grue

I just watched the footage from my first-ever time in the tunnel…

Blowfish

As someone who just had his first 30 minutes I would love to see that :D
For science!

Science cannot explain how embarrassed I was to take that stroll down memory lane.

This is the script:

INT: GRUE'S HOUSE - LIVING ROOM

A MAN is going through stuff on a bookshelf. We see only his shoulder and upper back as we peer over him at the pile of DVDs and books.

MAN
Oh wow my first tunnel DVD. That was a long time ago, I wonder how I looked

C/U: DVD being inserted into drive

Wide: Man, from behind, sitting on couch in foreground. We see only his head as he watches a large television playing in background.

INT - PERRIS TUNNEL

A FAT MAN flails about like an AFF-1 student who fell out without his instructors.

JUMP CUT:

INT - PERRIS TUNNEL

A FAT MAN flails about on his back like an autistic whale throwing a sky tantrum

JUMP CUT:

Extreme C/U:

Eyes, showing horror. We zoom out, showing MAN from the front for the first time. He's skinnier now, but has the thousand yard stare of a combat veteran.

MAN

But… but… I'm better now? Right? This was so many years ago!!

The man weeps.

FADE TO BLACK
cavete terrae.

Really? I like being able to see the progress I've made.

Then

Now

I can do that with my skydiving videos too...

Then

Now

Obviously I have a long way to go and I'm sure in a year the "now" videos will look as awkward to me as the "then" videos, but at least I can show progress. I think it's good to remember where you came from.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

FlyingRhenquest

Really? I like being able to see the progress I've made.

Then

Now

I can do that with my skydiving videos too...

Then

Now

Obviously I have a long way to go and I'm sure in a year the "now" videos will look as awkward to me as the "then" videos, but at least I can show progress. I think it's good to remember where you came from.

Oh I definitely know that's the way to look at it, I was just kinda horrified because I'd never seen the footage in the first place, I never watched it after the session
cavete terrae.

I had over 2000 jumps first time I stepped into a tunnel. Went in by myself, and... OMG. You would have thought a lottery was going off because I looked like a ping pong ball in there.

A few minutes later, 2nd jump, went in with a piece partner who had lots of tunnel time. Simply kept eye contact with him, and everything was fine, once I stopped hyperventilating ;):$

We are all engines of karma

StreetScooby

I had over 2000 jumps first time I stepped into a tunnel. Went in by myself, and... OMG. You would have thought a lottery was going off because I looked like a ping pong ball in there.

A few minutes later, 2nd jump, went in with a piece partner who had lots of tunnel time. Simply kept eye contact with him, and everything was fine, once I stopped hyperventilating ;):$

One of the tunnel instructors I talked to told me this happens all the time with experienced skydivers who have never been in the tunnel before. It's a completely different set of visual clues in there, and takes some getting used to. I actually have more tunnel time than freefall time at the moment, which I think might qualify me for "tunnel rat" status. Funnily enough I actually get more jittery before going in the tunnel than I do riding to altitude! Soon as they turn the big fan on, I'm fine. Dunno what's up with that.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

FlyingRhenquest

***I had over 2000 jumps first time I stepped into a tunnel. Went in by myself, and... OMG. You would have thought a lottery was going off because I looked like a ping pong ball in there.

One of the tunnel instructors I talked to told me this happens all the time with experienced skydivers who have never been in the tunnel before. It's a completely different set of visual clues in there, and takes some getting used to.

Yeah similar case with me. second time I looked substantially better, and you could see the improvement each round, but still… damn B|
cavete terrae.

FlyingRhubarb

I love the then and now videos. Here's mine...
https://vimeo.com/68456058

Sweet! That's just awesome! About how many hours of flying is that? I'm still uncomfortable on my back in the tunnel but kind of enjoy it in the sky where I can slide a ways without whanging my head into a wall!

My original goal with the tunnel was to learn to fly better for my skydiving, but right now I have more tunnel time than freefall time. It's fun to just go down there and put in 10 minutes on something a couple times a month.