LookUpHigh

Ever given up everything for a dream?

I left everything when I was 23 and went to work at a DZ, making little. Had a wonderful time.

Then I realized that I wanted some of that future comfort stuff that required more preparation than $75 a week would buy :ph34r:, so I went back and got a job.

You're 24. Do not cash in the 401K -- let it sit there and gather interest slowly. Put a little in each year (it's a good discipline). And go do something wild. It may turn out that it's not for you, but then it'll be an experience you can look back at for the rest of your life.

There are certain songs on the radio that are still indelibly connected to that fall, 35 years later. and it's a good thing.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Has anyone ever given up everything for a dream?

You first have to define your dream..... Then recognize that "the dream" changes at different points in your life.

When I was 20 all I wanted to do was chase women and skydive.
When I was 25 I wanted to chase a World Championship.
When I was 30 I wanted to make sure I had fun, but made a good living so I would not be broke and poor.
When I was 35 I wanted to be with my wife, have some cool hobby's, and make sure WE are not broke.
Now that I am 40 I want to continue to make my Wife happy, want another aerobatic plane, and want to make sure WE can retire someday.

In the process I have done *almost* everything I wanted. I didn't get a World Championship, But I have won 2nd in Open, won second in 16way/10way. Won the GodFrog and Judges Choice awards.... Plus a bunch of Demo's, taught numerous AFF and Tandem students, and met meany cool people. In addition, I have a wife I love, a house, a dog, an aerobatic plane, and an actual savings account with money in it!

At 20 if you had offered me my 40's dream, I'd have laughed at you. But if you offered me my 20's dream today, I'd politely say no thanks.

In the end, the only person you need to make happy is you (till you get married or have kids).

So define what you want... What you REALLY want, not just the flashy dream, the WHOLE dream. And then be flexible enough to know it might (will?) change.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

LookUpHigh

Has anyone ever given up everything for a dream? Quit your job, sold your house, had to deal with family and friends opposing it, etc..... I'd love to hear about your story. You could say I have the "ideal life" in some ways, and i'm just not satisfied by it. I don't make tons of money or have a trophy wife or what have you, but i have a secure job and a pretty nice house and car and some good friends. But i see everyone settling down around me and doing the wife and kids and 401k thing, and i know in my heart that its just not for me. At least not yet. After all my life experiences, good and bad, i just know theres so much more to see and experience and learn.

You're asking skydivers if they've ever given everything up for a dream?
Sounds like a stacked audience in my opinion.
I bet if you ask "NORMAL" people you'd get a completely different response. But, you weren't really looking for a "normal" answer, were you?
My photos

My Videos

jtval

***Has anyone ever given up everything for a dream? Quit your job, sold your house, had to deal with family and friends opposing it, etc..... I'd love to hear about your story. You could say I have the "ideal life" in some ways, and i'm just not satisfied by it. I don't make tons of money or have a trophy wife or what have you, but i have a secure job and a pretty nice house and car and some good friends. But i see everyone settling down around me and doing the wife and kids and 401k thing, and i know in my heart that its just not for me. At least not yet. After all my life experiences, good and bad, i just know theres so much more to see and experience and learn.

You're asking skydivers if they've ever given everything up for a dream?
Sounds like a stacked audience in my opinion.
I bet if you ask "NORMAL" people you'd get a completely different response. But, you weren't really looking for a "normal" answer, were you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1iV24hL8Rk
:P

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I've made some big changes a couple of times... It never made "financial sense" at the time and required big sacrifices along the way but it has paid off in the end.

People who care about you will naturally be concerned if you start heading toward uncertainty... They don't want you to do anything that might jeopardise your happiness/success... And sometimes pursuing your dreams is a risky business... But I really believe that being true to yourself (despite the risks) is more likely to bring you happiness (and success) than doing something that clearly just makes you miserable.
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Thank you for your post Nataly, it really hit home for me. And Everyone else, thank you for sharing your stories and offering up advice. I always enjoy getting different perspectives on things and you guys are definitely an interesting bunch. And I really appreciate those who said something from the heart.

have a read up on Regrets of the Dying.

1. I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.

"This was the most common regret of all. When people realise that their life is almost over and look back clearly on it, it is easy to see how many dreams have gone unfulfilled. Most people had not honoured even a half of their dreams and had to die knowing that it was due to choices they had made, or not made. Health brings a freedom very few realise, until they no longer have it."

2. I wish I hadn't worked so hard.

"This came from every male patient that I nursed. They missed their children's youth and their partner's companionship. Women also spoke of this regret, but as most were from an older generation, many of the female patients had not been breadwinners. All of the men I nursed deeply regretted spending so much of their lives on the treadmill of a work existence."

3. I wish I'd had the courage to express my feelings.

"Many people suppressed their feelings in order to keep peace with others. As a result, they settled for a mediocre existence and never became who they were truly capable of becoming. Many developed illnesses relating to the bitterness and resentment they carried as a result."

4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.

