OMFG water bill

A friend of mine has a house at Sea Ranch (CA) that's not his primary residence. Residential water there is pretty expensive. He left the place for two weeks, and his daughter forgot to jiggle the float on their leaky toilet as they were leaving. His water bill was more than $1000 for that month because the toilet ran for 2 weeks:o

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

A friend of mine has a house at Sea Ranch (CA) that's not his primary residence. Residential water there is pretty expensive. He left the place for two weeks, and his daughter forgot to jiggle the float on their leaky toilet as they were leaving. His water bill was more than $1000 for that month because the toilet ran for 2 weeks:o

I'm NOT looking forward to our next one here.

We're on a couple of acres, about 1/2 of which is fenced in...I put new grass in at the beginning of the month and have had to run the sprinklers almost daily to get it going.

OUR sprinklers are on the main...most everyone else in the neighborhood has a well for landscape hydration...might just need to look into that.

:S

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

99% of the time, I'm very grateful that we're on a well. A deep well. Our water tastes great, and it doesn't have added fluoride or chlorine (which is helpful because we have a 2000 gallon fish pond).

The main drawback is that we are dependent on power in order to have water. [:/]

I don't worry too much about water usage, either, because the water goes back into the soil which filters down and thus becomes one with the water table. B|

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

>>>>>because the water goes back into the soil which filters down and thus becomes one with the water table.

Mmmmm... Poi poo :D

Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I had a leaky toilet like that too. Rigged it every time I flushed to make sure the rubber stopper would seal up properly. Problem is my wife never did, even after I explained it to her. Water bill is normally about $35 a month. Well it went up to $120 the month before due to all the time it ran. That's when I finally stopped procrastinating and replaced the toilet flushing parts. :|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Not a problem we have in Scotland but surely it would be better to fix it ?. I had one where a Seal went i just popped out got a replacement unit drained it fixed it !. Same this week with the irritating bloody washing machine door. Door lock sticking (age), so ordered the spare paid about $20. Got it by post 3 days later fitted in 30 mins Including Tea break :D job done. Now works every time, first time. Saved about $400+ for a new machine same level

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

I borrowed a friend's cabin a few times. One of the things on the to do check list when leaving was turn off the water at the main valve. He had the same problem one time himself. With water getting so expensive here in California, you have to do everything you can to save water.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

What do YOUR curtains smell like?

If that part of your toilet smells bad, I think you're using it wrong :ph34r:

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

oldwomanc6

The replacement flapper assembly cost $6-10 bucks, takes 10 minutes to do.

Well, her price seems reasonable.:)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

oldwomanc6

***>>>>>because the water goes back into the soil which filters down and thus becomes one with the water table.

Mmmmm... Koi poo :D

FiFY :ph34r:

I wasn't drunk in street; I was drunk in bar. ;)
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

BIGUN

******>>>>>because the water goes back into the soil which filters down and thus becomes one with the water table.

Mmmmm... Koi poo :D

FiFY :ph34r:

I wasn't drunk in street; I was drunk in bar. ;)

They THREW me in to Public!

wmw999

What do YOUR curtains smell like?

If that part of your toilet smells bad, I think you're using it wrong :ph34r:

Wendy P.

Oh, I suppose next you'll be telling us it shouldn't be growing hair either! :P
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

We had a hard winter a couple of years ago. Froze a couple of places in the sprinkler system which then leaked once summer came around. I got a bill for $2,400. Fortunately, the water company allows an adjustment once per year if you can send a bill showing you had the problem fixed. Saved me $2,400. You might want to ask if your water company has such a feature.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

There are some apartments that our company owns and one of the tenants turned off their service, but the city did not turn off the main valve.

The fill valve in the toilet decided to fail . . . 1896.00 was the bill.

After the repair, 150.00 or so, the city wiped the bill, and only made us pay about 100 bucks for investigation.

I think that was fair.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

JohnMitchell

It cost me $300 a month to keep 3/4 of an acre of grass green. Next year I said "F-it, I don't care if it turns brown."

In the Seattle area???:o
I thought it rained all the time there.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

JohnMitchell

In the Seattle area???:o
I thought it rained all the time there.

Shhh! Don't tell anyone that the summers here are the best. We're all trying to keep it secret.;)

All 3 days of summer?! :ph34r: