the people have sprinkler systems mounted on their homes. I have an 8000 gal above ground pool with a fire pump and hose, and I've got my trees thinned and away from the house (no close neighbors). I do understand that high winds could burn up my fire defense plans, but I'm not going anywhere.
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

Glad to hear your property is OK!

I don't think you will have a problem renting the place at this point. (not sure which face to attach).

This sounds a lot like when I was growing up in So.Cal. It was a perennial problem. It seemed like every couple years the hills threatened to burn burned down around us. My mom still lives in O.C., and now there is so little of the natural environment left, her house is hardly in danger, anymore. Mixed blessing, I suppose.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

jtval

This may give you some ideas .

Stay safe. No reason to die if the fires is coming with too much force.

Very informative video, but I cannot understand why the homeowner had trees so close to the house plus the mulch. Of course I've seen that here, and there are instances where the local fire department will flat out tell you that your house is not defendable. There are many factors. Just the ability of the fire trucks to turn around/alternate escape routes are considered. The local eco center here does take people on a bus tour once a year to show them how different homeowners are prepared for the next fire. To a point, it's a do-it-yourself thing. I have heard of people who saved their house by just knocking ambers off their roof. Had they evacuated, they would have lost their house. It's all about how much risk are you willing to take.
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

It's pretty crazy here. I've got a few friends who got mandatory evacuated. I'm farther south.

This is two major fires in two years. Last year Waldo Canyon threatened the whole West side of the city. This year the Black Forest is on the same warpath on the North side of the city.
I hate landing in planes.