Nataly

How long before you considered yourself a nom-smoker?

Someone I know has "quit smoking"... And believe me, it's not that I want to pooh-pooh their efforts, but since I have never smoked it seems strange to me that this person would claim "I am a non-smoker" on the first day of quitting... And then proceed to post on FB how easy it was to quit every day now for 15 days ("quitting day" was June 1st)... BTW, this is *not* the first time she has "quit"... :S

I am totally supportive of her kicking this habit... Just curious to see how others viewed quitting from their own experience?? And what is the best way to encourage her to keep NOT smoking??

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

There is no such thing as an ex-smoker, just someone who isn't smoking then. That person is a single puff away from smoking the rest of their life. My last cigarette was July 4th 2009. Even now I'll have a random craving, but the pull isn't as strong cor nearly as often. Actually I'm really happy that I quit and that is reinforced every time I'm around people smoking.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

i've tried to quit a thousand times, but this time for some reason, it stuck. i haven't wanted one nearly as bad as any other time and i think i'm done this time. that being said, i won't say i'm a non-smoker, just that i quit. but, if that's what she needs to hear for it to work for her, i say play along. it doesn't hurt anything.

The most important difference between the time I successfully quit (over 11 years ago) and the many other times I tried to quit was that, the last time, I never considered myself to be trying to quit. As soon as I put out my last cigarette, I began thinking of myself as a non-smoker. I wasn't trying to do anything. I did it.

Someone who looks at the process as trying to quit is not only acknowledging that failure is a very real possibility, he is setting himself up for that failure. Someone who honestly considers himself a non-smoker is putting cigarettes behind him and moving forward with the rest of his life without them.

Do or do not. There is no try.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

jcd11235

The most important difference between the time I successfully quit (over 11 years ago) and the many other times I tried to quit was that, the last time, I never considered myself to be trying to quit. As soon as I put out my last cigarette, I began thinking of myself as a non-smoker. I wasn't trying to do anything. I did it.

Someone who looks at the process as trying to quit is not only acknowledging that failure is a very real possibility, he is setting himself up for that failure. Someone who honestly considers himself a non-smoker is putting cigarettes behind him and moving forward with the rest of his life without them.

Do or do not. There is no try.

I totally agree with this. I became a non-smoker in November of 1983 and immediately considered myself such. I can honestly say from the moment I laid the last pack down (almost full) I have never desired another cigarette. I was a two pack a day smoker at the time.

I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

AggieDave

There is no such thing as an ex-smoker, just someone who isn't smoking then. That person is a single puff away from smoking the rest of their life. My last cigarette was July 4th 2009. Even now I'll have a random craving, but the pull isn't as strong cor nearly as often. Actually I'm really happy that I quit and that is reinforced every time I'm around people smoking.

Gotta disagree with ya there Dave
I quit smoking 15 years ago and as a part of quitting I said I was a non smoker from day one.
Im also a recovering druggie and alcoholic whilst im always one drug or drink away from relapsing. I can catagorically say ill never be a smoker again. I find nothing what so ever redeeming or appealing about it.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Nataly

Someone I know has "quit smoking"... And believe me, it's not that I want to pooh-pooh their efforts, but since I have never smoked it seems strange to me that this person would claim "I am a non-smoker" on the first day of quitting... And then proceed to post on FB how easy it was to quit every day now for 15 days ("quitting day" was June 1st)... BTW, this is *not* the first time she has "quit"... :S

I am totally supportive of her kicking this habit... Just curious to see how others viewed quitting from their own experience?? And what is the best way to encourage her to keep NOT smoking??

I disagree with Aggie dave.
I will never be a non-smoker. I am an ex-smoker.
I have not touched a cigarette in over a decade. I do not have cravings for them but, I DID smoke for about 10 yrs.

The thing with quitting is that you don't fully quit unti you are dead. Even after Approx 14 yrs of smoke free. If I smoked tomorrow I would NOT have quit. I would have paused.

However, EVERYTIME that I "quit" prior to this I learned something about how to deal with it.

I will never smoke a cigarette, again. I think its nasty and just the smell of it makes me wanna vomit sometimes.
I am an EX-SMOKER.
My photos

My Videos

If any thing we've seen in the reactions to this thread that it is a very personal journey. I didn't go through a quitting phase, I said I'm done and I was done. Any of you out there that quit notice the price for a pack now? Holy crap I'm glad I'm done with that!