"Often they would not truly realise the full benefits of old friends until their dying weeks and it was not always possible to track them down. Many had become so caught up in their own lives that they had let golden friendships slip by over the years. There were many deep regrets about not giving friendships the time and effort that they deserved. Everyone misses their friends when they are dying."

5. I wish that I had let myself be happier.

"This is a surprisingly common one. Many did not realise until the end that happiness is a choice. They had stayed stuck in old patterns and habits. The so-called 'comfort' of familiarity overflowed into their emotions, as well as their physical lives. Fear of change had them pretending to others, and to their selves, that they were content, when deep within, they longed to laugh properly and have silliness in their life again."

strife

1. I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.

"This was the most common regret of all. When people realise that their life is almost over and look back clearly on it, it is easy to see how many dreams have gone unfulfilled. Most people had not honoured even a half of their dreams and had to die knowing that it was due to choices they had made, or not made. Health brings a freedom very few realise, until they no longer have it."

"This came from every male patient that I nursed. They missed their children's youth and their partner's companionship. Women also spoke of this regret, but as most were from an older generation, many of the female patients had not been breadwinners. All of the men I nursed deeply regretted spending so much of their lives on the treadmill of a work existence."

"Many people suppressed their feelings in order to keep peace with others. As a result, they settled for a mediocre existence and never became who they were truly capable of becoming. Many developed illnesses relating to the bitterness and resentment they carried as a result."

"Often they would not truly realise the full benefits of old friends until their dying weeks and it was not always possible to track them down. Many had become so caught up in their own lives that they had let golden friendships slip by over the years. There were many deep regrets about not giving friendships the time and effort that they deserved. Everyone misses their friends when they are dying."

"This is a surprisingly common one. Many did not realise until the end that happiness is a choice. They had stayed stuck in old patterns and habits. The so-called 'comfort' of familiarity overflowed into their emotions, as well as their physical lives. Fear of change had them pretending to others, and to their selves, that they were content, when deep within, they longed to laugh properly and have silliness in their life again."

I'm trying to figure out how to phrase this.

Most people don't have the "luxury" of realizing that "This is it" long enough to have much in the way of regrets. People live their lives, doing as they think best at the time. Then most of them die without much forewarning. Most people never get much in the way of self-awareness, either.

They just live their lives. This is neither bad or good. It just is.

We, who have done much that most will never do, tend to think that we are somehow "superior" to the unwashed masses.

Those who live long enough to have regrets, many times, realise that we really aren't any different.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

strife

Wow, these are the kind of feelings I have in my heart and soul. I'll never forget coming to terms with my mortality and the end of it all, and how I would live my life if I had known how short it truly is. I feel I owe it to myself to live freely and happily and as deep as possible for the fact I was given a second chance let alone a fucking first chance to even begin with. I think about all the good people who died much to young and all the elderly wishing they had one more day. I'm afraid of taking for granted all that life has to offer. I've been trying to do the things I was afraid to or society told me was too dangerous or stupid. But it's so hard to not get caught up in the grind that makes us so bitter, I see my friends falling victim to their jobs and wives and "what dad says I should do". It's so easy to shun your true happiness away because "that's just silly" and "what would so-and-so think". It's scary to follow your heart, but most the time it pays off in beautiful ways. I don't know man, "the norm" is a heavy shackle but I'm trying to break free. Here's to freedom!

Most people don't have the "luxury" of realizing that "This is it" long enough to have much in the way of regrets. People live their lives, doing as they think best at the time. Then most of them die without much forewarning. Most people never get much in the way of self-awareness, either.

We, who have done much that most will never do, tend to think that we are somehow "superior" to the unwashed masses.

Those who live long enough to have regrets, many times, realise that we really aren't any different.

Gee...you're as much fun as a bullfrog in bucket of butterflies! :P

As my old pappy once told me ~ your life is a blank page, write anything you want to on it...but remember - OTHER people are reading it.

So I've always tried not to do anything I would 'regret' someone reading.

And I think I'm VERY self aware - I'm a speck on a rock spinning through space. No more no less - I'm fine with that as it kinda makes me wanna make every moment count.

I don't think I'm any different than most people once ya peel the onion. :)

airtwardo

And I think I'm VERY self aware - I'm a speck on a rock spinning through space. No more no less - I'm fine with that as it kinda makes me wanna make every moment count.

And crawling, on the planet's face, some insects, called the human race.
Lost in time, and lost in space... and meaning.
:|
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

:|

To be or not to be. -- Shakespeare

To do is to be. -- Nietzsche

To be is to do. -- Sartre

Do be do be do. -- Frank Sinatra.

:ph34r:

airtwardo

Gee...you're as much fun as a bullfrog in bucket of butterflies! :P

As my old pappy once told me ~ your life is a blank page, write anything you want to on it...but remember - OTHER people are reading it.

So I've always tried not to do anything I would 'regret' someone reading.

I don't think I'm any different than most people once ya peel the onion. :)

That is one of the points I was trying to articulate.

Most people who are self- aware realize they aren't any different than most of the the rest of the schmucks.

Ribbit! :P
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

ryoder

:| and wearing fishnets and garters;)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?