DougH

Corporate IT Annoyance

I was pushed a new Flash player update from the Corporate IT powers that be, yippee.

Previously they locked down the local storage options on the Flash player in IE that kept Pandora from working. You could use Chrome and it worked just fine.

Something in the new settings disabled the Flash and Shockwave in Chrome.

But now Flash works again in IE, and you can once again use Pandora in IE.

:S:D

"Were going round in circles circles, were going round in circle circles":)
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

normiss

I just love the public vs. corporate battle over Flash and Java.
Tards.

Flash -> Adobe = The crappiest sw vendor I must deal with on a regular basis.

Java -> Oracle = Dead Man Walking. (Oracle: Where products and careers go to die). I haven't had it on my workstation for 6 months. In that time I've only encountered a couple web sites that expected it.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

normiss

Agreed.

More so if they take Java along with it.

+1 And we haven't even gotten into the endless parade of security vulnerabilities in each over the past few months.

To the OP, that's why you keep getting a new version of Flash, due to yet another remote code execution vulnerability in Flash. Your IT dept is between a rock and a hard place . . keep the existing version and open your office up to drive by malware due to the Flash security issues or update the software and subject the office to whatever Flash's latest bugs are . . What a 'POS' bit of software.

And to the OP . . before you rant about your corporate IT, maybe you should try the job for a week or two since you seem to be implying you could do a better job . . I suspect you'd change your tune a bit once you see what it really entails . .

ZMC

zen_mtn_climber

And to the OP . . before you rant about your corporate IT, maybe you should try the job for a week or two since you seem to be implying you could do a better job . . I suspect you'd change your tune a bit once you see what it really entails . .

I don't know, I generally spend most of my day sitting on my ass, or bullshitting with other people... Taking a "hour" long lunch and coming back to an empty queue of tickets.

Guess it pays to not be the low man in IT. Our level 1's are busy as hell. :D

But, I have bigger things on my plate, like figuring out how to un-fuck some pretty interesting looking networks and get them in line with sanity and best practices... with little to no downtime. I'd say roughly 90-95% of my work is planning, 5-10% doing.

:P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

ryoder

***I just love the public vs. corporate battle over Flash and Java.
Tards.

Flash -> Adobe = The crappiest sw vendor I must deal with on a regular basis.

Java -> Oracle = Dead Man Walking. (Oracle: Where products and careers go to die). I haven't had it on my workstation for 6 months. In that time I've only encountered a couple web sites that expected it.

+1 on flash. We have an ex flash dev at work and he's been told if he mentions the F word again he gets to do the next Oracle upgrade ;)

Yup.

Just starting to sort through thousands of routers where we have processor card "issues".

Issues being:

Customers terminate on processor card.
Line cards in secondary processor card slot.

I'm sure to spend a few months spending a few minutes a day sorting out maintenance windows.

ryoder

Java may not be commonly used in front-end web design or for desktop applications (meaning "normal" computer/web users like you can survive without it), but as a general software development and run-time environment it is extremely widely used (including a a lot of web servers). Meaning if it did somehow "die," a lot of websites you use today would explode.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

zen_mtn_climber

I'll bet even the monkeys working in IT are fed up with some of the policies that come down from the top.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Speaking of which, remember that network I sent you the layout of?

It's amazing how much better it's looking/running with some wiring changes.

They're much happier with it, and it's only getting better... Next on the list: VLANs!B|

"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

quade

***I just love the public vs. corporate battle over Flash and Java.
Tards.

Seriously, Flash needs to go the f away. It is a menace to society.

Can someone explain to me why so many photographers still use Flash for their website and why do they have to play music? I don't get it, there is never a good reason to auto start music on a website (or video for that matter) and there are better options out there than Flash for cool design.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

theonlyski

Guess it pays to not be the low man in IT. Our level 1's are busy as hell. :D

But, I have bigger things on my plate, like figuring out how to un-fuck some pretty interesting looking networks and get them in line with sanity and best practices... with little to no downtime. I'd say roughly 90-95% of my work is planning, 5-10% doing.

