FlyingRhenquest

ROAD RAGE!!!!!111!11one

BillyVance

Oh and in the past, I've been stuck behind 18 wheelers driving side-by-side on 2 lanes, with both going exactly the same speed without any intention of moving up and over, for several miles. Goddamn assholes.

I hate when that happens! [:/]

This has happened to me more times than I can count!!

About 25 years ago, I was headed east on I40 about 30 miles west of Albuquerque. Two big-rigs were in the right lane doing about 60, and just as I was set to pass them, the rear-most pulled directly in front of me. >:( Not a lot I could do, but wait for one of them to give me enough space to pass. I was muttering semi-curses as the cars started to stack up behind us.

The trucks stayed side-by-side for 5 miles!

The cars started piling up behind us to the tune of several dozen.:S

By this time, I'm sure I wasn't the only one really pissed off!

Not only were the trucks side by side on this highway (which was rolling up and down), but they never got above the freaking speed limit (55 at the time).

Just as we crested the "hill" and could see the lights of Albuquerque, LOW and BEHOLD! there were a half dozen cops just waiting for us (running radar, I assume). NOT A SINGLE PERSON IN THIS GROUP WAS PULLED OVER!

At that point, I took back every curse I aimed at these "asshole" truckers.:$ I'm sure I'm not the only one! :ph34r:
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

oldwomanc6

I hate when that happens! [:/]

This has happened to me more times than I can count!!

About 25 years ago, I was headed east on I40 about 30 miles west of Albuquerque. Two big-rigs were in the right lane doing about 60, and just as I was set to pass them, the rear-most pulled directly in front of me. >:( Not a lot I could do, but wait for one of them to give me enough space to pass. I was muttering semi-curses as the cars started to stack up behind us.

The trucks stayed side-by-side for 5 miles!

The cars started piling up behind us to the tune of several dozen.:S

By this time, I'm sure I wasn't the only one really pissed off!

Not only were the trucks side by side on this highway (which was rolling up and down), but they never got above the freaking speed limit (55 at the time).

Just as we crested the "hill" and could see the lights of Albuquerque, LOW and BEHOLD! there were a half dozen cops just waiting for us (running radar, I assume). NOT A SINGLE PERSON IN THIS GROUP WAS PULLED OVER!

At that point, I took back every curse I aimed at these "asshole" truckers.:$ I'm sure I'm not the only one! :ph34r:

I used to have a roommate who was a truck driver.
I learned a *lot* about their world from the stories he told.
Like your story, the reason for a truckers behavior is not always immediately obvious.
Also figured out I never wanted to get one PO'd.:ph34r:
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

Like your story, the reason for a truckers behavior is not always immediately obvious.

I used to have to drive a lot for my job and had a CB in the car. So I used to talk to them a lot. Good folk, and they have to put up with a bunch of crap from non-professional drivers. They also have the best information about road conditions for the next few hundred miles.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

oldwoman - Just as we crested the "hill" and could see the lights of Albuquerque, LOW and BEHOLD! there were a half dozen cops just waiting for us (running radar, I assume). NOT A SINGLE PERSON IN THIS GROUP WAS PULLED OVER!

ryoder

It makes a lot of these self righteous road tantrum stories a bit amusing too. I also don't get upset at drivers that are going the speed limit, even if I want to go faster. I find it funny when people brag about about how mad they get, like losing control is something noble instead of childish.

It's driving, it's a minor deal in the scheme of things. Getting the blood up is a complete waste of energy.

peeves here.....I'd prefer people use their signals. I'd like them to just stop at stop lights and signs (and take their turns correctly), not sit and creep forward like idiots. Turn into their lanes correctly and not cut the corners so tight. Don't encroach the intersection if they can't drive. Stop running red lights. Driving is about aggressively following the rules so we know what each other is doing. It's not about being nice - it's about being predictable. texting - I don't really care if they are talking unless it affects their driving, but then that should be the first thing to put down - I avoid it as much as possible.