AggieDave

Any of you out there that quit notice the price for a pack now? Holy crap I'm glad I'm done with that!

When I was 17, I worked at a gas station that sold cigarettes. It boggles the mind to see how many times the price has multiplied since then.:S

Oh, and I started smoking...and quit, during the time I worked there. I may have been crazy at the time, but I wasn't stupid.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

***Any of you out there that quit notice the price for a pack now? Holy crap I'm glad I'm done with that!

When I was 17, I worked at a gas station that sold cigarettes. It boggles the mind to see how many times the price has multiplied since then.:S

Oh, and I started smoking...and quit, during the time I worked there. I may have been crazy at the time, but I wasn't stupid.

Y'all are just a bunch of quitters!>:(
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

AggieDave

If any thing we've seen in the reactions to this thread that it is a very personal journey. I didn't go through a quitting phase, I said I'm done and I was done. Any of you out there that quit notice the price for a pack now? Holy crap I'm glad I'm done with that!

Dave you have no idea;)
Smokes are about $20 per pack here , rollies efen more
When I quit you could get change from $2 for a pack of smokes and a beer :|:|:ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Nataly

And what is the best way to encourage her to keep NOT smoking??

Every time she sounds like she might go back to it, slap her in the face.

In all seriousness, it seems like my friends who have quit quitting ( :D ) all got back into by having a smoke when they're drunk and it just snowballs from there. Soooo you can stalk her when she drinks, I guess?

Just remember, folks, if you only do something when you're drunk, you're still doing it. "I only beat my wife when I'm drunk" doesn't mean you're not a chick puncher.
cavete terrae.

AggieDave

Any of you out there that quit notice the price for a pack now? Holy crap I'm glad I'm done with that!

I feel that way about cigarettes and gasoline. Both have become far more expensive than I was ever willing to pay.

Giving up cigarettes and going car-free were the two best quality of life improvement decisions I've ever made (and not just for monetary reasons).

oldwomanc6

I suppose giving up your car when you live in the middle of the ocean is an easy decision! :P

Come to think of it cigs are probably scarce there, too. :ph34r:

I lived in Florida. Cars and cigarettes were both readily available. :D

oldwomanc6

If you give up smoking, you are all too likely to eat more.

I don't remember if I ate more or not. I had a pretty physical job at that time, so it didn't matter much if I did. I haven't had a problem with weight since I quit.

jcd11235

***If you give up smoking, you are all too likely to eat more.

I don't remember if I ate more or not. I had a pretty physical job at that time, so it didn't matter much if I did. I haven't had a problem with weight since I quit.

She was making fun of the typo.

But, I replaced my physical craving with water. I would drink water when I couldn't handle the crave. When I got too anxious I would do push ups.

it worked well.
My photos

My Videos

jtval

******If you give up smoking, you are all too likely to eat more.

She was making fun of the typo.

:D:D:D:D Oh NOOOOO!!! I hadn't spotted that!!!! DAMN IT!!!

Thanks for all the insights... It's good to hear different point of view - I have no personal frame of reference.
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Nataly

***[

Thanks for all the insights... It's good to hear different point of view - I have no personal frame of reference.

Well, in case anyone was wondering, there's only one POV that matters. Mine.:o

AD is wrong.:D

IBTL
IBAD
:ph34r:;)
My photos

My Videos

I hit other to be honest.

Me I didn't consider myself a non smoker till the feeling of need/ addiction or requirement had left me. Every one is different and how they handle it will be too. Its been over 8 years and since quitting, i have never experienced any craving or need for them. Regardless of the situation, I just don't need them anymore. For some people their triggers are drinking getting up or stress, every ones case is individual.

I am not a rabid ex smoker, people smoking doesn't bother me and I don't foam at the mouth. If they do its just something not important for me to think about anymore. Its all psychological

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

jtval

******[

Well, in case anyone was wondering, there's only one POV that matters. Mine.:o

AD is wrong.:D

IBTL
IBAD
:ph34r:;)

Hahaha!

A non-smoker is one who quits regardless of desire. I haven't smoked in years but I still 'need' one psychologically when someone dies, I break up with someone, or someone cuts me off in traffic... B| I think about it. I dismiss it. It's hard. It's really hard when smokers offer me one when I really want one. At least the higher prices keep people from being as enablingly generous now.

That's why they call it an addiction. However, you ante up and you deal with it even though it really sucks. Such is life...