:P

Maybe more that it pays to have enough low people underneath you :P I'm top of our todem pole but pole is only 3 ppl high. I split about 60-40 between planning and doing but that 60/40 comes across a 10-12 hour day. I get to interface with upper management and users on daily basis.

Course that's why I'm moving on to better things come end of July :o

Twelve years of this (17 total in IT) is enough for me [:/]

AggieDave

Can someone explain to me why so many photographers still use Flash for their website and why do they have to play music? I don't get it, there is never a good reason to auto start music on a website (or video for that matter) and there are better options out there than Flash for cool design.

When I was using Firefox, I added "Flashblock" to stop that idiocy.
Chrome has that function as a builtin option.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

The111

***And to the OP . . before you rant about your corporate IT, maybe you should try the job for a week or two since you seem to be implying you could do a better job . . I suspect you'd change your tune a bit once you see what it really entails . .

I'll bet even the monkeys working in IT are fed up with some of the policies that come down from the top.

Nah, those who know how it work can usually work around it..

I used to run Linux on my desktop. The corporate guys didn't have to support it. When a guy took his laptop home, let his kids play games on it, then brought it back and "pushed out" a virus to all 4,000 of his co-workers, guess who didn't get the virus and had no interruption in service.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

AggieDave

******I just love the public vs. corporate battle over Flash and Java.
Tards.

Seriously, Flash needs to go the f away. It is a menace to society.

Because flash is awesome. H8ters gonna h8te.
Remster

The111

***Java -> Oracle = Dead Man Walking. (Oracle: Where products and careers go to die). I haven't had it on my workstation for 6 months. In that time I've only encountered a couple web sites that expected it.

Java may not be commonly used in front-end web design or for desktop applications (meaning "normal" computer/web users like you can survive without it), but as a general software development and run-time environment it is extremely widely used (including a a lot of web servers). Meaning if it did somehow "die," a lot of websites you use today would explode.

Yeah, but it really does suck for all those things. The whole damn application stack sucks, from the stateless protocol to the leaky-ass middleware companies write to the shitty scripting languages that have been glommed into today's browsers. Flush the whole damn thing down the toilet like the messy dump it is and start over!
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

FlyingRhenquest

******Java -> Oracle = Dead Man Walking. (Oracle: Where products and careers go to die). I haven't had it on my workstation for 6 months. In that time I've only encountered a couple web sites that expected it.

Yeah, but it really does suck for all those things. The whole damn application stack sucks, from the stateless protocol to the leaky-ass middleware companies write to the shitty scripting languages that have been glommed into today's browsers. Flush the whole damn thing down the toilet like the messy dump it is and start over!

What do stateless HTTP and web scripting languages have to do with the design of Java?
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

The111

What do stateless HTTP and web scripting languages have to do with the design of Java?

That was in reference to the OP's note that a lot of the web services infrastructure is written in java. Maybe you could tell I wouldn't be terribly sad if a lot of the web services infrastructure died in a fire (Which is probably what would happen in Java died in a fire.)
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Slowly, slowly we have been transitioning all of our users to Macs. We've got a few people who still have to RDC into a virtual host to run some archaic Windows-only crap, but that's easy enough to administer. I think we've got two Windows boxes left in the company and that's only because both of their users are old and I'd rather wait for them to retire and/or die than have to teach them how to use a new operating system.

As for Flash and Java: Both are avoided on all machines unless the user presents a case for needing it. I don't particularly care what the reason is, I'll install it for "I need it to play Farmville" but it's not going on unless someone asks for it. I'd rather live in New Jersey than install either on my machines, though.

For the cases where I MUST have Windows or Java (web admin stuff for various devices, I'm looking at you), I've got VMWare set up with a virtual machine, and of course that's nicely sandboxed.

And before the anti-Mac elitists show up, I've got 3 Windows installs at home… how else am I gonna play games??
cavete terrae.