Muppetdog

Just an Audible Idea

I was thinking, and if any company does this I want credit, just kidding. Because of some of the fatalities this year I was thinking. They should have a 4th alarm on all the popular audibles that would go off when you are under canopy that told you you should no matter what not cut away your main and just go strait to your reserve. I could be at a lower decible sounding then the others so it did not freak you out but just for a reminder that if by any chance somting were to happen, like a colision or what not, that you do not have the option to cut your main away and to just dump your reserve. I know that dumping your reserve with your main out is recomended if you are low to pervent just hitting the ground with out anyting in the case of a low cut-away. Just a thought, what do your guys think (let the egos flow)
Blues,
MD

I think, at the moment that such a situations would ocour where you would need to whip out the old reserve into a spinning main, some people might panice or make the wrong decision in a low altitude situation. It might be nice to have that extra warning to save a life. If you train your self to be aware of your maual alti and be that aware that's great, but a little extra warning would not be bad. Just my two cents. I can think of a couple of faitals that that would have helped reading through the Paracutest mag and on this site.

I think you missed the point, and maybe the larger picture...... when it the trend of relying on devices going to end? It is scary the number of Cypres fires I've seen, and how the explanation for many of them end up starting "I didn't hear my Dytter"
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

That is scary. I do think a good mental back up of checking your manual alti should be subconsciously in place before relying on an audible, and hell when the cows start getting really big that should also be a sing. I have noticed in a lot of freefly footage the good skydivers still check the old wrist quite a bit even though you know they all have audibles. But if those skills are learned correctly there is nothing wrong with, and with out creating dependency, to have some more back up.

MD