Most issues I see indicate laziness or selfishness. Most violators I see (in my area) - kids (idiots), housewives (selfish driving), real estate agents (reckless/selfish), well dress middle aged men in luxury cars (selfish), some newly entered female citizens from certain countries (dangerously clueless and dangerously conservative).

We should have periodic practical testing to keep a license, especially past some certain age point. We're teaching our daughter now and that awareness really makes us note how much rule breaking and safety violations happen every single second on the road.

It's really bad.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Also figured out I never wanted to get one PO'd

During disasters, truckers are the lifeline of equipment & supplies. During Hurricane Wilma, I had no less than 2,000 trucks at the staging area (West Palm Beach Fairgrounds). I always made sure that one of our kitchen tents was setup not only as a dining hall, but a rec area for the truckers. Games, cards, magazines, Big Screen with lotsa DVD's, etc. Treat them with respect and they will drive through 50 MPH winds to get to the staging area before landfall.

Those guys have to put up with so much shit from every angle; dispatchers, wrong information about delivery times, folks lying to them about the truck weight for which they get the fine, stupid drivers, and my favorite is the DOT regs that limit their ability to make more money for more work.etc. Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of lazy fucks that can bog you down during a disaster; but 90% of them realize why they're there and just pitch in to help. No charge. On the whole, they're good folks just trying to make a living.

At one point, I had a truckload of cots that I'd brought down for forestry and cached on the pavement. My team got focused on setting up the LSA... Turned around for ten minutes and about 30 cots were gone. I went ballistic cause they were for the SAR teams.

One of the more respected truckers amongst the truckers whom I'd used many times before came over and asked what was wrong, so I told him. He said go back in the mess tent and have a cup of coffee for a bit. Knowing what was up, I did as suggested.

Ten minutes later he came in the tent, grabbed a cup of coffee and sat down next to me. Not only were they returned. There were extras and he said the truckers would be appreciative if we gave any leftover cots to the local Boy Scouts when we left.

Nothing but respect for those guys. Even when one of them pisses me off on the road... he gets a pass.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

ryoder

You know, speaking of PO'd truck drivers, I've pissed a couple off over the years. One even went far enough to chase me onto the exit ramp and come to a stop halfway INTO the road off the end of the ramp after I scrambled off. Good thing there weren't anybody coming or they would have smacked into his side. :S Truck drivers CANNOT lose their tempers. They can lose their CDLs as a result if something happens. He wouldn't move the fuck over or out of the way and there weren't a cop for miles! Flipped him off and HE gets pissy. :|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Nothing but respect for those guys. Even when one of them pisses me off on the road... he gets a pass.

Same here ~ they're 'at work' when on the road, I wouldn't want someone making MY job harder than necessary so I give commercial drivers the nod and try to stay out of their way.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

MikeJD

...but you only have recourse to the horn or the finger - both of which are guaranteed to provoke a negative reaction...

I wish cars all had two horns: the current one which is the negative horn, and then a more light-hearted tone which would be the "thank you" horn...

...so I could use it sarcastically.

JohnMitchell

Road rage cracks me up. I just ignore them.

Or sometimes call the cops.

If they knew I was packing, they'd probably f-off. :P

My favorite! - http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nDYcfycWVOk

I love how he leads them down a deserted road before stopping. :D
Remember you don't stop laughing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop laughing.

rehmwa

It's not about being nice - it's about being predictable.

I do about 4-5000 miles/year cycling (i.e. a bicycle), and this is a *huge* pet peeve!>:(
There seems to be a subclass of motorists who think there is a whole different set of traffic rules that take effect just because there is a bicycle present, and they do stupid, unpredictable thing on the pretense that they are being "polite". Example:

I'm on a side street, waiting to cross a 4-lane street, and some idiot stops on the thru street, then motions for me to cross, while three other lanes of traffic are going by at 45mph! No moron, I don't want to be road kill.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

NorrinRadd

Folks who try to force their way through a busy downtown intersection, then get stuck blocking the whole intersection when the light changes.
It is so easy to prevent: If there is no room for your car on the far side of the intersection, stay put.

