Nataly

How long before you considered yourself a nom-smoker?

swedishcelt

A non-smoker is one who quits regardless of desire. I haven't smoked in years but I still 'need' one psychologically when someone dies, I break up with someone, or someone cuts me off in traffic... B| I think about it. I dismiss it. It's hard. It's really hard when smokers offer me one when I really want one. At least the higher prices keep people from being as enablingly generous now.

That's why they call it an addiction. However, you ante up and you deal with it even though it really sucks. Such is life...

Hi Beth :)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

swedishcelt

A non-smoker is one who quits regardless of desire. I haven't smoked in years but I still 'need' one psychologically when someone dies, I break up with someone, or someone cuts me off in traffic... B| I think about it. I dismiss it. It's hard. It's really hard when smokers offer me one when I really want one. At least the higher prices keep people from being as enablingly generous now.

That's why they call it an addiction. However, you ante up and you deal with it even though it really sucks. Such is life...

See as i say each person deals with it differently. I don't even think of them subconsciously as far as i am aware:|. I don't feel the need for them regardless of the situation, its just not a part of my life anymore. For which i am grateful but as i say smokers nearby doesn't bother me.

just deal with it the best you can :)

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

Nataly

BTW, this is *not* the first time she has "quit"...

I've never smoked, and I'm very grateful for that - I'll never have to find out how hard it is to stop.

Maybe that's the reason I find it pretty tiresome when friends repeatedly 'give up'. They make a big deal of it, you make the appropriate noises of support, and then before you know it they've fallen off the wagon and are puffing away again. For me, by the time we've been through a couple of cycles like that it's a case of 'Give up, or don't give up. If you're not going to commit, I don't want to hear about it!':S

I don't actually have a big downer on smoking as a personal choice (although I'm glad it's not allowed in enclosed public places any more). Few of us can say we never do things that are bad for us.

It's different for every person. I'm with AggieDave in that I consider myself a smoker (and always will), I'm just not smoking anymore. 14 years this coming fall.

It doesn't bother me to be around it, every so often the smell of someone else smoking will smell good to me. It makes me want to pick it up again. This is why I don't consider myself a "non-smoker." The urge still strikes every now and again, the strongest time was when my dad died.
I also know someone who has quit for a long time, but loves the smell and has said more than once that if she was given a short time to live, then she'd start back up again.

But if calling herself a non-smoker makes it easier for her to quit, then more power to her.

And since he was one of the first to respond:

IAAD :P

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

It's different for every person.

So true. I started at 15 years old when I was in Europe for a summer, quit at least 20 times for anywhere from a few days to a few months until I turned 31, when I quit for four years. After those four years, I started with one drag, then a cigarette, then a pack...then smoked habitually again for five years.

Quitting this time around was a process that took almost a year for me. First I stopped buying, then I would drink, then slip up and buy a pack. Then I would stop buying completely and just ask someone for a cigarette. It was the quitting completely even when out on the town that was the last hump for me, and I finally did it on April 4th last year. It's been over 14 months since my last cigarette now (had plenty of nights out on the town since), and I hope never to do it again.

I keep in mind that all it takes is one drag to get me back in the habit for years, and remembering that keeps me from smoking under any circumstances. That and the list of almost 20 reasons not to smoke that I referenced and added to my cell phone repeatedly as I built up the will to quit.

I would rather be much like the OP and never have smoked at all...but in any case it feels good not to be smoking and not wanting to.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

MikeJD

***BTW, this is *not* the first time she has "quit"...

I've never smoked, and I'm very grateful for that - I'll never have to find out how hard it is to stop.

Maybe that's the reason I find it pretty tiresome when friends repeatedly 'give up'. They make a big deal of it, you make the appropriate noises of support, and then before you know it they've fallen off the wagon and are puffing away again. For me, by the time we've been through a couple of cycles like that it's a case of 'Give up, or don't give up. If you're not going to commit, I don't want to hear about it!':S

I don't actually have a big downer on smoking as a personal choice (although I'm glad it's not allowed in enclosed public places any more). Few of us can say we never do things that are bad for us.

^^THIS^^

The thing is, much as I'm tired of hearing "I've quit smoking" or "I'm on a diet/exercise programme" or "I'm never dating another jerk/airhead again" from the same people again and again and again, I don't feel it's particularly helpful/supportive if I just roll my eyes and say "whatever"... [:/] Sometimes I get the impression that just talking about making an effort is all about getting validation/attention and these people have no real desire to take action at all... :S Again, pointing this out doesn't really achieve anything, and besides, we all have moment when we need to feel validated/encouraged...

Still... Sometimes I would prefer them to just *do* something rather than *talk* about it all day long...
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

I agree with you. My wife and I quit smoking on the same day, 16 yrs. ago. I quit drinking that same day. We both get occasional cravings for a cigarette but don't give-in. As for the drinking, I get cravings for Jack Daniels... my drink of choice was beer. To me, cigarettes are addictive, just like booze. My body thanks me every day for quitting. It's difficult to quit but as time goes on it gets a little easier.

Chuck

Couple of years.

After that you are completely done with the physical addiction. If you smoke again after that its no different from starting in the first place.

13 years without a cigarette or a coffee here. Hehe, had to quit them both, they were far too intertwined.

Other vices I've had more trouble with.:P

I've never smoked.
Never even tried it.
Mom on the other hand was a three pack a day smoker.
Started when she was twenty and when she turned 60 - just quit.
40 years and just done.
We celebrated her 80th birthday last week.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.