LookUpHigh

Ever given up everything for a dream?

Has anyone ever given up everything for a dream? Quit your job, sold your house, had to deal with family and friends opposing it, etc..... I'd love to hear about your story. You could say I have the "ideal life" in some ways, and i'm just not satisfied by it. I don't make tons of money or have a trophy wife or what have you, but i have a secure job and a pretty nice house and car and some good friends. But i see everyone settling down around me and doing the wife and kids and 401k thing, and i know in my heart that its just not for me. At least not yet. After all my life experiences, good and bad, i just know theres so much more to see and experience and learn.

After all my life experiences...

Your post sounds like you're going through a mid-life crisis or are at least considering the ones other people may have gone through. I wouldn't worry about it yet.

How old are you? 24? I might have a pair of shoes older than that. ;)

You can not foresee the future at all. You can not ever know if a choice you make today is awesome or horrible. What may seem like a great choice today might haunt your dreams 10 years from now and fortunately the opposite is true as well.

The only thing you can really do is try to do the right thing in the moment. That's it.

You want "future you" to have an awesome life. Plan for that, but understand life changes in the blink of an eye.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Yeah...I use to live at the beach in San Diego, rode my Harley to the DZ during the week and would jump my ass off practicing for the weekend...when I would fly some to new exotic place and get paid ridiculous amounts of money to skydive into some airshow, motor speedway or football game...

Finally decided to 'follow my dream'...so I opened a 401k, got married, traded in the Vette for a Ford Explorer. Then picked up three dogs, three kids & a lawn mower.

Lovin' every minute of it!! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

airtwardo

Yeah...I use to live at the beach in San Diego, rode my Harley to the DZ during the week and would jump my ass off practicing for the weekend...when I would fly some to new exotic place and get paid ridiculous amounts of money to skydive into some airshow, motor speedway or football game...

Finally decided to 'follow my dream'...so I opened a 401k, got married, traded in the Vette for a Ford Explorer. Then picked up three dogs, three kids & a lawn mower.

I smell some bullshit here - this from the guy that took an airplane up during his college days with his best friend so he could bang his girl while you flew?! Don't lie - your Harley was a shadow and the Vette was a pinto!
If you do things that don't make you appreciate life than why do them

airtwardo

You forgot to mention the Red hot soul stealer;)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Tried to. In 2009 (I was 33) I quit my comfortable job that was paying me more than I needed to be earning and taking up more of my life than I wanted it to. Sold the condo (at a loss). Moved into my brother's basement rent free.

Plan was to go backpacking in New Zealand for three months, Eastern Europe for three months, and South America for three months, then come home and start a business in a completely different industry.

Went to NZ and loved it. (My first skydive, too.) Decided I wanted to move there. Ended up going back to work for the same company, but as an independent contractor, because I could sell that to NZ immigration.

It worked for two years. Earned more than I'd been earning before and was able to do it from Taupo and live fifteen minutes from the dropzone.

I don't for a moment regret making the choice I did. I am ten times happier (if not more) with the life I'm living now.

Keep in mind, I planned that move for about a year before making it. Even then, it did not turn out at all how I'd planned it.

And stepping away from a professional career is not a choice to be made lightly. I was fortunate enough to be able to make things work. It could've just as easily gone to hell. (When I got back from that first trip to NZ I had $200 in the bank and no job. And that was with planning things out.)

AdamUSN

***Yeah...I use to live at the beach in San Diego, rode my Harley to the DZ during the week and would jump my ass off practicing for the weekend...when I would fly some to new exotic place and get paid ridiculous amounts of money to skydive into some airshow, motor speedway or football game...

I smell some bullshit here - this from the guy that took an airplane up during his college days with his best friend so he could bang his girl while you flew?! Don't lie - your Harley was a shadow and the Vette was a pinto!

:D:D:D WANNA BET?! >:(

Oh it gets even better than THAT...

My roomie at the beach owned a parachute loft...his dad was 'Mr. Bubble' - yeah THAT Mr.Bubble...Gold Seal Corp..snowy bleach...etc. I got my PADI card from his brother, who was the Governor of North Dakota, one Christmas down in Akumal...we'd shore dive from the beach at their 'little' sea side vacation home.

I meet this cute lil' redhead aerobatic pilot while performing airshows one year and we hook up long term...did I mention she's also a 767 Captain for a major airline? ...anyway, we end up adopting 3 kids from Russia and dragging them all over the world with us...did I tell ya about the time Harrison Ford gave me my triple diamond wings while I was performing at the world's largest air show?

But back to your point...the bullshit 'pinto'. ~ Trust me, IF i wanted to make something up about livin' the dream...it would be a LOT more imaginative than driving a fast red car! :ph34r:;):)

LookUpHigh

But i see everyone settling down around me and doing the wife and kids and 401k thing, and i know in my heart that its just not for me.

You can't have it all, but you can have a lot. I've got the wife (a trophy, I think;)), the kids and the 401K, but we've also jumped a lot, traveled around a little, and had A LOT of fun.

I think there's a balance somewhere. :)

airtwardo

******Yeah...I use to live at the beach in San Diego, rode my Harley to the DZ during the week and would jump my ass off practicing for the weekend...when I would fly some to new exotic place and get paid ridiculous amounts of money to skydive into some airshow, motor speedway or football game...

My roomie at the beach owned a parachute loft...his dad was 'Mr. Bubble' - yeah THAT Mr.Bubble...Gold Seal Corp..snowy bleach...etc. I got my PADI card from his brother, who was the Governor of North Dakota, one Christmas down in Akumal...we'd shore dive from the beach at their 'little' sea side vacation home.