I agree. But then you get people turning right on red from the cross street who will take advantage of your patience and fill the gap you are waiting for. No good deed goes unpunished.

The most common pet peeve I have in my daily commute is where two lanes merge down to one. It occurs in multiple places to and from work. I drive a big slow van so I always choose the lane that isn’t going away so I don’t have to merge. I try to maintain a consistent speed and be predictable in these zones. As I understand it when the sign reads “LEFT LANE ENDS MERGE RIGHT” the drivers in that left lane should yield the right of way to the drivers whose lane isn’t disappearing. Despite that I’ll still give way to those merging drivers. I just can’t compete with the smaller more nimble cars. Every day in at least one of these situations someone will pass on the left long after the zone is gone and drive in the opposing lane toward oncoming traffic. They will inevitably have to cut me off to avoid that oncoming traffic. Twice in the last year forcing me and oncoming traffic onto our respective shoulders to avoid an accident.

Tough to keep my composure when that happens but I am trying really hard to be a better person. Not always successfully.

david3

The most common pet peeve I have in my daily commute is where two lanes merge down to one.

I'll stay in the lane that's merging, moving slowly with the merged traffic, c^%$ blocking all those folks that think they should get to zoom past the politely merged drivers to cut into the front of the line. Why in the hell do they think they are more important than everyone else? Sure, I've pissed off a lot of zoomers, but the merged folks ALWAYS save me a place in line. ;)

Is this wrong?:D

JohnMitchell

The most common pet peeve I have in my daily commute is where two lanes merge down to one.

I'll stay in the lane that's merging, moving slowly with the merged traffic, c^%$ blocking all those folks that think they should get to zoom past the politely merged drivers to cut into the front of the line. Why in the hell do they think they are more important than everyone else? Sure, I've pissed off a lot of zoomers, but the merged folks ALWAYS save me a place in line. ;)

Is this wrong?:D

Not if ya got a permit for that thing! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Left lane, slow driver: I understand that they think "I am driving the speed limit! You are all criminals." and they are correct. But what they can do this in the left lane without forcing you to swerve twice in order pass them. This can be a controlling passive-aggressive behavior.
What you can do to help: once you are in front of them, take a minute and instead of speeding off take time to educate your fellow traveler in a friendly way.
Take your foot off the gas. Don't brake. Don't signal, just slow down. At some point the driver will give up the left lane and move to the right. At this point, just accelerate smoothly to your desired speed.

The slow driving club: We all know these people, just like forum trolls they call each other up and coordinate their drive schedule. It makes sense to them to drive 5 miles under the speed limit because slower=safer and better safe than sorry. They fail to realize that matching speed with someone is dangerous because you are limiting your own ability to swerve for an obstacle, you are limiting your own field of view and it prevents you from being able to anticipate the other driver's intentions because you just can't see them that well in that configuration. As the driver coming up from behind, you have very limited options. It is illegal to tailgate in many jurisdictions. A 2 burst honk-honk together with a flash of lights can be a polite way to alert them to your desire to pass, but can sometimes be seen as an aggressive interaction. There is nothing that can be done against them but wait for the configuration to change and then continue on your merry way.

Distracted drivers: I saw a teenage girl driving while talking on the phone, applying makeup, drinking coffee and smoking a cigarette while driving quite well at high speed. Driving is just not that much of a brain teaser to some. And I have a friend who is thirtysomething, responsible adult who has been driving for ~20 years and even with the radio off, at slow speeds with no other distractions he is the most scatter brained driver ever. Driving is just too much for some people. Instead of "hang up and drive" maybe we should say "Drive or hang up" if you can't do both then pick one.

Turn signals: are for the weak and timid.

The long honk: when you honk at someone, make it count. I like to give a long 10-12 second honk to offending drivers. This honk will usually last for much much longer than the offence and is not meant as a punishment but rather a warning to all other drivers around that that driver sucks. I would like to see a website where people can enter in license plates with offences or moments of awesome they witnessed. Maybe if you are an habitual abuser, this will get karma to notice you a bit sooner.

