oldwomanc6

Come On, People! What is Wrong With You?

While I cannot answer for everyone, I can say that talking on the phone is not that distracting. I will reiterate that following too closely is the second worse thing you can do, right behind driving under the influence. If you talk on the phone with a three second distance and a constant sweep of the mirrors, you're safer than most people out there. And of course you need go have enough sense to realize when you need to devote all your attention to driving.

BigMark

How can ANYBODY in this day and age who drives for a living not have a blue tooth ear piece? It boggles my mind that a guy in a semi truck with a 16 speed manual transmission tries to drive with one hand while talking on a cell. For the lack of $40 he will fuck up traffic all day long and or kill someone?

Most of the studies I've found state it doesn't help that much. The problem isn't that you're steering with one hand, it's that texting or having a conversation is actually pretty distracting.

You tend to just make small talk with passengers and mostly tune them out. Hit the safety course with a passenger sometime and have them ask you math questions while you drive the course and see how well you fare.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

sfzombie13

While I cannot answer for everyone, I can say that talking on the phone is not that distracting. I will reiterate that following too closely is the second worse thing you can do, right behind driving under the influence. If you talk on the phone with a three second distance and a constant sweep of the mirrors, you're safer than most people out there. And of course you need go have enough sense to realize when you need to devote all your attention to driving.

If you DON'T talk on the phone with a three second distance and a constant sweep of the mirrors, you're even safer!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

FlyingRhenquest

***How can ANYBODY in this day and age who drives for a living not have a blue tooth ear piece? It boggles my mind that a guy in a semi truck with a 16 speed manual transmission tries to drive with one hand while talking on a cell. For the lack of $40 he will fuck up traffic all day long and or kill someone?

Most of the studies I've found state it doesn't help that much. The problem isn't that you're steering with one hand, it's that texting or having a conversation is actually pretty distracting.

You tend to just make small talk with passengers and mostly tune them out. Hit the safety course with a passenger sometime and have them ask you math questions while you drive the course and see how well you fare.

I know my limitations, and have found that even with the blue tooth, I'm distracted from the road. I'm brave enough to admit I don't multi-task very well. I wish that others would admit that to themselves, too.

I don't like to talk on the phone even when I'm not driving, but add the car and it's a problem magnified, so I avoid it.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Hi 13,

I can say that talking on the phone is not that distracting.

Every study that I have heard of refutes your position on this.

Just this last week, the tv news had the latest study; IMO you are wrong.

But I do agree about the other points that you make.

JerryBaumchen

airtwardo

***On the way into work this morning I saw a girl doing her make up while driving. Got me so mad I wound my window down and threw my can of beer at her.

:):D

Litterbug! >:(

Not if his aim was good, and her window was open.;)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

i have seen these studies as well and tend to disagree with the methodology used. i've driven in a simulator while eating, talking on a phone and high. it was a blast and measured reaction time, and even allowed weather control as well as vehicle problems. my reaction time was superb, and while it did go down while talking (i think it was like .06 seconds), i consider this acceptable risk. while i was high, my reaction time got a touch quicker, actually. i think it may have been that i was super aware of what was going on. and another thing that gets better when high(at least in with a weaponeer in the army) was shooting. i got baked and scored 40 out of 40 with all head shots. still have the printout to prove it.

so while i agree with you that talking on a phone while driving can be distracting, i have actually found my limits safely, and my good driving habits far outweigh the distraction. most of the people in my class were at least a half second worse with no distractions, and some were over a second worse. as long as you have a good following distance, at least 3 seconds, you should have no problems. and for the record, 3 seconds is a lot farther at 70 than 35.

i consider this acceptable risk.

YOU consider it an acceptable risk of MY life? :o

Well...fuck you very much :S

I try to stay out of airplanes with people like that...no matter how good you are...you think you are good enough to bypass common sense. That's fun to watch but not to be a 'collateral damage' part of. :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

airtwardo

YOU consider it an acceptable risk of MY life?

Well...fuck you very much. :S

Thank you, Jim. I was formulating a reply, but it was not nearly as eloquent as yours!

Mad Skillz :S Sadly, those with them rarely realize that life doesn't always come at you with a 3-second delay.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Alright this one was a first for me. Pulling up to a 3 way stop with lights and watch the light turn to yellow, the guy in front of me stops in the intersection. I'm thinking ok give him room he's going to back up. Does he?? NO he sits there the whole time! what the crap?? Light turns green and on he goes. :S

No matter how slowly you say oranges it never sounds like gullible.
Believe me I tried.

promise5

Uuuummmm I think that f***ing while driving would be a big distraction especially the "very much" part. :P

It appears the dirty twin has come out to play.:)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

airtwardo

YOU consider it an acceptable risk of MY life? :o

Well...fuck you very much :S

I try to stay out of airplanes with people like that...no matter how good you are...you think you are good enough to bypass common sense. That's fun to watch but not to be a 'collateral damage' part of. :ph34r:

EXACTLY.

Driving is dangerous in and of itself... The human was not designed to move at speeds greater than something like 5-10 mph... Think about that... We are in vehicles that allow us to go 10 to 20 times faster than we are naturally "supposed" to move and our reaction time has NOT increased by that much to compensate. Even with your FULL attention on the road, it's so easy to take too long to react, or make a bad decision, or panic, or not even see an animal/person running out into the road... It's stupid to think that a "mild" slowness in reaction time is no big deal. It IS a big deal.
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

promise5

Uuuummmm I think that f***ing while driving would be a big distraction especially the "very much" part. :P

You might think that but I couldn't possibly comment. ;)

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

vanair

Usually suspended from the ceiling in a basket with the bottom cut out. or similar devise.

Even more fun if you hang the basket from a bungie cord.
Kate Bush even recorded a song about it: http://www.artistdirect.com/video/kate-bush-rubberband-girl/33860:D