I meet this cute lil' redhead aerobatic pilot while performing airshows one year and we hook up long term...did I mention she's also a 767 Captain for a major airline? ...anyway, we end up adopting 3 kids from Russia and dragging them all over the world with us...did I tell ya about the time Harrison Ford gave me my triple diamond wings while I was performing at the world's largest air show?

But back to your point...the bullshit 'pinto'. :ph34r:;):)

Ya just think years ago when I first started here I read your theme - anyone who doesn't is missing out! I remember something about turbulence and oh ahh!

Can you call In a favor to Harrison and have him come to Virginia to tell us to "get off my plane?"

Stay golden ponyboy!

AdamUSN

*********Yeah...I use to live at the beach in San Diego, rode my Harley to the DZ during the week and would jump my ass off practicing for the weekend...when I would fly some to new exotic place and get paid ridiculous amounts of money to skydive into some airshow, motor speedway or football game...

But back to your point...the bullshit 'pinto'. :ph34r:;):)

Ya just think years ago when I first started here I read your theme - anyone who doesn't is missing out! I remember something about turbulence and oh ahh!

Can you call In a favor to Harrison and have him come to Virginia to tell us to "get off my plane?"

Stay golden ponyboy!

Will do! B|:ph34r:

Since I have given nothing to this thread but Twardo is apparently the man! Here goes.

I'm 35 yrs old. I have fought in Iraq and Afghanistan. I have done more things and had more ambitions than a lot of my friends.

I started skydiving because the woman I loved left me. I have been around military dz operations for many years. So I started jumping. I made 76 jumps quickly an stopped to be with a new girl. I deployed often and never got back into it. Over the last 4 months I have been broken up after 3 years and I have made 50 jumps in Dubai traveling 5 times in 4 months.

Now I have given up on many hobbies. The people that I meet skydiving are great. I love them. There are a few things I hate, pot smokers-I'm career navy and I was a basically a grunt. So whatever

I gave up everything I ever knew 2 years ago now to change jobs learn a new skill and basically do different things. Sold the house, moved and came back to the same area.

If its your dream and it makes you happy brother, do it. The day you hate going to work is the day you need to research better options.

Not married? Use some online dating sites to help get in a few extra flings. PoF is good. Make a profile that is funny, includes funny off the wall statements and pictures where you are the center of attention. Pm me if you want great hints haha.

I don't mind being me, I'm a dick/prick, I am fun and after people know me they understand me and we alway have a great time.

Follow your dreams man, that's what makes you happy!

Adam

Hi Look,

Something to consider; from the first edition of Skies Call:

If I could retrieve the fortune I have spent,
worrying where it came from, not caring where it went,
I could live the heady lifestyle of Playboy magazine.
I would see the worldly sight that still remain unseen.

It must amount to thousands I’ve squandered on the sport.
The mark of any jumper, a balance close to naught.
But if I had it back in one financial lump I’d go south in the winter
and jump and jump and jump.

JerryBaumchen

Yes I'm 24. But I think my age is irrelevant here. I appreciate the advice though. When you say life changes in the blink of an eye, I understand that more than you can imagine, my "life experiences" have taught me that more than anything. I also have seen that it can end in the blink of an eye. Which is something else that brings me here. Another reason I have been doing the things in life that I dreamt about or feared. Life is short but it is vast, and I have begun to refuse taking people's word on what I should do and what life is about, although I dissect most of it and take into consideration what I feel is important. I don't know what I want out of life, but I know I want to live it. I was given the gift of life, twice I believe, and I think it would be a damn shame if I wasted it.

I'm simply just curious about peoples own adventures and stories they can share. Just for fun. Not so much for direction or advice, though it is nice of you to offer it guys.

airtwardo

I don't think ya are at ALL...YOU i'd like to jump with!! B|

I'd just like to learn life experience from you! I have some uniques I will tell you in 75 years that will marvel average people and explain why I do things.

Adam

Ive been living the dream of a homeless broke skydiver travelling around the world for about the past 4 years.

Its not about giving everything up but about deciding what is really important to you. I spent my early 20s building a career that would suit this lifestyle, being a tradesman working in the mining industry allows me the income and employment options to help me travel.
I live a very minimalist lifestyle and have very few financial obligations. I dont own very much of anything and I havent financed ANYTHING since my student loans. Ive typically only worked about 6 months per year for the last 5 years. Not having any debt makes being unemployed quite easy. I buy piece of crap cars or use public transport, rent rooms instead of having my own place.
I depend very heavily on friends to help me out during my travels. My lifestyle really wouldnt be possible without them :)
I also to try to put a bit of money away for the future and always have a plan to fall back on.

I really love the lifestyle I have been living but it takes alot of hard work, sacrifice and planning to build this lifestyle for myself.
It was never about giving up everything, it has been about doing everything ive always wantedB|

Edited to add that Im getting on a plane tonight to start another jumping adventure around Australia. See ya in a couple months:P

Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

Great post, thank you. I bet it has changed you a lot. I like the idea of being somewhat minimalist. Although I'm sure it'll be very hard at times to give up having the creature comforts and privacy i have at my disposal. I feel like it would be good for my soul to give them up though. I also think it would be necessary in order to understand and appreciate how much I have.

hcsvader

I wouldn't say it has changed me but rather allow me to be who I really am.

Nah he hasn't changed, he's still a broke ass drunken skydiver who likes to parade around other drunken skydivers (mostly men) buck naked:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?