The cut-in drivers: this is called "exercise 17C" where you go into the exit lane and pass 5-6 cars in traffic while screwing everyone. On the one hand: the person doing this is douche-bag, on the other hand: they might just be confused or lost and are having a oops moment (it's not like they can reverse to the back of the line) and on the gripping hand: if someone is making an honest mistake, I want to be the good guy and let them in and if someone is that much of a sociopath as to cut in on purpose I don't want to fuck with them unless I am packing.

There are only three kinds of drivers:
maniacs: people who think you are in their way
idiots:people that you think are in your way
you
There are no dangerous dives
Only dangerous divers

decompresion

The long honk: when you honk at someone, make it count. I like to give a long 10-12 second honk to offending drivers. This honk will usually last for much much longer than the offence and is not meant as a punishment but rather a warning to all other drivers around that that driver sucks. I would like to see a website where people can enter in license plates with offences or moments of awesome they witnessed. Maybe if you are an habitual abuser, this will get karma to notice you a bit sooner.

Ask theonlyski about his horn!

decompresion

The cut-in drivers: this is called "exercise 17C" where you go into the exit lane and pass 5-6 cars in traffic while screwing everyone. On the one hand: the person doing this is douche-bag, on the other hand: they might just be confused or lost and are having a oops moment (it's not like they can reverse to the back of the line) and on the gripping hand: if someone is making an honest mistake, I want to be the good guy and let them in and if someone is that much of a sociopath as to cut in on purpose I don't want to fuck with them unless I am packing.

When I moved to VA, a friend did this while I was a passenger in her car. She calls it 'picking her bitch' which is kind of funny and now I find myself calling it that too.

I've been pulled over more times that I care to admit since moving to a more rural area, and it sucks. To that point, I started really obeying speed limits in certain areas that I know are speed traps. I'm always amazed at how many drivers who see the same posted speed limit signs that I do, are up my ass in frustration. I almost want to get a custom car magnet bumper sticker explaining that if you see me strictly following posted speed limits, there's a reason. Or this one...

decompresion

I don't want to fuck with them unless I am packing.

There are only three kinds of drivers:
maniacs: people who think you are in their way
idiots:people that you think are in your way
you

Ah, some good points.

The packing thing? Although I don't roll over and go passive, I find I'm a lot LESS likely to honk or make a move when I'm packing. Always gotta consider how it will look in court. ;)

I like it. B|

I'm usually in the left lane, going as much over the limit as I think I can get away with. But I keep my rear view mirror in my scan for 2 reasons.

1- Keeping an eye out for cops, duh!:D

2- Watching for an even faster driver who wants to pass. I try to move over as soon as practical, even if I have to slow to fit into the next lane.

I've had the pleasure of driving in Europe where they go fast and appear to pay attention. Us Americans could learn a thing or two.;)

Earlier this week I was on the freeway going to the wind tunnel with Vskydiver, driving her cute little red Fiat. I moved over to let some big truck coming up pass. I didn't even look over but she said I got the bird from the guy. Really? I got out of your way, buddy.

From the size of the truck, maybe he was just upset about his penis. :P

grasshoppergirl

Many states have these laws on the books, but I have never heard of it being enforced. [:/] I can't even count the number of times where I have seen a cop following some slowpoke in the left lane for an extended period only to finally pull over into the right lane and pass the oblivious driver instead of pulling the snail over.

It would be refreshing if more states followed suit and ramped up enforcement of this particular law.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

oldwomanc6

Many states have these laws on the books, but I have never heard of it being enforced. [:/] I can't even count the number of times where I have seen a cop following some slowpoke in the left lane for an extended period only to finally pull over into the right lane and pass the oblivious driver instead of pulling the snail over.

It would be refreshing if more states followed suit and ramped up enforcement of this particular law.

move over or pay

goes into effect here july 1st
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!