boinky

Sharing An Addiction

I am pleased as I can possibly be to say that my youngest son is 18 now. For his 18'th birthday present, I am giving him his first tandem jump this week! I am also taking him for a visit to the Ifly in Austin the same day.

He is going to Army boot camp next week. And he thinks he might like to go Airborne while he's in the Army. This should be a good test to see if he likes skydiving! Of course...what's not to love? :)
Nina

Are we called "DAWGs" because we stick our noses up people's butts? (RIP Buzz)
Yep, you're a postwhore-billyvance

Sky Gods
DZ Drama
Death of Friends
Empty Bank Accounts
Hangovers
Broken Bones
Aircraft Bites
Learning to pack
Packing
Paying for reserve repacks

Just sayin':D:D

I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Always the doomsayer...[:/]

Some of the happiest times of my life happened when I was skydiving. And if it hadn't been for skydiving, I would never have met my husband. :)
If those things listed are risks that he's willing to take, then I am behind him all of the way! I'm sure that no one thought that running in a marathon was life threatening either, huh?

Nina

boinky

Always the doomsayer...[:/]

Some of the happiest times of my life happened when I was skydiving. And if it hadn't been for skydiving, I would never have met my husband. :)
If those things listed are risks that he's willing to take, then I am behind him all of the way! I'm sure that no one thought that running in a marathon was life threatening either, huh?

Hey. You asked.:ph34r::D:D
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

boinky

South Carolina

OH CRAP - :o

You know that Divot lives there, right?

Well at least he will be surrounded by enough trained soldiers and weapons.

He's going to do boot camp. Then go to AIT for 6 months. Then will be in the reserves while he goes back to GA to go to Georgia Military College for two years. Then active duty as an officer with a degree.

For an 18 year old, he's really got his plans laid out. I know a lot of people two and three times his age that still don't know what they want to do with their lives. ;)

I'm very proud of him! :)

Nina

> I know a lot of people two and three times his age that still don't know what they want to do with their lives.

Shit, I don't even know what I want to do tomorrow. ;)

Good on him. Really. That is the future of America.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

35F is a very flexible MOS. He just needs to realize that it's not James Bond time. It can get tedious.

He'll want a car in Arizona. There are things to do within driving distance of Ft. Huachuca, but you have to have wheels.

Airborne is fun, but not nearly as nice as skydiving. He should get offered Airborne training during the summer while he's in school. If he gets a choice, he should take Air Assault. Airborne is easy to get on active duty. Air Assault is much harder to get.

Sounds like you did a great job with him. To have a solid plan at 18 is fantastic.

Recommend a solid discussion on women and alcohol. Many kids get out for the first time with freedom and money; they have to deal with alcohol and women without adult oversight; they lose it. Those are the most likely obstacles I see for him right now. Moderation and condoms can be a big help to his aspirations.

Again, congratulations. You must have done lots of things right for a very long time to get to this point.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Good on him. Really. That is the future of America.

I hope his plans go better than originally intended!
Nina

I'm a bit concerned about the MOS as I've had many people tell me that things change after you get in. I've constantly warned him that this could happen. It will be a 'wait and see' sort of thing, I guess.

He already has plans to get his car to Arizona somehow. I'm sure it will depend on when basic ends and with AIT begins.

I have had alcohol and women discussions many times in the past. And I'll happily send him cases of condoms, should he need them. >:( I'm hoping that he will buckle down and do the right things though.

I had him read your post and he's now reading up on your suggestions. Thanks for helping! :)
While I'm worried for him...I'm very proud of his commitment and level headed plans. :)

Nina

No worries about the MOS. The Army is constantly short of 35 series. The training and TS clearance have value on the civilian market as well.

Yes, 'needs of the Army' justifies changing lots of things after someone is in the service. But his contract will specify the MOS. That's set in stone. After AIT, we aren't going to spend the money to train him for another job unless it's one that's even more short-handed AND he volunteers. Especially in the Reserves. By the time that would even be an issue, he should be commissioned. No worries.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

lololol

At the moment, my bank account is fine, although a tandem, video and time in the tunnel all in one day put a dent into it. :P But thank goodness he leaves for boot camp on Tuesday! ;) He's already talking about lessons and wind tunnel time. :D This is all YOUR fault! hahahahaha

He's not overly tall. And most of my gear was purchased when I was about his size. So if he doesn't get any taller, most would fit him. And since I currently have a 190 canopy, it'll be a good starter canopy if he actually does become an actual skydiver! :)

Nina

My son came home on leave and said he wanted to get a ricer.

Okay.....I admit that I had to look a ricer up. And after seeing a picture, I have to agree with you! :ph34r:
Nina